We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taking food in to luxor from england

essex
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
taking food in to luxor from england

can anybody tell me if its ok to take food in to egypt as i was thinking of taking things like pot noodles and cup a soup and a few bags a crisps as im a fussy eater, lol . we hsve booked bed andbreakfast at the jolie villa,s and are a bit worried about eating out, we are first timers to egypt.as we have two weeks to spend in egypt has any body got any ideas on where we should visit first places to go , we are travelling as two women , no men hows the problems with this. it seems daunting and we do not know where to visit, other than pyramids , so please all you worldy wise traveller help us on our first expedition to egypt. thanks alot

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: taking food in to luxor from england

Don't worry, Luxor is very safe for lone females. The worst you will have to worry about is the possibility of the 'unwelcome' (?) attentions of some Egyptian menfolk.

On the food thing, again I think you are worrying too much. The JV will have a wide selection of mostly 'western' food.

And although there is no problem bringing in the items you mention, there are plenty of food shops in Luxor which sell all kinds of that type of snacks.

If you type 'Arkwrights' into the search box, you should see plenty of posts about this little shop in Luxor, which is run by an english lady.

As for what to see, well there is plenty that can be easily seen in Luxor, which is just as well, because you will be a few hundred miles away from the nearest pyramid, LoL.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taking food in to luxor from england

Hi there and welcome to the Luxor forum

I would think you can take those sorts of things into Luxor - I did hear of some people that were bringing packs of bacon over to Luxor for the restaurants were having these confiscated, but that could be pure rumour - rumours abound in Luxor!

KV mentions Arkwrights Supermarket, which is in Luxor near to the cluster of Hotels at the Nile Palace, Sonesta, St. Joseph etc. I done a review on this supermarket which you can view here tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294205-i9426-k2…

You could check out www.luxortraveltips.com for loads of advice and information, including maps etc. which may help.

I have compiled a list of things to do with dress codes and some of my own tips which you can view here

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i20276-Dress_…

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19636-My_Top…

There are loads of places to eat in Luxor - both westernised and local, so I am sure you will find something to your taste, so I wouldn't worry on that score.

The Pyramids are in Cairo, and you can do a trip to them from Luxor, but there are also many places to visit in and around Luxor such as the Valley of the Kings and Queens, Luxor Temple, Karnak Temple and Luxor Museum, just to name a few.

I have some recent (and some older) photos of Luxor that you can view here http://community.webshots.com/user/marlscat

Hope that helps a little - I am sure other members will come along soon with loads more advice.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taking food in to luxor from england

First things to pack

- A large bag of salt- not for eating but because you'll need to keep taking big pinches of it when being approached by the local men. lol

- Your sense of humour because you'll need it when trying to walk away from all the gigalos, calesh drivers etc spinny you cheesy lines

Seriously, you will be fine. Most women who visit say they feel safer there then they do in their home towns. It is advisable to dress in a modest manner but that doesn't mean veiling yourself from head to toe. Swimwear is fine by the pool but not advisable anywhere else!

Back to the food question....

You should be fine taking those things into Egypt with you but you can also buy snacky foods quite easily there.

As for eating out there are many restaurants serving 'English' food, although you'll find that in many of the Egyptian restaurants you will be able to get things like grilled chicken and other simple foods. There is also an abundance of Pizza places and typical 'chain' taka aways.

If you haven't already done it the best thing to do is to have a good read of some of threads here about where to go and what to do, and then come back with any specific questions you may have.

Enjoy your first visit to Egypt - but be warned - it may not be your last and it attacks of Luxoritis post holiday are common.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,935 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taking food in to luxor from england

I always take my Walkers crisps...love them!

I stay at the Jolie ville too , the breakfasts are great and are available until 1030am. There is a shop at the hotel that sells chocolate, crisps and a few other snacks but they will be dearer than in the main town.

Tripwise Luxor is split into two parts.

East Bank - Luxor Temple, Karnak Temple, the Souk, Luxor museum, Mummification museum and where your hotel and the main town are.(btw McDonalds is right next to Luxor temple if you are into it!)

West Bank - Valley of the Kings, Queens, Workers,Queen Hatshepsut's temple, Medinat Habu and the Ramesseum.

You can either book a guide to take you to these places (plenty of travel agents to do this when you get there or you can prebook online), book with your rep or get a taxi list from reception and preread a good guide book.

As for you being two women, expect to be looked at a bit! Dress sensibly and you might find it less of a problem. I go alone with my young son and have never been treated in a disrespectful way.

My golist might give you more information on what to expect.

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i18252-Luxor_…

Regards

Karen

5. Re: taking food in to luxor from england

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2010, 07:27
Get answers to your questions about Luxor