We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

were to buy oils

Level Contributor
103 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
were to buy oils

I once went on king tut 1 to Aswan and they took us to an oil shop.

I would like to visit this shop again

I have rang Orbital travel up and they dont use the shop and dont know which on it was.

Does any one know were I can buy Good quality oils from that are fresh and not been on the shelfs for ages.

Im after Lavender and Rose oil.

Thanks S from Newcastle

Clevedon, United...
Level Contributor
634 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: were to buy oils

there are many shops selling oils so it should,nt be difficult to find what you want,but i did find they were all quite expensive.

Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: were to buy oils

Hi Newcastlemiss -

As Chami says, you will find absolutely LOADS of shops selling oils :-)

My only concern when I'm there is how long the oils have been sat on the shelf (just like you said) and also have they been adulterated with carrier oils to make it look like you're getting a good deal when you're not?

I'm not averse to buying a nice, 'vintage' oil like pachouli, but old flower oils - no thank you!!

So, if anyone does know a reputable oil shop in Luxor - please post :-)

Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: were to buy oils

You could be thinking of a perfume factory called the Sultan Palace which is just on the edge of Aswan town.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: were to buy oils

There sre two perfumeries which I only buy from in Luxor asnd both are on Hilton Street Karnak. Try Al Fayed Perfumery next to Habiba Gallery and further along is Soliman Perfumery. Quality perfumes and oils that haven't been standing on the shelves for years because they have a high turnover.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: were to buy oils

It's not something I buy for myself but I was asked to buy some in the past for a friend and I got it from the Glass Bottle shop on the lower Corniche close to the Metropolitan Cafe as you go towards the ferry. The men there were very helpful and the friend I bought the oils for was very happy too.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: were to buy oils

I was told by a guide one year to watch out when buying oils as a lot of them are now synthetic or are just carrier oils diluted in vegetable oil.

I got some from the Abu Simbel Perfume Palace in Aswan in October, they were quite expensive around £15 for a medium sized bottle.

I use them most days in body lotion, baths, perfume etc, have sensitive skin and have never had any problems using them.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
500 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: were to buy oils

There are many oil and perfume shops, but the quality of the oils is questionable.

I assume you are looking for essential oils only. If so, and if you are wanting to use them for professional purposes, you will struggle to buy the quality you need.

All of the good egyptian oils are exported, in general and Cairo is the only place you could obtain them.

However, there is one shop that I use for pure essential oils in Luxor and he does manage to obtain some great quality oils.

The shop is on Sharia Zenatti, almost directly opposite the Sunset Hotel (behind the Morris Hotel)

There is a website http://www.adel-el-atara.com

I know he would have lavender and rose

Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: were to buy oils

Shareen -

Can you describe how to get to the shop from the Isis (I'm assuming it's not far)? I've tried to search the address with no luck, and I can't for the life of me remember where the Morris is, and I've never heard of the Sunset hotel, so I'm a bit lost :-(

Would love to visit the shop - it looks marvellous. thanks for the post.

9. Re: were to buy oils

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2010, 05:16