We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes - confused

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Clothes - confused

Hi

I watch a lot (a lot) of programmes on Egypt. What is confusing me is the fact that people there (tourists and locals) are wearing jumpers and jackets and long sleeved tops. It's hot in Egypt...shouldn't it be short sleeve/no sleeve tops and no jacket/jumper??? I know in the evening it can be colder (is that the right word??).

Are there any places I should cover up completely, as a girl at the dentist told me, the other day, she is going in a few weeks and the tour operator has told her in one particular town on the Nile Cruise she should cover up completely??

I'm on strong pain killers and one of the side effects is a raised body tempreature so I NEVER wear long sleeved tops (it's a long standing joke at the hospital where I work)....will this be a problem??

Thanks

Tattooedfairy :o)

Emo Tours Egypt - Day Tours
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Aladin Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Luxor and Aswan Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Kingfisher Tours Egypt
Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothes - confused

Reference the wearing of jackets and jumpers, I would expect you might have seen programs made in Cairo were in the winter it is colder than Luxor. But still in the winter December, January it can get quite cold at night or early morning and I wear a vest and thick jumper but I was still freezing on the ferry boat as we crossed late at night. With reference covering up I will let the ladies of the forum answer that.

Phil

2. Re: Clothes - confused

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2008, 18:04
Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothes - confused

As a tourist, travelling the beaten path, there are no places in Egypt where you have to cover up "burka-style". In some mosques, women can be asked to cover their hair, and it goes for both women and men that you should wear clothes which cover shoulders and knees and clothes which are not too revealing or skimpy.

The what-to-wear debate must be as old as tourism and at least as old as Trip Advisor.

Yes, you will see skimpily clad females and bare-chested males prancing around, and while they are not getting arrested, they sure do attract more attention that the person who is sensibly dressed, both according to the local culture and according to the climate. While it is not "forbidden" to wear skimpy clothes etc. it certainly isn't respectful towards the local culture.

On another note, walking around with much skin exposed makes you hotter than covering up in light clothing, and that is one of the reasons you see Egyptians wearing long. lightweight galabeyas (kaftans) also during summer. You are not going to see an Egyptian in shorts and t-shirt.

If your tops are regular t-shirts, loose fit, then that is fine. You will not offend locals and at the same time you will not feel covered up, which, I must add again is not necessary in Egypt.

So, regular t-shirts, regular pants, skirts and shorts below the knees, capris, dresses with sleeves (and it is okay if they are short, just not sleeveless), jeans, shirts, basically regular casual clothing is fine! Just make sure it is loose, comfy and not too revealing.

And like you say yourself, it can be cold after the sun is down. Likewise early morning, and travelling in the coldest months, December and January, Egypt is not hot-hot-hot. Also, restaurants and tour buses can be icy cold due to aircon, so layers are a good thing. Bring long trousers/jeans, socks plus a cardigan/jacket.

You are tourist and will never really blend in no matter what, but it never hurts to dress in a sensible way. You will receive attention, some of it will be unwanted, but you are minimizing it by dressing sensibly.

Have a great trip

Louise

North Shields...
Level Contributor
13 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothes - confused

what about an evening out in a resturant what to wear? and what not to wear?

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothes - confused

I'd say it depends on the restaurant, but as this is posted in the Luxor-forum, I take it that we are not talking about a top-class gourmet place in Cairo....anyway, your usual, nice, casual clothes are also fine for restaurants. Most places prefer that you do not look too casual and shabby for dinner, but if you wear normal clothes, you will be fine. Long dresses or black tie are not required.

Some places prefer that men wear closed shoes for dinner, but that said, I have yet to see a man being refused service for wearing sandals!

The above goes for most Cairo restaurants as well, although few places require a more formal dress-code.

Louise

North Shields...
Level Contributor
13 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothes - confused

Thanks Louise.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothes - confused

I would agree with Louise about what to wear. The hotel restaurants it is best to wear smart but casual, but local restaurants if a man was dressed in shorts and sandles, he would still get served as they need your custom. When I go to Luxor in the summer I always wear sandles in the evening as it is still hot. but not shorts. The only place you will need a jacket and tie is the Winter Palace restaurant.

Phil

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothes - confused

There have been many posts on this forum regarding appropriate attire for women in Egypt. My advice is to dress in respect of the Muslim religion - do not wear skimpy tops, shorts or skirts in the street and at the ancient sites. Dress modestly and sensibly.

Also, regrading a previous comment regarding covering in mosques -

"In some mosques, women can be asked to cover their hair, and it goes for both women and men that you should wear clothes which cover shoulders and knees and clothes which are not too revealing or skimpy."

- the only mosque that I know that female tourists are not required to cover their hair is the The Mosque of Muhammad Ali at the Citadel in Cairo although women with bare shoulders and wearing shorts will be given a covering to wear.If you are able to gain entry to any other mosque as a tourist you will be required to wear a scarf.

I do not know of any town on the Nile Cruise where you have to cover completely and I have done 4 cruises.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothes - confused

Hi there

I think all your questions have been answered on what to and what not to wear.

Regarding the colder weather, I was in Luxor one year at the end of November, beginning of December, and it was cold at night, which really took me by surprise as I'd not packed for cold weather! I had to buy a nice warm shawl to cover up at nights, and it was quite chilly in the early mornings too before the sun got up properly. It was really strange seeing all the locals wearing jackets and fleeces.

Taking a scarf/shawl with you (or buying one in Luxor) might be a good idea as you can use this to shield you from the sun if it's too hot, it also helps to cover up and it's useful when in restaurants that have very fierce air conditioning.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothes - confused

Thank you for all the advice on what to wear.

Just got to pack now :o)