We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allbury Travel (Libra Holidays) collapses

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Allbury Travel (Libra Holidays) collapses

I read about this on the Sharm Forum and found this link to the BBC News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8422421.stm

This company included Libra, Argo Holidays and JetLife with flights operating from Gatwick, Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham and Leeds Bradford.

We travelled to Luxor with Libra just in May this year, so it's sad to see yet another company collapsing, especially at this time of the year.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Allbury Travel (Libra Holidays) collapses

It's sad news another travel company has gone bust, I hope no-one on here will be affected by it's collapse.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Allbury Travel (Libra Holidays) collapses

Wow, that's a surprise, I have been to Luxor with Libra myself in the past and always had the impression that they were one of the main operators to that destination.

Has it got anything to with the Scottish GlobeSpanair collapse, do you think?

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Allbury Travel (Libra Holidays) collapses

KV funny you should say that, one online news report claimed globespan were owe 36 million from their credit card clearing company - the exact same company deals with transactions for Libra.

timesonline.co.uk/tol/…article6962337.ece

www.ttglive.com/c/portal/layout…

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Allbury Travel (Libra Holidays) collapses

Hi KV

I think it may be due to the same credit card company that failed to pay Globespan having also failed to pay Allbury. Libra were a good company to go with too and it was an alternative to Thomsons who I just do not like!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Allbury Travel (Libra Holidays) collapses

So I would 'hazzard a guess that there are possibly a few ex-credit card company directors, lying on sunbeds in exotic far flung destinations, sipping pina colada's, with bulging wallets and bank accounts, full of everyone else's money, as is usually the case in these situations?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,068 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Allbury Travel (Libra Holidays) collapses

We're all going to be very careful about who we book holidays with in the future - and how we pay them.

From what the papers say, Globespan was only the first of many to fold.

I only just found out that Bales has been bought this week by Virgin Holidays. - Having met Mr Branson previously, Mrs eLaReF won't have anything to do with the Virgin label!!!

Her medication reduction schedule is looking at May/June 2010 before we can think about returning, if all goes as it should. We're not sure if we should warn Bob62 or not!!

Or maybe just warn Luxor itself??

Edited: 19 December 2009, 19:23
falkirk
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Allbury Travel (Libra Holidays) collapses

I was booked with globespan to fly out on boxing day due to their collapse i re-booked with libra!! haha my holiday has cost me a fortune now as i have had to rebook with jet2 hopefully they can stay in the air long enough for us to have our hols!! On the plus side every penny i have payed to globespan and libra was protected and i am due it all back! lets just hope the comany e-credit arent responsible for jet2 finance!!!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,068 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Allbury Travel (Libra Holidays) collapses

Crazybramhill

Maybe you should keep us informed of where you are booking, so we can avoid them????

Sorry - Couldn't resist it!!

Hope all goes well with this trip and glad you were sensible enough to take the sort of package and use the sort of payment method, that means you got your money back..

If only everyone else did the same.

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Allbury Travel (Libra Holidays) collapses

I think it would be wise to avoid all travel companies which have their credit card payments processed by E-clear.

http://www.eclear.com/

The list of now bankrupt companies that they were handling, and, supposedly withholding payments from, appears to be quite long.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Allbury Travel (Libra Holidays) collapses

One of the Scottish Papers this morning is highlighting the Globespan collapse and an MSP is urging the Police to investigate E-Clear - this is the link to the stories titled "MSP calls for fraud probe over Globespan" and "Flyglobespan-linked firm suddenly closes"

http://www.sundaypost.com/postindex.htm