We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slip, Slap, Slop

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Slip, Slap, Slop

Now that the topic has got your attention, this is a post about suncare!

I have just seen this article in a magazine that I am reading and, although it’s advice from Australia, I think it’s relevant to Egypt/Luxor especially now that the temperatures are rising during the summer months.

This is what is says: “The Australians lead the way in skin cancer prevention advice, so this summer take a leaf out of their book and: Slip, Slap, Slop!!”

1. SLIP on a T-shirt.

2. SLAP on a hat.

3. SLOP on broad-spectrum, water resistant SPF30+ sunscreen. Put it on 20 minutes before going outdoors and every 2 hours afterwards.

Happy and safe holidays to all!!

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slip, Slap, Slop

Great advice Marlscat. Cos of the climate here in the UK/Europe, people can sometimes be careless in the sun.

In the intense sunshine of Upper Egypt, unprotected skin WILL suffer damage. This message cannot be stressed strongly enough. Good hydration will also help to some degree.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slip, Slap, Slop

Great post - and a good reminder to all that even while out doing on tours you have to keep re-applying suntan lotion.

That's why I like Soltan Kids "Once" in a factor 30 and above, my skin is bordering on white and I have never had one bit of sunburn while using it.

My trick to getting a good tan while away and staying safe in the sun - slip, slap then slop the factor 30 and above on & then sneakily apply some fake tan to your aftersun lotion.

Suzie.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
652 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slip, Slap, Slop

Another tip and a bit graphic I am afraid. If your pee is yellow you are not drinking enough, it should be a very light straw colour.

Kids often don't like plain water so bring some of those sachets of flavour from home and slip it into a bottle of mineral water

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slip, Slap, Slop

Hello FlatsinLuxor

That reminds me - I don't like plain water either, and this year I discovered the sachets of Tang and Savory (orange, pineapple, mango etc.) that you can buy in the supermarkets in Luxor, that I dissolved in the mineral water, which was great. It meant I drank more water than I normally do and, even when warm if out on a trip, it was still palatable (because warm mineral water is just awful!)

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slip, Slap, Slop

FlatsinLuxor is absolutely right about the colour of urine, pale straw is best.

Wearing a long sleeved cotton top will actually help keep you cooler and reduce the rate you dehydrate, than a shortsleeved or sleeveless one will. It slows down the natural evaporation process.

A tip for keeping your bottled water cool - I always carry a 'bottle carrier' with me. It's made like the cool bags and has a shoulder strap for easy carrying. It will take up to a 2L bottle. Usually available in camping type shops or where picnic type things are sold. It may not always keep the water icy cold but it certainly keeps it cool and stops it gettting warm. You can get a version in Luxor, although a bit smaller (it will take a 1.5L bottle), and not quite so well insulated but it still does the job fairly well.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slip, Slap, Slop

Tesco sell the same bottles they are usually where the bbq stuff is. I have two of them. Used them lots of times while out on trips. Only cost a few pounds each.

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Slip, Slap, Slop

Pale straw is a good urine colour but you may well notice, if you drink a lot of water, that your urine is actually just clear. Don't worry about that as its just the water passing through your system.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,020 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slip, Slap, Slop

I think with small children you should actually go further than this and keep them out of the sun entirely. I don't think English people always realise how damaging the sun can be.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Slip, Slap, Slop

obeliskstou2 - you are right. That should really of read 'urine should not be darker than pale straw colour'. If you do notice it getting darker then you should make sure you drink some water.

Another tip is to try to avoid fizzy drinks. The odd can/bottle of cola etc can be quite refreshing, but in hot climates it really should be 'the odd can' as it can have a dehydrating effect rather than hydrating.

derbyshire
Level Contributor
149 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Slip, Slap, Slop

This is great advice people don,t realise how hot it gets in june , july and august months ,

last year my son who 16 keep putting30 factor sun lotion on and in the pool, it was the day before we was set to come home , My sons back was burn,t really bad, it was red and blisted up and his t shirt stuck to him , thank,s to a lovely english lady who came to my son and help us, i never took any first aid kit with me , but this lady had some jelonet what are brill, she put these on his back and banged his back up so my son could sit back in his chair on the flight home, and i could not thank maggie , we have keep in touch and i have learn,t a lesson too, by taking some sort of first aid kit with us and get this jelonet,

and to make sure in the midday sun my children put a t shirt on , as my son had really bad burns .

So please keep a t shirt on a hat on and loads of sun lotion on .