We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxor - First trip

iver
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Luxor - First trip

This will be our first trip to Egypt and a long awaited one. Staying at M joilie with hubbie and 2 boys 13 and 14. Need to balance visits markets swim chilling time so need advise on not to be missed temples, trips etc. Got books all sounds so good so dont want to miss best bits. Also interested in going to Aswan - worth staying for a coupleof nights? fly or train? understand boats take too long? Any trips for teenagers well received. All pretty well travelled, happy to be off arranging own trips, drivers etc but dont know anyone whos been here! There fo 2 weeks so we can chill too! Helen

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
merseyside
Level Contributor
7,973 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxor - First trip

Welcome to the forum ;-) You will get lots of good advice on here.

While waiting for more replies read my golist on the following link. It has a few tips about Luxor and the sites. BTW I love the Jolie Ville, sure you will have a great time.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18252-Luxor_is…

Karen

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxor - First trip

Hello there

I am sure you will have a great time in Luxor. I haven’t done tours for a long time so I will leave the advice on all of that to other posters. I haven’t stayed at the JV either so again will leave advice on that to people who have experience of the hotel.

I can point you in the direction of some helpful links though:

Great website for all sorts of information – www.luxortraveltips.com

My own tips - tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19636-My_Top…

A few scams to avoid - tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294205-c108817/Lux…

If you do your research here on TA you can find out information on hotels, restaurants and all the top places to visit. You will likely visit Luxor Temple during the day, but try to visit at night as well as the sun goes down. The museum is also fascinating and nicely air conditioned.

You can find my own reviews etc. on my profile page under contributions.

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Luxor Temple
Luxor Temple
3,379 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxor - First trip

Hi Helen,

Your boys might enjoy quad biking in Luxor. I believe The Sunrise Quad-Bike Safari can be arranged through the travel agencies in Luxor (Karnak, Jolly's, etc.)

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxor - First trip

Hi,

I did Quad Biking with SunRise last Monday - a totally fantastic time. The hotel you have chosen is lovely, we have hired out a bungalow for the day yesterday and it is sooooo relaxing.

For total tranquility it can't be beat.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxor - First trip

Hello Helen,

I’m sure you and your family will love the Jolie Ville, it’s a perfect hotel for families.

I found the Kent Weeks guide book - The Treasures of Luxor and the Valley of the Kings to be one of the best guide books for being off on your own & arranging your own trips.

As for trips, there are LOTS of options that will keep you and your teens happy such as:-

Quad Biking,

Horse / Camel Safari on the West Bank,

Valley of the Kings, Queens and Temple of Hatchepsut,

Artisans Village (see the remains of the houses and tombs of the people who worked on the tombs in Valley of the Kings) and Tombs of the Nobles (more colourful than those in Valley of the Kings,

Luxor and Karnak Temples,

A day trip to the Red Sea to snorkel amongst the coral and fish (I did this 2 years ago, it was a long car journey but excellent day out),

You could combine an overnight visit to Aswan with a flight or a very early morning car journey through the Sahara Desert to see Abu Simbel,

Day trip up to Cairo,

Hot Air Balloon Trip (Hopefully they will be up and running again by the time your holiday comes).

These are just some of the things you can do while staying in Luxor, of course you wont be able to fit everthing into 2 weeks especially if you want to spend a bit of time relaxing by the pool but hopefully you might get a few more ideas.

You are quite lucky staying at the Jolie Ville as they have fixed taxi prices to take you over to the sites on the West Bank or the likes of Karnak Temple, wait for you and bring you back. In May I paid 120LE (about £13.00) for a taxi to take me to some of the West Bank sites from 6am - 12.30pm.

I’ve used Jolleys (near the Old Winter Palace) and Real Life Egypt ( www.reallifeegypt.com ) to organise excursions a bit further afield and would recommend them both.

I’m sure you and your family will have a fantastic holiday.

Suzie.

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Valley of the Kings
Valley of the Kings
4,701 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxor - First trip

You mentioned going to Aswan, I now have been there 3 times first time on a cruise. Second time by plane and on the last occasion, train. You can get flights pretty cheap, book early if you intend to do this, but cost can add up especially adding the taxi to and from both airports. We got a flight around 8.00pm and it worked out really well. Going down by train was a nightmare waiting on Luxor train station from 9.00am train was supposed to turn up at 9.30am, we got on a train at 12.00 but ours still hadn't turned up. wife not impressed. The return journey was great, train was empty just us and two Americans in the whole 1st class carriage and would always leave on time as it starts in Aswan. Cost 41LE PP for a single, you can't buy a return. We were made to buy a ticket on board on the return and you are charged more, think it was around 46LE

www.egyptrail.gov.eg/docs/online/online.html…

We have booked to go to the Pyramisa Isis Island for 3 nights B&B in December, cost £85, stay there on the last two trips, and have booked a car, return. We have seen the sites on the way down while on the boat, but you can stop off at Edfu and Kom Ombo while travelling down in a car/mini bus.

Phil

Mentioned in this post
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Pyramisa Isis Hotel & Suites Luxor
Pyramisa Isis Hotel...
717 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Toronto
Level Contributor
690 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luxor - First trip

Hi Helen

We visited Egypt last December with 2 teens and they had a fabulous time. This was the most memorable trip for us so far.

They loved the trip to Abu Simbel and the highlight was certainly their time snorkelling in Sharm. With 2 weeks, I think you can fit that in.

If you check my contributions (around Jan 09) there are trip reports that my son put together with his impressions of Egypt.

Have an amazing trip in Egypt.

regards

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luxor - First trip

3 weeks may seem a long time, but there are so many possibilities you need to do your research before you arrive and surgically reduce the list down to about 10% of the possibilities!

Aim to visit the sites in/around Luxor in the (very) early morning and get back to the pool by noon, to avoid the worst of the heat. Sights like the Valley of the Kings, open around 06:00-06:30, but check.

Suzie mentioned the Kent Weeks book - very good for details about the sights, but, in my opinion, needs to be combined with a Lonely Planet/Blue/Rough Guide book to give you 'the getting around' and 'where things are' sort of information.

Consider some of the lesser visited sites like The Ramasseum or the Temple of Seti I. If you have gone early, you may have the place to yourselves.

Like others here, I keep my various photos on Webshots at http://community.webshots.com/user/elaref they will give a good idea of what you can see.

Read the FAQ's at the beginning of this forum

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294205-i9426-Luxo…

Susie also mentioned Jollies for trips, but there are several based in the front of the Winter Palace (Karnak Travel is next door to Jollies) All have a list of 'standard tours' that you will be handed as you pass the door and all, as far as I know, will make up a trip to your requirements. (Karnak, who we use normally, certainly do)

And be careful you don't catch the Luxoritis bug, or you may find yourself returning year after year to fill in the gaps of things you haven't done yet.

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Valley of the Kings
Valley of the Kings
4,701 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luxor - First trip

Aaaggh!

Finger trouble again!!

Last message should have started '2 weeks'

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luxor - First trip

Hello again

eLaReF's post reminded me that I have photos on Webshots as well that you can have a look at, most of which were taken this year in May. Just click on this link http://community.webshots.com/user/marlscat