We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maritim jolie ville resort, luxor

Home Counties
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
maritim jolie ville resort, luxor

Going to the Maritim Jolie in Luxor on the 30th Sept 09 and wanted to know what temperature we can expect during the 1st week of October?

Also, will mosquito's be a big problem?

Is there a kettle and cups in the room?

Can you hear any prayer calling on the island?!

How far away is Karnak Temple?

Sorry to ask so many questions but thanks in advance of any responses.

Thanks.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maritim jolie ville resort, luxor

Weather, go to

wunderground.com/global/stations/62405.html

and look at the history section for last year in Sept/Oct

We didn't find the mosquito's a problem at all, apart from the first evening when I forgot to put any spray on. But we would go out in the evening which is the worst time. We also took an extra plug in, there is one provided. So one could go in the bath room and one in the bedroom.

Yes there is kettles in the room, we took extra tea bags. Also we found the cups very small, I bought a mug while I was there.

Couldn't hear any prayers while I was there.

Karnak is about 15 - 20mins in a taxi, not sure the cost, its 20 into town so maybe 30LE or 40LE to get to Karnak.

Phil

Home Counties
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: maritim jolie ville resort, luxor

Dear Phil

Thanks for the speedy reply. We will take more tea bags and possibly a couple of cups as a small cup o tea in the morning just won't do!

We cancelled the Sofitel Karnak purely because of a mosque being next door and reading reviews that a PA call goes out to the hotel workers at 4am. My partner would have kittens, we need a rest and that would be a nightmare.

We want some r&r so may not visit any sites but my 14 year old might get restless so its good to know that the temple is close by.

We always go to Egypt with plenty of bug repellant but I've heard that the little blighters are quite persistent around the Nile so wanted to be extra prepared.

I've checked out the weather link you kindly offered and we can look forward to (hopefully)approx 37 degrees which is good for us!

Thank you again for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: maritim jolie ville resort, luxor

I did the quad biking in April, your 14 year old might be interested in that. Got picked up from the hotel. But make sure your insurance covers it. It is very peaceful on the island we stayed near the adult pool so there was no children, although there was not that many staying anyway.

Phil

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
626 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: maritim jolie ville resort, luxor

Hi Bibbygrace,

Mosquitos won't be a problem if you're sensible; cover up exposed skin (especially for the hour or so around sunset), don't eat on the JV's outdoor terrace in the evening, and keep your room door firmly shut, especially after dark.

Kettles were a bit hit and miss when we were there, but a modest tip in advance to our ro om cleaner and a tray appeared very promptly afterwards :)

I'm a coffee snob.

The espresso provided in the restaurant at the JV is very good, but be aware the coffee powder and (especially) the non-dairy whitener type product provided in the rooms is truly horrible.

Take some Gold Blend and Coffee Mate from home (or tea bags and your favourite whitener)

The call to prayer at sunset is one of the haunting features of a holiday to a Muslim country, and the calls from the West Bank can be heard drifting across as you watch the sun set over the Nile.

The sound isn't intrusive at all, and couldn't be heard indoors with room doors shut. You won't be woken up at 4am!

Karnak is an easy taxi ride away, as Phil explained above. Luxor Temple can be accessed easily from the JV's free shuttle bus (or boat), as can the excellent Luxor museum.

I'd just add that it's VERY easy to tour either of these temples by yourself with a good guidebook .. so I'd suggest you don't book a tour or a guide unless you really want to hear the family tree of the ancient rulers recited in mind-numbing detail.

Luxor Temple is great to see by floodlight in the evening .. that's when the locals visit, so it's also a great place for people-watching before going on to a restaurant for dinner.

Our teenagers found the best bit of the holiday was exploring Luxor itself .. much more interesting than tombs, temples and dead dudes. Once you get away from the hotel quarter there's very little hassle and lots to see.

I'm sure your 14 yo will also enjoy it and want to go back.

Mentioned in this post
West Bank
West Bank
Palestinian Territories
Luxor Temple
Luxor Temple
3,350 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Home Counties
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: maritim jolie ville resort, luxor

Thank you so much for your response.

Dead dudes certainly won't cut it for my 14 year old but she'll enjoy the overall experience of the temples and museums....if we actually get round to leaving the resort that is!

Thank you for the tea/coffee heads up. We are not your typical brits abroad and could certainly survive for a week without it. However, it is nice when you first get up to have a cup of something before going to breakfast.

We will embrace the prayer calling at sunset but couldn't cope with it early in the morning!

Thank you again.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
626 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: maritim jolie ville resort, luxor

There's certainly plenty for kids and teenagers within the JV complex.

The biggie has to be the infinity pool - never seems crowded - and you'll really believe you're swimming in the Nile.

The bread lady will gladly give lessons in making pittas, and our lads decided they weren't too cool to enjoy a ride on Cleo the camel.

Your daughter may well enjoy the entirely harmless compliments from the drop-dead gorgeous young waiters ... just be careful to dress modestly and have a headscarf handy to ensure respect when exploring around the town itself.

There's also giant chess and table tennis - our lads ended up playing challenges against the pool boys for LE5 stakes.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: maritim jolie ville resort, luxor

I am afraid that Cleo has gone to the great desert in the sky, and it is now Ramasis that roams the island.

I did try the infinity pool in April, only because I thought I had to, it was freezing, no wonder there was hardly anyone in there.

Phil

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: maritim jolie ville resort, luxor

Forgot to mention, bibbygrace, you must go on the Falluca, only 20LE pp for an hour, you pay at reception so no need to haggle. Unfortunately we only had two days of wind during our stay which we could use them. But very relaxing just before sunset. They also do a fishing trip early morning if anyone is interested.

Phil

Home Counties
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: maritim jolie ville resort, luxor

Mediaskills and Phil900, thank you very much for all the tips. It's really good to be well informed of your destination.

We were looking forward to seeing Cleo so it is sad that she is no longer around.

My partner is an angler so will do the fishing trip and my daughter will enjoy the table tennis and bread making.

Can't wait.

Thanks again.

london
Level Contributor
234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: maritim jolie ville resort, luxor

hi me and my bf are going to mjv from 30th - 7th so may see you there!