We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting foreign currency

Wales
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Getting foreign currency

We are due to go to Luxor next week, staying at the Joile Ville hotel. We are not sure whether to get our foreign currency whilst over here or whether we might get a better exchange rate when we are over in Luxor? Would the little bank in the hotel be able to change our English money at a good rate? Or is there a better, reputable place in Luxor to do this?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting foreign currency

Hi there

I'm not sure what the JV offers re currency exchange, but I think all the hotels do offer an exchange. It's better to change your Sterling over in Luxor rather than get it here in the UK (I've read you get about 10% more if you exchange in Luxor). If I remember correctly, I think the exchange rate is more or less the same at the hotels and the banks in Luxor. If that's not the case, someone on the forum will let you know.

lancashire
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting foreign currency

Stayed at the Jolie Ville for 2 weeks , took GBP and changed some every other day at the bank in the foyer.Got the going rate.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,934 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting foreign currency

Don't get it from the UK as you normally get around 10% more in Egypt. I stay at the JV and always think their bank rate is more or less the same as most banks in Luxor.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting foreign currency

Exchange rate here has been hovering around the 8le to 1GBP for a while now. A few days ago it was as high as 8.11 to 1 GBP today it is 7.94 to 1GBP. Don't know what it is in the UK but as others have said it will definitely be better here.

Have a great holiday

Regards Edward

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting foreign currency

I always take Sterling, change my first lot at the airport at the same time as getting my visa. I then change in £100 lots at the hotel, so that I can ask for small notes for tips.

Phil

Wales
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting foreign currency

Many thanks for all the advice. Will take GBP and change once we are over in Luxor.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
136 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting foreign currency

I took some $1 notes to use as tips as it is difficult getting small change in Egypt.

8. Re: Getting foreign currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 23:17