We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nubian village and kitchner island

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
297 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
nubian village and kitchner island

This is an optional tour on our criuse, is it worth doing?

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nubian village and kitchner island

My wife and I have enjoyed our time spent on the Island and also in the Nubian Village. But that is not to imagine that everyone will!

My best advice would be to get hold of a "Rough Guide to Egypt", look up the sections on Kitchener's Island, and the Nubians and then you can make an informed decision. After reading a little bit about both you might be more than eager to go.

A cruise is a great way to see Egypt's marvels for the first time, they have whetted many an appetite to see more and more!

Best wishes,

Edward.

Turenki, Finland
Level Contributor
268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nubian village and kitchner island

You are probably in the wrong forum for this question.

Kitchener Island is worth doing, you can hire a motor boat to take you across for about 10/20le, if you like all sorts of exotic trees and vegetation, then yes it is worth doing, if you want a place away from the hassle, then yes its worth doing. Instead of the Nubian village, I would suggest the nubian museum on Elphantine island, you can combine the two visits with the same boatman, Nubian village, IMHO not worth the effort, designed purely to get money out of you, there are literally 10s of Nubian villages dotted around Aswan, Henna tatoos and a cup of something to drink, not worth bothering with.

I stand by to be corrected though.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nubian village and kitchner island

Hi,

I did this trip for the first time in May, I quite enjoyed apart from the constant demands for tips (but I should be used to that by now)

We were collected at around 8.15 by our Nubian Guide, Ibrahim. We were then taken by motorboat to Kitchener's Island, given some time to look round and then it was back on the motorboat through all the little islands where Ibrahim pointed out plants and wildlife to us.

On arrival at the Nubian Village he gave people the option of riding a camel later on - the price was 50LE about 5 people signed up for the camels.

We were then guided into a Nubian House, introduced to the family and given a chance to look round, for a small tip you can hold a baby crocodile - dont worry it's mouth is tied up by a hair scrunchie (If you click on my TA profile I have a photo of me & the croc).

Ibrahim then gave us a talk about Nubian Life and we were served some mint tea, we were also given the opportunity to get a henna tattoo done, I got both hands henna'd @ 30LE per hand, I have sensitive skin and had no problems with the henna irritating it, the tattoo lasted around two weeks. While I was getting my henna done the women of the house sung us some traditional songs & they got everyone up to dance.

We then exited the house via a shopping bazzar (surprise surprise)some of the stuff was really nice and well worth a look but be prepared to barter!!!!

Now for the camel rides - I would avoid it, I thought for 50LE you would get around 30 minutes, it was 5 minutes max and my mother was told her tip was no good.

Would I do it again, probably not, I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it but there are other things in Aswan I would rather see.

Also if you do the excursion to the Nubian Village you miss out on Abu Simbel.

Suzie.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nubian village and kitchner island

Hi tillykate,

While you are docked in Aswan you could use the free time to hire a felucca or a motorboat to go over to Kitchener (also known as the Botanic Island) by yourselves. The price should include about an hour on the island, which is beautiful very cool and has an expensive cafe (and rather smelly toilets!)

As has been suggested you could visit the museum, well, actually there are 2:

- The old Aswan museum in a victorian villa on Elephantine. Entry also gives you access to the extensive ruins at the foot of the island. The ferry runs from the end of Corniche near the Ferial Gardens, but you may well be offered a motorboat.

OR

- The big, newer Nubia museum up the hill near the Old Cataract Hotel. Air-conditioned, well planned and very interesting. It also has a lovely garden and a cafe.

Depending where you are docked you will need a taxi (about LE40 is generous & includes waiting time)

Hope this helps

cumbria
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: nubian village and kitchner island

all i'm going to say is YES do it... and Ibrahim is top notch....

cumbria
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: nubian village and kitchner island

forgot to ask which boat will you be going on?

England
Level Contributor
297 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nubian village and kitchner island

Oops I forgot I have moved along the nile from Luxor, with this question!

Thanks for your replies, they are most helpfull. I think we will do kitchner island and the Nubian museum.

Turenki, Finland
Level Contributor
268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nubian village and kitchner island

Sorry I should reiterate, athe Aswan museum is on Elphantine Island, quite small some very interesting atrefacts, also at the same venue is the temple of Khnum, worth a visit too, some grreat views of the Nile and Aswan.

The Nubian museum is in Aswan itself, about 400m from the end of the corniche, just past the Cataract Hotel. You can take cameras into both museums, there use is not restricted.

Jim

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,011 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nubian village and kitchner island

I agree with the others. The Nubian village is not worth it. The gardens are pleasant enough, though hardly exciting. You can easily do them yourself and save money.

The two museums and the excavations are worthwhile. Another nice thing to do is a boat trip, just agree a price and potter about the islands up towards the dam. A motorboat is actually better than a felucca as there is often no wind.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nubian village and kitchner island

Divadarling is right. There is a small Aswan Museum on Elephant Island

We crossed to Elephant Island using the local ferry near the Ferial gardens for about £2LE return in 2007. On the other side walk up the road a short distance, to where you see a turning to the left. (There was a corner shop there with a coca-cola cabinet). Turn left there & walk through what looks like someone’s back garden, and you will come to an entrance. It is a large area with the Ruins of Abu/Yebu, the Temple of Khaum/Khnum and many other ruined temples, but they have not been fully rebuilt (Yet?). There is a theory held by some that the Ark of the Covenant was on this island and was then taken to Axum in Ethiopia.

The museum is quite small, full mostly of fairly small artefacts on shelves (from memory).

I have dug through my various folders and found the photos I took around the ruins, so have posted them at the usual place http://community.webshots.com/user/elaref - Egypt 07 - Elephant Island

We didn’t do the Nubian Village

If anyone goes to Aswan can they please let me know the following - Has the New Cataract Hotel been knocked down totally, or re-built and is there any information as to when the Old Cataract will open?

(Yes - I KNOW this is the Luxor Forum!!!)