We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

orchid cruise, word of warning

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
orchid cruise, word of warning

just got back from this cruise, booked with first choice,

want to warn anyone before they go, the boat is american owned, so you will get you bill at the end of the week, extras are priced in egptian pounds, when you purchase anything on board, but the bill is then exchanged to dollars, meaning anyone who is paying with credit card, debit card, was paying a lot more than expected, no one warns you of this,

so my advise is either pay cash english, or egyptian or take some dollars with you, this only applies to this boat,

example, someone on the boat was expecting a £50 bill, but when it came to pay, it worked out at £80

for warned is for armed,

I do hope that makes sense, and helps someone

regards,

it annoyed quite a few on boat, and the rep informed noone of this

glasgow
Level Contributor
719 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: orchid cruise, word of warning

Why is it that in Luxor,the owners of most Establishments think it is OK to rip of there customers.from the hotels with the water, or the boats with drinks, the horse carrages drivers, the shop oweners, and still people take it.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: orchid cruise, word of warning

Because the people that come visit are filthy rich compared to those living there....could be one of the reasons....me thinks

3. Re: orchid cruise, word of warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 08:05
glasgow
Level Contributor
719 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: orchid cruise, word of warning

sorry owned

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: orchid cruise, word of warning

The Wings Group with their head office in Cairo owns and operates the following Nile cruise ships - the M/S Jasmin, M/S Tamr Henna, M/S Orchid and M/S Tulip. I thought that the Wings Group was Egyptian owned and am surprised at the revelation that they are an American Company. Where did you get the information that they were American owned? Was this information from the staff or from brochures? I have travelled on the M/S Jasmin twice and on both occasions was advised at check -in to settle the fianl bill in cash in Egyptian pounds or on credit card in USD.

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: orchid cruise, word of warning

Hi the information about it being american owned was from our first choice rep,

this came to light when people were paying there bills at the end of the week, and were surprised at how much they were being charged, and the fact it was in dollars, having seen the rep this is what she told them

I think it was a disgrace that the rep had not told the customers before hand, so that they could have got cash while off the boat, and then they could pay the correct about,

as you can imagine when they change the bill to another currency you always get a bad exchange rate,

she said it was the first time anyone had brought this to her attention, this we all did not believe, week in week out this must be happening, also some people were flown over from sharm at the beginning of the cruise, so were there on change over day, and were told by the customers, that there bill was double what it should have been, rep didnt know!

UK
Level Contributor
574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: orchid cruise, word of warning

To actually DOUBLE the bill would take a lot more than just a change from Sterling to US$ from Egyptian Ponds surely?

Matt.

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: orchid cruise, word of warning

yes you are right, they did get some money back, same on our boat, but what if they had not realised they had been charged too much, espeacially with them charging in dollars, confuses people, there was something not quite right going on

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: orchid cruise, word of warning

Been doing some thinking on this, since the topic was first posted & what strikes me is that, even though the exchange rate has been fluctuating somewhat over the last few days, £50 sterling is roughly equivalent to US$80.

In the situation you've described, where bills are priced in LE, converted to US$ & then converted to sterling for payment by UK guests (complicated in the extreme) one is left wondering whether someone entered the wrong currency for the transaction? In other words, they did all the conversions from Egyptian Pounds - US Dollars - GB Pounds & then entered the US$80/£50 as being £80, rather than US$80?

The other odd thing is that, although it is fairly common to pay hotel bills in foreign currency & receive your change in Egyptian Pounds (the hotel acting as a foreign exchange agency), it is generally stipulated that such bills must be paid, by law, in local currency. By stating that the bill must be paid in US Dollars, this cruise seems to be operating outside these normally encountered procedures.

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: orchid cruise, word of warning

it was very confusing to say the least, but the outcome was the same, they were paying more than they thought they would have at the end of the week, if they paid by card, so again, my advise is to take some cash in LE, or dollars,

this is not the same on all boats, as ive said before this is the third boat we have been on, just wouldnt like this to happen to someone else, thats why I posted

Get answers to your questions about Luxor