We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxor-Aswan cruise price compare?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Luxor-Aswan cruise price compare?

Hello - thank you for the excellent advice here, particularly from location experts such as The Egyptian Guide!

I'm travelling to Egypt with GF this month and am looking into cruise prices. It seems that the operators themselves don't seem to encourage direct bookings, and the agents are often cagey about pricing. I don't need flights, etc., just the cruise booking itself.

Once I've identified a shortlist of cruises/operators from the advice here, how can I identify the best prices available? Hopefully there's a price comparison service available?

If not, advice on best deals for a ~4 night Luxor-Aswan cruise, approx 17th Feb 09, budget a max of £250 (~2000 EGP, ~277 EUR), would be greatly appreciated. Or even just good value cruise booking-only agents to check out?

I've already identified that, e.g., a 4 night PNC cruise (dbl room), with tours etc included, booked via "Min Travel" is 58 EUR/nt/psn = ~£210/psn / (~£230 for guaranteed top deck):

min-travel.com/nile_river_cruises/presidenti…

Replies ASAP would be greatly appreciated; many thanks in advance!

Ben, UK

England
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxor-Aswan cruise price compare?

Hi all - any suggestions on this? I'm hoping to get booked up by close of tomorrow. Just ordered flights and main hotel today .. can't wait!

Many thanks, Ben

England
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxor-Aswan cruise price compare?

The weight of advice on this subject is deafening .. it's going to take weeks to plough through all the nuggets of wisdom shared here!

NOVA
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxor-Aswan cruise price compare?

from what I have gathered from my research, I believe one of the best deals is a Movenpick cruise. The Royal Lotus is $168/night/foreigner (as opposed to the resident rate, which I believe you are not).

The sonesta st. george runs about $600/night/double room.

A&K runs about $450-$550/night/double room, depending on which boat you take.

I don't know of any expat who has taken anything other than these. I have read a lot about the Presidential on these boards, but know nothing further about it.

Whichever you choose, you will have an awesome time!!!

England
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxor-Aswan cruise price compare?

*Thank you* Twainy, was beginning to think people couldn't get to the forum due to the snow! (it's snowiest in 20yrs here in UK at mo)

Thank you for the recommendations, will take a look at those now and post back.

Can't wait for the trip! Am flying into Cairo, spending 3nts seeing the sights, taking train (?) down to Luxor, going on 4nt Luxor-Aswan cruise, then travelling across to Marsa Alam and staying in beach huts (2nts) and a 4* beach hotel for remainder of hol.

Booked flights yesterday: London-Cairo, which pretty expensive (£300+ rtn each, inc hold baggage) but more convenient for our route. Hurghada is much cheaper, www.kayak.co.uk is an excellent tool.

A couple of tips for internal EgyptAir flights - a route like Hurghada-Cairo seems to either be ~236 EGP (~£29) or 430 EGP (~£53) depending on the time you pick. You can get cheaper by booking via eBookers (e.g., ~£22 instead of ~£29). Or if booking direct, be sure to choose Egypt in the "home country" box in top right corner - makes prices cheaper!

Finally - got good bargain on hotel: 5nts in the 4* Marsa Alam hotel 'Iberotel Coraya Beach Hotel' (highly praised on TA) for ~£158 (bearing in mind the GBP is faring poorly at the moment) :)

England
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxor-Aswan cruise price compare?

Twainny - are those prices USD? Even the cheapest works out at £460 for 4nts if so .. well above my budget I'm afraid.

Might be partly due to poor performance of the GBP at mo (tho it's only down by ~8.5% from typical USD exchange rates).

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxor-Aswan cruise price compare?

Hi Psdie,

you are welcome any time and hope info is helpful for youlets tell you what is going on with cruises in egypt, as most of the local travel agenccis who own a cruise they are the only way to book through ,other owners they sell the cabins by seasons to some brokers who in their turn sell it by trip to local travel agencies, so I would recommend if you could contact a trustworthy travel agency in Egypt , you can have a look on FAQ of Cairo forum there is a list there prepared by my collegue Wendy the DE of Cairo from the recommendations on TA, sure a local agency will be willing to answer you and book you a good cruise that suits your need, the price those brokers sell to the travel agncies are much less than what is published online on the cruises web pages, that is why they can offer you a good rate after adding thier commision

reading your itinerary i noticed you will go on 4nights cruise from luxor to Aswan, then you are going to the Red Sea area, this means you must go up again from Aswan to Luxor to be able to go from there to the Red Sea, why dont you consider getting a 3nights cruise then an extra night in a nice hotel in Luxor to save yourself the headach of getting a transfer from Aswan to luxor?! this can be an idea

regarding the cruise rate, when you mentioned about the 2000 Egyptian pounds do you mean per person?! if so then you can get a nice cruise but not from the super deluxones, you can get a delux cruise with such a price as it will be around 90US dollars per person per night, please have a look on the list of recommended cruises on the FAQ of Cairo and luxor

I wish you a great trip in Egypt

Aswan, Egypt
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Luxor-Aswan cruise price compare?

Hi Twain.

Movenpick costs around 130$ per night per person including the sightseeing

Best Wishes

England
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luxor-Aswan cruise price compare?

Thank you Egyptian Guide, that's a useful insight .. although it still means I have to e-mail around all the cruise companies to get prices (a pain, particularly with the limited time I have). It would be great if your 'Opinions About Nile Cruises' included typical pricing guidelines (e.g., based on what readers say they paid), to give a feel for what is affordable.

Thanks to Mohamed for a price for Movenpick - that means it's presumably beyond my budget of £62.50/psn a night (~$91, ~509 EGP). Although again - it could be that the right agent sells it for less; there's no way of telling.

Egyptian Guide - regarding the Marsa Alam transfer, why do you say I'd need to travel back to Luxor? My understanding is that the convoy system no longer applies to daytime travel (as of ~Dec 08) and tourists can now board regular buses, etc., up to 6pm? I've also read that it's quicker to get from Aswan to Marsa Alam than from Luxor - is that right?

Glad you brought the subject, as it's something I was about to ask about!

Many thanks everyone for the advice so far - suggestions on good cruises within my budget greatly appreciated. I will also contact some agencies, ask the best they can offer within my budget, and report back here .. although I'm wary of the reliability of this approach!

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luxor-Aswan cruise price compare?

Hi there,

I agree that it would be a great service if those who went on cruise would also post whatever they paid for the cruise.

But most travellers who do a Nile cruise books it as part of a package, and are not necessarily aware of the cost of the cruise itself.

I realise this doesn't help you in your query here and now, but that is an explanation of why it may have been so hard to come by any conclusive replies from other members.

I hope you are able to find a cruise that you'll be happy with.

Louise

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luxor-Aswan cruise price compare?

Hi Psdie,

about the prices it is exactly as Louise said that most of people who placed their post paid the cruise among a full package that is why they cant give the rate for the cruise itself

Also you must be aware that from a period to another price differ greatly, summer is much cheaper than winter, plus in high seasons price gets up 2 or 3 times more than regular winter prices, that is why it is hard to judge

I really advise that when you contact the egyptian travel agencies give them your budget as well as also suggest to them names of cruises you would like to have and then wait till they get you an offer

regarding the convoy, yes its free moving during day time BUT you must follow the regular rutes, tourists are NOT allowed out of the secured rutes by the tourism police, so you must get up to Luxor and then from there to Safaga then to Marsa Alam, long road, isnt it?! that is why i suggested for you the 3 nights cruise from Aswan to Luxor and then an extra night on Luxor as actually you will have the SAME sailing period as well as see same visits and the 4th night will not offer you much of a difference

wish you good luck with the bookings

Ahmed