We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
748 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos

Off to Luxor in two weeks time. Will there be a problem with mosquitos?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,179 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos

Hi,

If you're sensitive then yes; they were there 3 weeks ago & some of our party were bitten.

Here are some tips from the Sharm forum; plz check with your GP or health shop if in any doubt about the suggestions; Vit B works for me & I no longer get the golf ball type swellings!

MOSQUITOES:- Take Vit B1 pills just before going & during - you won't taste nice to the mozzies then. Thiamine, found in B1 is an irritant to them. Be aware that prolonged use may upset your mineral balance. Vit B1’s effectiveness is lessened thru alcohol.

Holland & Barrett sell timed-release ones; our body doesn’t store if for long so you can begin them the day before the hols.

Some people say take yeast pills instead, or marmite!!! (Eeewww!). I acknowledge Vit B1 doesn’t work for everyone, but maybe it’s worth a try?

Take Avon Skin so Soft / Woodland Fresh as it's a great repellent. (Some specifically recommend the Avon skin so soft dry oil spray "soft & fresh"; you want the blue/green bottle as this variety has the citronella in it, it is not in the pink one "soft & sensual" I use the pink one tho. It’s available online.

Some say get DEET from Boots, Jungle Formula. Please note that whilst DEET is effective, it can be harmful & should be used with caution. DEET is known to cause neurological damage, & once it enters the bloodstream, (after being absorbed through the skin) it makes its way to the nervous system, where it is known to cause seizures & even deaths. It can be especially harmful to children, which is why its use should be strictly limited with children.

Take a room plug in. If a real mozzie problem occurs in your room, ask reception to spray it when cleaning.

You can also get wristbands from Mothercare against mozzies (approx £4 each).

Aspivenin gadget from Boots (about £20) or online- pocket sized mini pump that will suck out the poison from mozzie bites etc.

There's also something called a ''clickit' ; it gives small electric shocks to the bitten area, which is supposed to stop the itching.

Regards

Newton le Willows
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos

I can vouch for Marmite. I start to eat it on toast for a couple of weeks before I go anywhere where mosquitos are a problem. Also take little plastic pots of it with me (you can sometimes get them in cafes). Used to get bitten all the time but not since I started doing this. Good job I love the stuff.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,179 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos

EeeeeeeewwwwwWWW!

:-0

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos

I must say I've never heard of the Marmite solution, but if it works for you, then go for it I say!!

Personally, I use Boots own make repellent gel. When I bought it last it was in a grey bottle with red writing. It wasn't that pleasant to rub on but when I used it early last year in Malaysia it worked very well and I didn't get bitten at all, which is amazing as these wee beasties always seek me out! I also used one of those rubber bands impregnated with citronella and have bought another one for wearing when I return to Luxor in May. They are also handy for hanging on pushchairs etc. if you have young children with you.

It doesn't matter what month I travel to Luxor - there's always a mozzie that will find me!!

UK
Level Contributor
340 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos

Garlic capsules (odorless) have the same effect as marmite. The smell is released through the skin that the mozzies pick up - cant be smelled by humans - you wont walk round stinking of garlic!I always take one a day for a couple of weeks before I go and take them with me! A bit easier than carrying pots of marmite around! I also recommend Avon skin so soft dry oil spray - must be soft and fresh! Its lovely to put on your skin after a shower and the mozzies hate it!

Northumberland, UK
Level Contributor
327 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos

Another recommended anti-mozzy repellent - I always use it and love it - Mosquito Milk, a roll-on type that contains very little deet and mostly citronella. Boots used to sell it but have now given up so I order it on-line. I've used it all over the world and never felt let down - and it's good for those of us with sensitive skins who can't do a lot of deet.

7. Re: Mosquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 06:24
Get answers to your questions about Luxor