We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aint that grand

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Topic
Aint that grand

It seems the continuing discussion regarding tips in Egypt has offended someone. Why can't people just have a debate on the merits of tipping or other things that they feel aggrieved by in Luxor without someone (probably someone who lives in Luxor and has an interest in the tourist industry in Luxor)getting hot under the collar. My topic on tipping was a sensible topic designed to get people to talk about the issue and give ideas or opinions on how best to go about it (if people want to that is). I don't get why this topic has been pulled, if people have an opinion on this it will stay near the top of the list, if not it will slip down the list. Come on Mr/Mrs /Miss/Ms moderator let people discuss the issues regarding Luxor without getting paranoid.

Plymouth England
Level Contributor
372 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aint that grand

I agree 100%.

Without postings like yours how are people going to be aware of the various ways and customs that they will find there?

Surely all points are valid both good and bad.

Everywhere you go has it's good and bad points Luxor is no different why can't people be informed and be able to make their own minds up?

Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aint that grand

I found the thread very informative.

Fore warned is fore-armed, so to say.

We're going to Luxor for the first time in June - I was expecting tipping expectations to a degree, but not like what had been posted on that thread.

Shame it was pulled - that sort of thread should be what TA is all about - the clue is in the domain name: tripADVISOR.

And that's all it was IMO - ADVICE!

3. Re: Aint that grand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 February 2009, 13:43
Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aint that grand

I also agree that everyone has a right to express their (travel-related) opinion, whether it is positive or negative as long as the debate is staying sober. Bob's recent post about tipping was seen from both angles, enabling the sensible would-be traveller to see this subject from different angles.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aint that grand

I agree with LouiseAl.

I thought that post was quite a good one and we did manage to cover quite a few pages and I'm sure it helped a few people to understand the hows and whyfors and what to look out for.

Shame it was suddenly brought back to the top and turned nasty after a few days abscence. That's another wealth of information just gone shooting straight down the sewer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Aint that grand

Hi bob62,

You probably don't know just how accurate you are in what you have posted.

I find myself in a similar situation. I am rapidly losing all faith in this forum as an accurate source of information. If you post a truthful opinion or detail an actual unpleasant experience, that 'ruffles the feathers' of those with vested interests, or opposes the opinion or advice of various 'Destination Experts', then it would seem thru a conspiricy of PM ing eachother, they get your post removed via the abuse of a voting system.

The 'voting' system is not there for that purpose, but is manipulated to this end, to ensure that posts like yours and mine are not seen.

The posts I had previously removed were reviewed by TA staff and re-instated and I recieved an apology.

In defence of what you call the 'Moderator', I don't think a moderator removes posts, but that it is automatic once the 'inapropriate' button has been clicked a certain number of times, hence the PM conspiracy system.

This is not speculation on my part. I was told of this abuse by TA and told to report it should it happen again.

Well, it just has and I (like you) have had yet another post removed, for telling the truth. So we'll see what happens with that one.

All anyone has to do is to read the posts on this thread (from prospective visitors, repeat visitors and some DE's to Luxor) to see, as you rightly say, that this is the information people want to read.

And by not allowing it, then its value as an information source diminishes.

What is the point of giving everybody a view thru 'rose tinted glasses'? Far better to give them balanced views and accurate expectations.

Hopefully you will get to read this before someone gets it pulled. I've got the stopwatch on it . . .

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aint that grand

I'm surprised that the thresd on tipping was pulled as it is something that all travellers to Egypt need to be aware of and be prepared for. Everyone has a different take on this issue and all travellers need to be comfortable with being confronted for baksheesh at every turn.

Again, only tip when you are confident that the service received deserves that little extra and don't be bullied into handing over more money than you really want to.

I have mentioned previously that Egyptians don't tip that generously amongst themselves so don't expoect that you need to go overboard with gratification. I have also mentioned that wages are very, very low in Egypt and unfortunately in a way, tipping from tourists does boost the economy.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,393 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aint that grand

I agree with EG, it was a good post initially but unfortunately it got personal at the end. Negative posts are important for balance but if they get personal, someone will report them and they will probably be pulled.

9. Re: Aint that grand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2009, 13:14
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aint that grand

Yes, I agree that EG and Nefertari are quite correct. There was a lot of good information here until things got a bit personal – it’s a shame that the informative posts hadn’t been kept though instead of pulling the whole lot off.

I was watching this one with interest because I'm going back in May this year and it looks to me like the tipping thing has got right out of hand compared to when I was last there in October 2007. However, I’ll be able to make up my own mind and perhaps post an article when I get back.