We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best tours to do in a week and to book with who

Leek, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
best tours to do in a week and to book with who

Hi

I'm sure lots of people have asked this but i'll ask again. Myself, friend and my daughter age 3 are arriving in luxor for a week starting from 27th july. We have promised daughter that she will see pymamids etc but we are on budget, however doing it our selves is giving me a headache already so best to stick to organised tours. Obviously want to do as many attractions in and around luxor but i personally would love to see the Pyramids of Egypt and Sphinx. So can any one give me ideas to do all this. Would it be better to do a full nile cruise or will that be too expensive

thanks

Tracey

Emo Tours Egypt - Day Tours
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Aladin Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Luxor and Aswan Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Kingfisher Tours Egypt
Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best tours to do in a week and to book with who

A full Nile cruise will take 5 or 6 days and The pyramids are in Cairo about 450kms away from Luxor. You can do the Caro trip, either as a very long day or overnight. someone will be able to say how much the cost is.

Please also be aware the heat is very bad at this time of year, so do your trips early in the morning and cover up especially with a 3 year old.

2. Re: best tours to do in a week and to book with who

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 April 2010, 18:05
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best tours to do in a week and to book with who

Hi Tracey, gosh you've set yourself a hard going holdiay task. One week in the height of summer, with a three year old, wishing to cover so much is going to be very difficult.

Luxor is a long way from Cairo, although it is possible to do it for a day, however this will involve an hours flight from Luxor. You can either book this independently (try EgypAir website and put in Egypt as your home country - you get the best prices this way), alternatively you could book it with an agent before you go, either online or through an agent once you get to Luxor. The alternative to flying to/from Cairo is take the train but this is a 10+ hr journey and there have been mixed reviews about this journey.

If you choose to do a Nile Cruise from Luxor these are usually for 7 days although there are also some 3/4 day ones. I think you can also go on a day cruise to Denderrah (but I don't know how suitable this would be for a 3 yr old). Please note that most of the cruises have age limits on child passengers. Certainly you will not see the Pyramids or Sphinx from a Nile Cruise from Luxor.

You don't say if you have booked your flights and accommodation yet, but I'm assuming you have, and that you flying direct to Luxor. If you had booked via Cairo, it may be possible to consider a stop over in Cairo before going to Luxor and that way you could do the Pyramids etc and then go down to Luxor.

What ever you choose to do, you can book through agents in Luxor, the most commonly used ones are Jollies and Karnak Travel (I'm sure there are others but I can't think of their name offhand) and they are situated on The Cornishe, near to the Winter Palace Hotel. Whatever prices quoted, even in the travel agents, are negotiable and almost certainly going to be cheaper than booking through a Tour Rep such as Thompsons etc.

Please, please be aware of the temperature at the moment, and it's getting hotter! You, and especially your 3yr old, will have to make sure you drink lots of water - little and often is best. Don't rely just on suncreams but make sure you daughter is well covered up, especially on her shoulders and neck, and a hat would be recommended. The sun is reflected very strong from all the stone and sand at the tombs and temples. Pace yourselves with early starts, and then back to the hotel for a swim and siesta and then go out again in the evening when it's getting a bit cooler, although it will still be much hotter than a UK summers day. (Its 10-30 pm in the UK as I write - 00-30am in Luxor and the temperature there is 90degF/32degC ).

However you plan your trip I wish you all a great time. It would be really great if you could post about how you got on as we rarely hear of the experiences of those travelling with young children.

Leek, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best tours to do in a week and to book with who

thank you for the advise.

Leek, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best tours to do in a week and to book with who

i'm fully equip with everything concerning my 3 yr old pram uva/uvb cover, cover up clothes head scarves, hats, sun cream, wipes, anti bacteria spray its not her first trip abroad and we always go at this time as my friend has to have this week off cause its factory shut down, so where ever we have been its really hot but i am prepared for it to be extremely hot, that why i thought i'd plan everything before we went but saying that only booked it on wednesday and going on week on monday not left a lot of time. I've been used to travelling on my own for 20 yrs but with having little one it takes longer planning, its worth it though, just hope when she's older she'll have the travel bug too. I will let you all know how i got on.

Just one more thing if you were me would you not bother with the cairo trip.

thanks again

Tracey

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best tours to do in a week and to book with who

Hi again Tracey,

I hope when I made all the comments about your child you didn't think I was trying to teach you parenting skills. It certainly seems as though you have your bases covered there. It's just that many people are not prepared for Luxor and in particular when it comes to taking young children. The Egyptians love children but Luxor cannot be described as 'Child Friendly, and many of the hotels, even if they have pool areas are not equiped for children. I note you say you have a pram for your daughter, I assume by that you mean some sort of push chair which I am sure you will find a great help, just be aware that the pavements, such as they are, can be very uneven and the kerbs very high in places. Ramps are almost non existant! There are a couple of Play Parks (though no where near the health and safety standards that we expect in the UK) that Egyptians tend to take their children to, mainly in the evening. One is at the far end of Television Street, beyond the hospital and on the left. The other is in the Suzanne Mubarak Gardens which is in the Karnak area. I've not been to either so can't give specific details, but I believe at the SM Grds one you can also buy snacks/drinks but you are not allowed to take food and drinks in.

Only you will know whether the time and expense of going to Cairo will be worth it, but if I was you I'd be tempted to leave booking anything until I got to Luxor and 'saw the lie of the land' and had assesed all the other options.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best tours to do in a week and to book with who

mollee-anna The Cairo trip is really your choice, it may be a little bit of hassle with a toddler in tow, if you haven't already booked it.

As for the heat, you may have gone abroad at this time of year, but Luxor a this time of year can get to 50 to 55c or put it another way 120f+, so please don't underestimate it. You are doing the right things though, with what you said in your previous post. I will be interested in your report when you come back. I hope (no I expect) you will have a great time, enjoy your hols, I go again in 14 weeks time 92 sleeps.

Regards Bob

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,959 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best tours to do in a week and to book with who

I don't really think anyone on here can say miss it out or not.

I will agree that it really is a long day but I have seen plenty of people take young children on this trip. I think the only way to make it work(if you think you can manage) is if you have a private guide who will go at your pace and maybe limit yourself to a few sights rather than cram lots in like normally happens. Obviously you want to see the Pyramids and Sphinx which are in the same area anyhow. So you could go there then go for a rest at a cafe then maybe pick another sight to see in the afternoon then catch a late afternoon flight back???

Just something else for you to mull over!!

Of course Luxor has so many sights to see that you might leave Cairo for another time?

My son first went to Cairo when he was 6 in 2005. In all honesty he coped better than me...lol ;-0 We were on a 'tour group' package and I found it very busy and hard to keep up with the others. My poor lads feet were walked off him but I was wasted!!!

He went again in 2007 but this time with a private guide which worked out so much better. I kept him in cool clothes, good suncream on , hat, plenty of drinks and didn't rush around like a maniac.

I am not saying this to make you think that you will be ok just letting you know my experience.

Whatever you choose have a great time.

Karen

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best tours to do in a week and to book with who

If you would like to try a Nile Cruise, you can book a two nighter with one of the many travel agents in Luxor. (I think that the "no children" thing is more to do with British travel agents than anything else, I've seen lots of young children on many cruises.) They are good value, full board and you can book the excursions or not as the fancy takes you.

Although the temperatures will be very high, you just need to use your common sense. I'm sure you and the baby will be fine.

As for doing the day trip to Cairo, as well as being a long day it's also very trashing. The uneven surfaces around the pyramids will be very awkward and difficult with a pram, even one of the "off-road" three wheeler things!

While the pyramids are really a "must see", I couldn't recommend the trip during this extremely hot time with a baby and pram, I don't think you would feel that you had had very good value for your money. Sorry!

There is plenty to occupy your time during your week.

Have a great time.

Edward.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best tours to do in a week and to book with who

My wife uses a wheel chair and we have to stay on the road which is not all that bad as the majority of the locals walk on the road as the kerbs are so high. But the sites, I cant think of one that you could use a push chair at, only the Museum at Luxor. At least if you went to Cairo the majority of your visit will be in an air con mini bus as the traffic is so bad. I did very little walking, only walking around Cairo museum.

Phil