We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
first timer

going on a nile cruise on board ms regency on september 2nd,booked with thomson.Silly question but do i need to take towels.Any information you could give me would help

Realey excited now not long to go

Level Contributor
7,962 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timer

Towels will be provided onboard;-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timer

Hello and welcome to the Luxor forum

I have done a couple of 'go lists' on dress codes and my own tips, especially for first time travellers to Luxor, which might help you along a bit. Here are the links to click on:

I'm sure you will have a fantastic time.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timer

You get towels in the cabin of course but on the sun deck there is a large wooden bin with beach towels in and you just help yourself to one for the sun beds.

Keep the luggage light as they can be pretty strict on weight at Luxor and dont forget binoculars!

4. Re: first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 August 2009, 14:05
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timer

You should not need to bring towels with you however you might like to take your own for the sun chairs on the sun deck.

I did the Nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan and really enjoyed it.

Before going I was informed that they have Egyptian night on board and you will be dressed up in trational costume.....however when it came to the said night we were all informed that we had to buy the costumes and if we were not wearing costume we would not get dinner that night.

I found this to be intimidation and refused to buy what we were informed would be supplied.

We got our dinner that night.

Another little thing to watch out for is the courier telling every passenger what tip was required from each cabin and they would supply envelopes with cabin numbers on.

Again I found this insulting and informed the courier as did most other passengers that we would decide what tips to give staff and would not take any envelope from any member of staff.

In the end we tipped the staff who we felt were deserving ie the cabin cleaners who were wonderful.

I hope I am not putting you off but i think that when they have you on board they have a captive audience.

Go and enjoy Egypt is wonderful.

It will still be very hot in September.

Sean Lynam.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first timer

What a dreadful story poor Sean had to tell!

Nevertheless, you do not need to take your own towels on a Nile cruise. I've lost count of the number of Nile cruisers I have been on, but I have never come across the unpleasantness that Sean did regarding the Galabaya Party. I find his experience shocking! Obviously, the organisers want as many as possible to join in and dress up, it all adds to the party atmosphere. On most of the trips I've done, the galabayas were very cheap to buy on the boat, some even hired them for a very small sum.

As for the tipping, we have placed our tip in an unmarked envelope and handed it in at reception when disembarking. If you only tip the staff you see, I think it's a bit unfair on the rest who toil away unseen, but who are still responsible for making your holiday a good one.

I absolutely love cruising the Nile, and am determined that one day we will do it on the Sudan, the beautiful old steamer which can be seen moored a few hundred yards south of the Mercure Hotel on Mondays and Tuesdays. (I only hope that there will be no murders for that Belgian bloke to solve while I am onboard!)

Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first timer

Sean, that is truly shocking! What boat was this on? Was the pressure from the boat crew or the rep,I hope you reported them!

I really enjoyed my cruise and the "dress up" night was really informal, most passengers just improvised with their own clothes or towels (worn as a headress like a sheikh or like a toga) a few ladies wore cheap belly dance costumes, galabeyas or pashminas bought at the souk or on board. I was dreading it as I only wore an egyptian scarf over my long skirt and did my makeup like Cleopatra but it was a lot of fun and the photos are hilarious.

I have heard that before about the tip envelopes, someone on here said their envelopes were marked with the cabin numbers (in arabic, very small in the corner) ours was just a plain envelope and I left a lot less than the "recommended" tip amount and had no problems.

Im sure you will enjoy your cruise, for me it was a highlight of the trip.

Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first timer

I only experienced friendly helpful staff on the Regency, its a great boat.

We were encouraged to dress up for the Galabaya Party but some guests who didnt bother still got fed! My husband who hates that sort of thing even enjoyed himself. I bought a galabaya off the boat for £10, high quality cotton, I wear it about our home alot and intend to buy a couple more this time.

Tipping, its a good idea to put money in an envelope so all the staff on board get tips. We did this and also gave extra tips to staff we were personaly involved with.

Do you need to take towels on the regency, No, there are plenty in your room and on the sun deck, also a great suprise will be the towels on your bed!

9. Re: first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2010, 05:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now