We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skip Cairo? & other tips please

Iowa
Level Contributor
301 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Skip Cairo? & other tips please

Hello,

Have only a short time to visit in April (7days).

Questions:

1) Can I fly direct into Luxor? I don't feel a huge need to go to Cairo. I guess that is strange, but cutting it out would slow my pace & allow more relaxation :)

2) Can anyone suggest an itinerary that would get me to the most amazing sites of Luxor & Abul Simbel within 7 days without a rushed feeling?

3)I have been told it will be burning hot there in early April, so I guess I am limited to morning & evening touring only?

Thanks so much!

Rebecca

Emo Tours Egypt - Day Tours
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Aladin Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Luxor and Aswan Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Kingfisher Tours Egypt
Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skip Cairo? & other tips please

Hi G,

1. Strange that you don't feel the earge to visit the Pyramids. They're one of the wonders of the world! Yes there are direct flights from Europe to Luxor.

2. What about the following itinerary:

Day 1

Arrival to Luxor.

Afternoon: Visits to Karnak and Luxor Temples.

DAY 2

Hot-air balloon in Luxor and visits to the sites on the west bank: Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, Hatshepsut temple, Memnon Colossus.

Afternoon: more sightseeing in Luxor.

Day 3

More sightseeing in Luxor.

Dy 4

- Luxor-Aswan by car with visits to Edfu and Kom Ombo temples.

- Visit to the Old Bazaar.

DAY 5

-Visits to Aswan major sites: Philae Temple, Kalabsha Temple, Aswan High Dam, Unfinished Obelisk.

- Felucca ride at sunset.

Day 6

- Aswan - Abu Simbel.

- Nubian Museum in the afternoon.

DAY 7

Sailing in a felucca all day and visiting the Botanical Garden, Elephantine Island, Monastery of St. Simeon, and the Tombs of the Nobles.

Transfer back to Luxor by train or car.

3. Yes it might be hot in April so it's better to visit sites in the early morning or afternoon.

CHEERS!

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skip Cairo? & other tips please

Hello Rebecca,

1) Yes, you could. Luxor has an international airport. A taxi from the airport to your hotel should cost you about 35 to 45 LE- depending on how good you are at haggling.

2)I just arrived last week from a 20 day trip with my husband, so based on my experience I would recommend you the following: if you arrive in the afternoon, and you have any energy left try to visit the Luxor Temple. It should be a short walk from your hotel. The following day, if you're traveling independently, take a taxi for 15 to 20 LE to Karnak Temple. You could also hire a taxi for half a day to visit the West Bank which is where the Valleys of Kings, Queens, Tombs of Nobles and the Hatshepsut temple are located. The tour guides aren't allowed to accompany you inside these places. In Valley of the Kings avoid the Rameses tomb #34 (the stairs are very steep and if you are claustrophobic or hate saunas this is sure to make you sweat), besides there are others more impressive like #2 & #9. Remember that tours are rushed, and the guides cannot accompany you inside (except for the Luxor and Karnak temples).

Abu Simbel is the most difficult place to reach... some people we met during our trip flew, while others got there by cruise, we went by land (read convoy), so everybody no matter their choice of transportation had to wake up at 2 or 3am to make it there. Thus, if you go on a cruise that includes this temple, make sure you are aware of the time it stops in every temple so it doesn't happen to you like some of my fellow cruise mates who slept through the stop unaware of the cruise stop.

3) Most tours are during the morning, and the sun is really strong. Don't forget your sunglasses, hats, water, and solar protection. We decided to travel during November/December because of the weather, and we wore t-shirts the whole time, and a light jacket during the night.

Some advice: the hotel, bank and taxi are going to tell you they don't have small notes, don't let them get away with it. I just questioned it with a face in disbelief and all of the sudden the exact amount missing would appear. A taxi driver waited for my husband who went to the small shop for change. Before you get on a taxi or buy food ask about prices. You are supposed to haggle every where- even for water. Whenever you visit a temple, you will find men working there who are going to point the obvious and then ask you for a tip- say no to their offer, and walk away. Every time we walked near a shop or along the main street (Corniche el Nile in Aswan and Luxor), everyone (read everyone) asked every other minute if we wanted a Felucca (sail boat), caleche (horse carriage), or taxi ride. Women wear scarves to cover their hair and so any woman showing anything will get a lot of attention. I'm from NY and not even wearing the deepest cleavage has gotten as much attention in NYC as wearing a black crew-neck T-shirt got me over there. Muslim women aren't allowed to show their arms, legs, hair, even when the weather is very HOT. If you haven't seen the Pyramids I would squeeze it into- you have the time. The hot air balloon over there is really cheap- 250 LE per person- go to Corniche el Nile and look for the travel agencies near the Palace Hotel. If you buy it from a hotel, they will charge you a steep commission. From Luxor to Aswan there is only a day of cruising (or one night)- so keep this in mind when booking one.

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skip Cairo? & other tips please

Hello Rebecca,

1) Yes, you could. Luxor has an international airport. A taxi from the airport to your hotel should cost you about 35 to 45 LE- depending on how good you are at haggling.

2)I just arrived last week from a 20 day trip with my husband, so based on my experience I would recommend you the following: if you arrive in the afternoon, and you have any energy left try to visit the Luxor Temple. It should be a short walk from your hotel. The following day, if you're traveling independently, take a taxi for 15 to 20 LE to Karnak Temple. You could also hire a taxi for half a day to visit the West Bank which is where the Valleys of Kings, Queens, Tombs of Nobles and the Hatshepsut temple are located. The tour guides aren't allowed to accompany you inside these places. In Valley of the Kings avoid the Rameses tomb #34 (the stairs are very steep and if you are claustrophobic or hate saunas this is sure to make you sweat), besides there are others more impressive like #2 & #9. Remember that tours are rushed, and the guides cannot accompany you inside (except for the Luxor and Karnak temples).

Abu Simbel is the most difficult place to reach... some people we met during our trip flew, while others got there by cruise, we went by land (read convoy), so everybody no matter their choice of transportation had to wake up at 2 or 3am to make it there. Thus, if you go on a cruise that includes this temple, make sure you are aware of the time it stops in every temple so it doesn't happen to you like some of my fellow cruise mates who slept through the stop unaware of the cruise stop.

3) Most tours are during the morning, and the sun is really strong. Don't forget your sunglasses, hats, water, and solar protection. We decided to travel during November/December because of the weather, and we wore t-shirts the whole time, and a light jacket during the night.

Some advice: the hotel, bank and taxi are going to tell you they don't have small notes, don't let them get away with it. I just questioned it with a face in disbelief and all of the sudden the exact amount missing would appear. A taxi driver waited for my husband who went to the small shop for change. Before you get on a taxi or buy food ask about prices. You are supposed to haggle every where- even for water. Whenever you visit a temple, you will find men working there who are going to point the obvious and then ask you for a tip- say no to their offer, and walk away. Every time we walked near a shop or along the main street (Corniche el Nile in Aswan and Luxor), everyone (read everyone) asked every other minute if we wanted a Felucca (sail boat), caleche (horse carriage), or taxi ride. Women wear scarves to cover their hair and so any woman showing anything will get a lot of attention. I'm from NY and not even wearing the deepest cleavage has gotten as much attention in NYC as wearing a black crew-neck T-shirt got me over there. Muslim women aren't allowed to show their arms, legs, hair, even when the weather is very HOT. If you haven't seen the Pyramids I would squeeze it into- you have the time. The hot air balloon over there is really cheap- 250 LE per person- go to Corniche el Nile and look for the travel agencies near the Palace Hotel. If you buy it from a hotel, they will charge you a steep commission. From Luxor to Aswan there is only a day of cruising (or one night)- so keep this in mind when booking one.

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skip Cairo? & other tips please

Hello Rebecca,

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skip Cairo? & other tips please

Hello Rebecca,

Iowa
Level Contributor
301 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skip Cairo? & other tips please

I really do appreciate the time for the replies! I just booked air, so I will be off then in April :)

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Rebecca

new york
Level Contributor
26 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skip Cairo? & other tips please

Hi Rebecca,

My boyfriend and I went to Egypt in Nov for 9 days and there is no way i would bypass Cairo- luxor is only good for sights... there is a police convoy that goes from Aswan to Luxor- it's not bad at all and the police convoy stop to EDFU temple is amazing ! Since your going to Abu Simbel, i suggest staying in Aswan- it's four hrs away and again, you'd have to use a police convoy at either 4am or 11 am. let me know if you have any questions- have a great trip!

8. Re: Skip Cairo? & other tips please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 23:18