We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confiscation of Duty Frees?

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Confiscation of Duty Frees?

There have been a number of threads, with an even larger number of posts relating to the 'Water Police' and the bag searches and (threatened)confiscation of bottled water at certain hotels. What I am curious about is are the hotels taking the same attitude towards drinks bought in the Duty Free shops.

If you buy your limit of DF alcohol from the UK DF shop - 1L of Spirit or, I think, a box of wine it is perfectly legal to take it into the country. You then get the opportunity in the next 48hrs to buy up to another 3L of Spirits in Luxor. (Not to mention anything else that you can buy at one of the local shops if you so choose). That's a fair amount of alcohol - 4L Spririt - that could conceiveably be taken in to a hotel on check in alone, and fairly obvious for all to view.

Are the reps on package deals warning people in advance of any of these problems so that guests can be aware?

Whilst I do have certain sympathies with businesses trying to keep things 'in house', I can see that as most visitors to Luxor hotels are only on B&B basis that more and more will start renting flats and doing self catering!

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confiscation of Duty Frees?

I read in the JV literature that a "corkage fee" would apply, can't remember the exact figure but it was enough to make me be extra careful in hiding my bottle of Pimms.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confiscation of Duty Frees?

Reading this makes me glad I'm teetotal!

glasgow
Level Contributor
755 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confiscation of Duty Frees?

The JV do charge a corkage in the Fleur restaurant.about £5.00,But if you go to the front desk and ask there Thew will tell you there is no corkage if you ask they will give you a letter to hand to the restaurant stating so,just remember to tip but even with the corkage charge it is cheaper. also if you take a 3.lt box in your case from the UK ,they only charge you once if you leave the box in the restaurant.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confiscation of Duty Frees?

ooops DivaDarling, now you've made me think that folks will assume I'm a raving alcholic! lol

If and when I do buy Duty Frees for taking into Egypt it's usually as gifts or at the request of friends. At the risk of sounding critical I never cease to be amazed by the importance some travellers put on being able to get their alcohol whilst on holiday - but each to their own.

I am curious about the whole situation though and how it is being (mis)managed and reacted to.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confiscation of Duty Frees?

trap1 - have I really got this right? People take their own wine into restaurants that actully serve wine? Now that to my mind is wrong. I was trying to work out how or why a hotel would charge corkage for wine consumed in your own room but think they are perfectly correct to charge it, just as a restaurant anywhere else in the world would.

jak717
Level Contributor
204 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confiscation of Duty Frees?

just got back from JV yesterday and their "in room dining" literature states that you pay corkage of 160 EGP for wine, 200 for champagne and 260 EGP for spirits!!! it did also mention beer but i cant remember how much that was. The only time we were checked by seurity was on our first arrival at the hotel.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confiscation of Duty Frees?

No judgemental thoughts at all!

I just meant that any hotel-imposed restrictions on bringing legitimate duty free items onto the site is worrying.

What would follow - hotel bought cigarettes only?

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Confiscation of Duty Frees?

I am tee-total as well but that doesn't stop me thinking that depriving people of what is legally theirs in the way of duty free could be construed as theft.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confiscation of Duty Frees?

obeliskstou2 - this is one of the things I'm trying to get my head around.

If bottles are confiscated, how is it done?

Is a receipt given for collection on departure?

If bottles are not collected back by their owner what happens to them? (Do the hotels then sell the goods behind their own bars?)

I see a big hole for increasing black market stocks of alcohol in Luxor if this happens.

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Confiscation of Duty Frees?

They probably end up in the duty free shop in Luxor so tourists can buy them back again...its probably a vicious circle and theres one or two bottles constantly going round and round..

Get answers to your questions about Luxor