We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

charging for children

Essex
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
charging for children

I am travelling to luxor at easter with my two girls (aged 9 and 5) I am wondering what charges apply to children in respect of:

a) visa at airport (same as adult £10?)

b) public transport, local minibuses

c) guided tours booked in Luxor and/or entry to sights

and common practice in restaurants..is it OK to order different dishes and share food - they are small eaters.

need to keep an eye on the budget and plan accordingly. Any advice welcome.

Thanks Terasa

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: charging for children

Hi,

If the children have their own passports they will be charged $15 each (or hand over £10 at the booths where they show the $15 sign; reps charge about £13 each at their desks.)

I don't always eat much & hubby & I sometimes share food or I will only have a starter & dessert; no problems.

Can't help with the other points but I'm sure someone will.

Regards

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: charging for children

Hi Terasa,

The visa is, as already said, $15 which at today's exchange rate is £10.49. I believe that they do not accept coins though.

The local mini-buses are not really meant for tourists, actually you might well be horrified at the state of many of them. That is not to say that you will not be allowed to travel on them though. The flat fare is 35 piastres (about 4p) and there are no child fares, or tickets, or change if you tender 50 piastres for a single. On the plus side, three can travel for 1le.

Local travel agents charge half price for under twelves, except where an airline ticket is involved.

The entrance fees are also reduced. (I think 50% also.)

Thankfully, sharing a meal is not uncommon in Luxor restaurants. My wife and I often do this, as we find that the heat and lack of physical work reduces one's appetite.

Once you get to Luxor, you can have a great time without constantly spending money. Don't worry!

Best wishes,

Edward.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: charging for children

Under 6 you do not have to buy a ticket so a tour company should offer a free place. Only the 9 year old should pay and that should be half price.

Using the local minibus is fun but you have to understand how they work, they do not have destination signs and you shout where you are going and if they stop they have room and are going there. Hardly any tourists use them.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,199 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: charging for children

Yes, you can order as much or as little as you want for the children to eat. Egyptians love children and will be very friendly to them. It is much cheaper to eat outside the hotels and the more local style places are always much cheaper then Western style.

Do make sure to keep them out of the sun and give them lots of water.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: charging for children

I've used the local buses on many occassions and they are great fun!! It would help to know a few words of Arabic to make the bus stop where you want.

Henne Quwias - Here's good.

I wouldn't like to take a couple of kids with me though, the seating arrangements tend to be a bit "friendly" (squashed)!!

6. Re: charging for children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 01:18