We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos & Recommended Restaurants

Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos & Recommended Restaurants

We travel to Luxor 19/01/2009, probably a silly question but will we need mosquito repellent?

Staying at the Iberotel, can anyone recommend good places to eat nearby. Also what is the average cost of a meal, beer, wine etc?

Many thanks

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
38 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos & Recommended Restaurants

I just got back from Luxor last week. I did not use mosquito repellant, and did not get bitten. Incidentally, I usually prove tasty when there are mosquitoes present.

Sorry, I can't recommend any of the restaurants in Luxor...

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos & Recommended Restaurants

There are lots of quite acceptable restaurants in Luxor, just check out the restaurant tab on the left hand column.

As for mosquitoes, I doubt whether you will have much trouble at this time of year. However, being at the Iberotel, which is right on the Nile, I may be wrong. If you have any trouble you should go to a local pharmacy, where you can buy "Off" made by Johnsons and effective without being too costly.

Hope you have a great time.

Best wishes,

Edward.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos & Recommended Restaurants

Hi there

I usually get bothered by mozzies no matter where or when I travel and the repellent I use is Boots own make (it's in a grey bottle). I use the gel rub-on one, which isn't that pleasant to put on, but it sure keeps the wee blighters away from me!! You can also get rubber bangles impregnated with citronella that are quite good too.

The Iberotel is fairly close to many restaurants that have sprung up in the streets opposite the Nile Palace and Sonesta. We've not been since October 2007 so it wouldn't be fair to recommend anything as things can change so much where restaurants are concerned in that time. You can check out reviews here on TA or check out www.luxortraveltips.com where you'll find reviews of restaurants, maps etc., that may help. It's the same with prices - I'm not sure of these at the moment.

The local beer is not too bad, but I don't like the local wine at all. Imported wine, spirits etc. are very expensive and some restaurants don't sell alcohol at all. We usually bring in our own favourite tipple and buy mixers when we get to Luxor so that we can have a drink on the balcony when we come back at night.

A lot of the restaurants serve mainly western style food, but a lot of places selling local food have appeared now too, so it depends on what you like as to where you eat. You'll be spoiled for choice really as there are some good restaurants in some of the hotels too (but they will be more expensive compared to the independent ones).

The hotel is about 20 minutes walk or less from Luxor Temple so it's in a fairly good position.

uk
Level Contributor
592 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos & Recommended Restaurants

If you are worried regarding Mozzies in your room at night Boots sell a plug-in Mozzie snuffer (last 45 days) for £8.80 plus the usual rub on stuff.

If you turn right out the Ibrotel there are some fine eating and drinking establishments within walking distance.

London
Level Contributor
393 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos & Recommended Restaurants

The Iberotel is close to my favourite restaurant in Luxor - Esquires/Bar 2000. If you turn right out of the hotel towards the Sonesta, the restaurant is down a side road on the left. It has a big red adn white sign which you can't miss. It's fairly close to the Morris Hotel. They sell a mixture of Egyptian and European food - their Shawarma is the best I've ever had. They sell Shahrazade wine for LE75 a bottle; we have found this to be by far the nicest of the Egyptian wines, and it's really quite drinkable.

My husband has always reacted very badly to mosquito bites, to the extent where we've rarely had an overseas holiday without him having to see a doctor or go to an emergency clinic. For some reason, he has never had a problem in Luxor and hardly gets bitten. He always covers himself in repellant, but this has never stopped the mosquitos in any other country.

lancashire
Level Contributor
95 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos & Recommended Restaurants

we just got back this week we did not get bitten but used plenty of wipes and repellent day and night they are there just use the above better to be safe i found the local wine fine only drink red though about 80 le english a tenner in most restruants we liked the local beer between 10 and 16 le on the street 1.20 to 2 pound english hotels alot more restruants we liked lanterns the best also maxines 7days 7ways fine about 30 to 35 english 3 course with wine for 2 nice and warm tut jumpers or jackets at night good little quite bar above 7days 7ways restruant 10 le for beer cheapest i found

England
Level Contributor
126 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos & Recommended Restaurants

Hi,

We returned early December and did get bitten, but I think that was when we were out late on the West Bank in shorts. We used a plug -in mossie thingy in the room and at night I used Avon skin so soft body oil spray - the green one - which works really well.

Restaurants - we only had one mediocre meal at The Metropolitan which is right on the Nile. Near to the Iberotel are many restaurants. We pacticularly enjoyed Casablanca ( same street as Lantern) and more round Luxor Temple are Jamboree and Oasis both well worth a visit. I don't think we paid more than £14 for any meal - two courses and large bottle water. On the West Bank, get off the ferry turn left and go along the road - restaurant with red coke cola sign forgotten name but you eat up on the roof and gets loads!!! But beware the mossies.

Enjoy you holiday.

8. Re: Mosquitos & Recommended Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 02:20
Get answers to your questions about Luxor
Recent Conversations