We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which three to visit in VOKs

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Summerside, Canada
Level Contributor
438 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
which three to visit in VOKs

Would like some advice on which tombs to visit when we visit in Oct. Will be with a tour but understand we can purchase a 3/pack to visit on our own.

Thanks for any advice. Sharon

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which three to visit in VOKs

Hi Oreo,

The VoK ticket gets you into three tombs, whoever you go with. While your guide might suggest some tombs, you don't have to visit those he suggests, it's up to your own personal preference.

My out and out favourite is KV34, Tuthmosis the third. After 12 years, I'm still wondering how they found such a place to bury the man, and even more fascinated as to why the Egyptologists decided to look in such an inaccessible place to find it!

It is truly amazing.

Have a great time,

Edward.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which three to visit in VOKs

I can agree with the above recommendation of KV34. However, I must note that getting there involves considerable physical effort, as it is located up a cliff.

Merneptah's tomb is very interesting, but it may still be closed as it is in the area where "KV64 & 65" are being excavated.

Ramses III is another good one.

Of course, I haven't been to all of the tombs...yet!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which three to visit in VOKs

Got to agree regarding KV.34, Thoth-moses III. Spectacular location & distinctive decoration; not what most people expect to see in the Kings' Valley tombs.

As it is the earliest tomb that is open to tourists, it is quite deep, but this is typical of Dynasty XVII. Being located under a natural waterfall is also typical of early tombs of this dynasty, being intended to disguise the entrance with debris. Oh, & Loret found it digging a series of speculative pits, or "sondages", around the Valley perimeter; some of these can still be seen today.

For a very quiet tomb, with the earliest polychrome decoration & two historically very significant grafitti, I always love visiting KV.43 Thoth-mosses IV. This is located in a branch of the Valley, running off to the east from the central area (it actually looks almost directly down on KV.20 Hatpshep-sut) & even more than 10 years after the SCA opened it, most guide books don't actually mention the fact, so it is perfectly possible to have this tomb all to oneself. For this reason it never gets hot inside & can make a very pleasant place to escape the heat.

Bear in mind, though that only the well chamber & one passageway are decorated; but the decorations are extremely beautiful, whilst the restoration grafitti of Maya & Djehuty-messes (year 14, Hor-em-heb) are located in the ante-chamber.

Other than these two, you're really looking at the Dynasty XIX & XX tombs, which are more typical of what most people expect to see; being long, straight & decorated, largely, in polychrome relief.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a favourite amongst these as I prefer the early tombs, but Ra-messes IV, IX & Seti II are amongst those that are usually recommended.

Glen

Summerside, Canada
Level Contributor
438 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which three to visit in VOKs

By physical effort do you mean climbing steps or ladders or uneven terrain?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: which three to visit in VOKs

Hi Oreo,

To access KV34 you first walk thru the Kings Valley to the far end, at foot of the cliffs where it is situated. Then there are about a dozen concrete steps, followed by a metal stairway of about 60 steps, (I counted them in a photograph I have) with a small platform in the middle, much like fire escape steps on the side of a building.

Then round a corner and down a few steps to the entrance of the tomb, then down quite a steep corridor, with wooden slats, to the first chamber.

The other chambers are accessed by equally steep passageways with quite small entrances.

Only recommended for someone who is quite agile with no mobility problems.

Bear in mind also, that once you've climbed the 'cliff' stairway up to the tomb, and then right down into the tomb, you have to do it all again in reverse to get back out again.

On a hot day, this much exertion can be too much for some.

Hope this is helpful. :-)

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which three to visit in VOKs

Hi we went in November a couple of years ago, and even then it was very hot mid-day. Start early, wear a hat, there is no shade. We picked 3 tombs where there were short or little wait so as not to stand in the sun for too long. The quide as pointed us in the right direction. Be aware you can't take camaras into the tombs.

Summerside, Canada
Level Contributor
438 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which three to visit in VOKs

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Hopefully we will be there in the early

morning before it gets to HOT!!!!

Have hat, umbrella, and thinking

about a fan ( as someone on here

suggested) When you get the 3 entrance

pass, do you have to specify which

ones you are going to visit, or can you

just choose any three as you walk around the

sight?

NY
Level Contributor
202 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which three to visit in VOKs

Just got back from Egypt today.

When I was at Valley of the Kings, I was under the impression that only a few tombs were open at once so your choices will be limited anyway.

We were allowed into Ramses IV, Ramses IX, Thutmoses (the one with steep steps, a ladder, narrow ramps downward...) All were great. Especially the two Ramses', because they had lots of color. Pretty incredible that the pigmentation has survived this long.

For an addditional sum, I couldn't resist checking out King Tut's tomb, but honestly, there wasn't much to see. It was the least remarkable. His mummy (body) was mostly covered up. The very best Tut stuff is really at the Egyptian Museum in Cairo (i.e. his chariots, beds, chairs, famous gold death mask, gold coffins, four sarcofaguses -- all of which were excavated from his tomb).

At VAlley of the Kings, you will definitely want to bring a hand fan (great idea!). Note: a visitor's center (with AC) opened very recently at the base, and a small (and free) open-air train ride saves you from walking up a hill to where the tombs are. But still... be ready to sweat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: which three to visit in VOKs

Hi Oreo,

When you get the 3 tomb ticket you do not have to specify which tombs you intend to visit.

When you get to the entrance of a tomb you wish to enter, the tomb guard takes your ticket and tears one of the corners off, then gives it back to you.

When your ticket has had three corners torn off it, it is then 'spent'(can't be used anymore).

Any person can use any ticket with 2 or more corners intact, to visit any KV tomb (that does not require an extra ticket).

As has been said, not all tombs are open for viewing, for varying reasons (refurbishment, excavation, etc.,)

I was puzzled by 'snuffle's' comment that the 'trains' that take you from the visitors centre to the entrance are free, because to my knowledge this has NEVER been the case and in fact the price has recently 'doubled' from 1LE each way, to 2LE each way. This ticket must be purchased at a ticket booth just outside the rear of the visitor centre.

This was still the case 2 weeks ago, when I was last there and I would be very surprised if they had changed it. All I can think of is that 'snuffle' was overlooked, and not asked for a ticket on the train.

Summerside, Canada
Level Contributor
438 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which three to visit in VOKs

Great information guys, thanks so much!!

I will be ready to "pay" for the ride up the hill

if required. Looking forward to Egypt. Thanks again, Sharon