We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sight Info

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Topic
Sight Info

As some of you are aware I am going back to Luxor again in Oct, and want to see a few things I have not seen before. Can anyone give me some info on the following:

Temple of Seti 1 (is it open to the public, as I have heard there are renovations going on or is it closed?).

I have been to Temple of Karnak a few times, but never ventured beyond the sacred lake. I wouldn't mind seeing the temple of Mut (is there an addition charge to see this, can I get to it from the main Karnak temple complex?).

Temple of Anun & Palace of Amtenhotep 3rd (is it any good and can I visit it, if so any idea on price, please?).

Tombs of the nobles (any good, I know they are smaller than kings/queens, but are they colourful etc?).

Temple of Merenptah (again any good?).

I was thinking of going over to the west bank and doing:

Seti 1, Medinet Habu (again), Temple of Anun, Tombs of the Nobles and Merenptah. How long should I allow for this? about 5 hours or so?

East Bank:

Done the usual things like Karnak, Luxor Temples, Luxor Museum, Mummy Museum. I would like to go back to Karnak Temple (I love it), if only to see Mut Temple and things on the edge that I may not have seen before, any ideas?

I need some inspiration here guys. I don't want to go to Cairo or Aswan or Denderah or Abydos, as I want to come back latter part of next year for 3 weeks and do the longer trips then.

I await your inspirational ideas.

Bob

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,111 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sight Info

Hi,

I was on a 2 week organised tour of Egypt in Jan / Feb '09. We spent a few days in the Luxor / Karnak area & our guide tipped the Karnak archaeologist (in charge of the new Roman excavavtions) to allow us into the Temple of Sekhmet, which is on the Karnak complex, just off to to the left when you're in the main part:

…photobucket.com/albums/…

It's only small, like the little Seti shrine as you enter, & has 3 chambers. The far left would have had a statue of Nefertum, the blue lotus god, the middle one has a broken statue of Ptah, the Creator God (hubby of Sekhmet & dad of Nefertum) & the far right has a wonderful statue of Sekhmet still in place. It's said that her eyes scan you as you enter the chamber & I know what they mean when they say that! She really does seem to stare & her eyes follow you round the room. We had about 45 mins in there.

We also paid a bit extra (about £20) to go to the Temple of Mut. We did go in our coach but I've looked at plans since & it doesn't look that far from Karnak temple, but that's probably "as the crow flies". It was enjoyable...I love the Goddess Sekhmet & all that she stands for, so seeing statues (many broken) of her all around was interesting & the same archeologist took us round the site. THere were some wonderful green birds that followed us round, only little. I learned since that they are green bee-eaters. There were 4 temple pups too, watched over by mum; not in bad condition in comaprison to some.

Haven't uploaded my pics of that part of the trip yet but will do so soon.

Have also got some Medinet Habu ones to upload; loved that place as weel; it was my 1st trip there. Must get round to uploading all the Karnak & Luxor ones too. It's all right taking 600+ pics but the uploading is laborious!

Regards

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sight Info

Temple of Seti I is open to the public; I believe eLaRef has posted some photos, as the restorations/repairs (following flood damage) have been completed.

The Mut Temple, Asru, is not officially open to the public, as it is still being excavated, though it might be possible to do a sneaky-beaky visit.

If you haven't visited the Khonsu Temple, actualy within the Precint of Amun, at Karnak, this is quite an interesting combination of, very, late New Kingdom & Ptolomaic decorations & does preserve quite a bit of colour, in places.

The big problem with Karnak is that, there's always so much work going on that the areas which are accessible seem to change all the time, so it's very much a case of wandering around, heading for something you want to see, & hoping nobody tells you it's off limits (they'd roped off the entrance to the Cachette Court, from the Sacred Lake, last month, for instance).

The Malqata Palace of Amun-hetep III doesn't really have much to see, as most of it was reburied, after excavation, in order to preserve the remains. You can actually get an idea of what may be visible from Google Earth (traces of walls & a series of squarish mounds just to the south of Medinet Habu), which may help you decide if it's worthwhile making the detour.

The "Nobles' Tombs"; actually high officials, are well worth a visit as they feature the "daily life" scenes that everyone sees in books. Most feature at least some painted decoration & a small number have some of the finest New Kingdom relief work to be found in Egypt. Just make sure you get enough tickets to cover all the tombs you want to visit (when visiting them last month, I was informed that tickets are now sold for pairs of tombs, rather than the old system of any 3 tombs from a group).

Mer-en-Ptah's temple is open & has been well restored; in such a way as to show that most of it was built with blocks that were recycled from Amun-hetep III's temple. There is also a statue Museum on site, that I believe you pass through before entering the temple proper. I've never visited this site, so I can't give a description os what you'd actually see, but I'm sure someone will be able to provide some more information.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sight Info

As GParry says - we were there in May and our review is at tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g294205-…

Pictures at the usual place http://community.webshots.com/user/elaref

Temple of Mut - We have pics of the Avenue of Spynx leading to it from Karnak, taken thro' the gate in the 10th Pylon. Look in the Egypt09 Karnak Temple folders. But we haven't managed to get here ourselves yet - maybe in 4 weeks time - watch this space.

It would be easier to get to it from outside I think. Do you have Google earth? It is beside the U-shaped lake to the South of Karnak Temple. Start from near where you see the avenue on your way in from the airport. You could also see the magnificent East Gate from the outside.

We did Merenptah in 2006 - photos again in the above Webshots link.

Mrs eLaReF found this site useful for info about the tombs/temples/sites http://egyptsites.wordpress.com/

PM for any further info re sites

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sight Info

Sorry Bob, forgot a most important detail.....

Temple of Mut is not, in theory, open to the public, especially if the archaeologists are on site.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sight Info

Cheers eLaReF, that web site is brilliant, it wil give me some ideas. I just want to see some things, that I either may have missed or just haven't got around to seeing yet.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,111 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sight Info

Hi,

Am just over half way loading the pics from the Temple of Mut to my photobucket account. Keep checking back over the next 48 hrs; there will be about 32-35 when complete:

…photobucket.com/albums/…

It's a very flat site apart from the statues.

Regards

Raleigh, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sight Info

If this is one edge of the Karnak Temple you haven't seen, the Open Air Museum is a quiet and lovely spot with a lot of statuary and several reconstructed small bark chapels. The White Chapel of Senusret I especially is an architectural jewel, covered from roof to floor in exquisite reliefs. There is an extra charge (about 25 LE) for the Museum itself, and then for about 5 LE or so the guardian will lift the rope barrier so you can go inside the White Chapel to get a better look. And photography is not forbidden!

On the West Bank - The Tombs of the Nobles are worth it - don't miss Ramose.

Also on the West Bank - Deir Al-Medina (Village of the Workers). There are several worker's tombs above the ruins of the village, which are small but colorful. And at one end of the village is the Ptolemaic Temple (very different artistic style than the pharaonic stuff in other parts of Luxor.

8. Re: Sight Info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2010, 05:16