We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Boats and Umm-El-Qaab at Abydos

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Boats and Umm-El-Qaab at Abydos

Hello.

I’m wondering if anyone can advise me on how easy it is to see the fleet of Royal Boats and Umm-El-Qaab at Abydos.

Would it require special permission from the SCA, if so how easy is this to do and does it cost a small fortune?

I visited Abydos in May and would love to go back next year but also see the other sites in the vicinity listed above as I know there is more to the area than just the Seti Temple.

Would it be better to try and arrange it all through a guided tour or attempt it on my own?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me,

Suzie

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Boats and Umm-El-Qaab at Abydos

Hiya,

I believe you need permission.

Flatsinluxor may be able to help as, unless I am mistaken, she has been there.

Try and pm here and see what she says ?

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Boats and Umm-El-Qaab at Abydos

Thanks Obelisk :-)

I just wasn't sure as I know the convoy only used to stop at the temple for around an hour or so before moving on - hardly giving anyone time to enjoy the temple & get a proper look round never mind visiting any of the other sites in the area.

I went in May but never asked when booking the tour about the possibility to visit the Royal Boats or Umm-El-Qaab.

Thanks again,

Suzie.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,909 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Boats and Umm-El-Qaab at Abydos

Hi Suzie, Jane wrote a blog about her trip there, might be worth contacting her as obelisk says.

Here is the link..

…blogspot.com/2008/12/abydos-outside-seti-i-…

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Boats and Umm-El-Qaab at Abydos

WOW!!!!

Now if Jane had problems with her visit I dont hold out very much hope at all, however i'll take both your advice and contact her just incase.

Thanks again :-)

Suzie.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
656 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Boats and Umm-El-Qaab at Abydos

Try asking the SCA, I have heard of people writing to Dr Zahi Hawass and getting permission to visit the most amazing places. AND NOT PAYING apart from the inconvenience of going down to Cairo to get that precious piece of paper.

You need to have a good reason, attending a recognised course, member of a recognised society that sort of thing.

I have to tell my visit down there was totally magical and well worth the tremendous effort. You have no idea just how big the tombs are and to think they are 1st 2nd dynasty wow

Good luck

Jane

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Boats and Umm-El-Qaab at Abydos

Thanks

Unfortunately I am not a member of a recognised society or attending a recognised course I just find myself utterly fascinated by Abydos and what the site meant to the ancient Egyptians and I don't think they would take that as being a good reason somehow.

Thanks again,

Suzie.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
656 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Boats and Umm-El-Qaab at Abydos

Why not join one, I am sure there is an Egyptology Society near you. But I would still try anyway you never know you might catch him on a good day. He can only say no and you havent lost anything.

When I went I had another member of my Egyptology course, an ARCE student, an ex Chairman of Wirral Egyptology Society and a complete and utter tourist (cousin of one of the former) who frankly got quite bored after a while. So it can happen

8. Re: Royal Boats and Umm-El-Qaab at Abydos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2010, 07:17