We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viking Princess Review

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
14 reviews
Viking Princess Review

Just returned from a 7 night cruise on the Viking Princess from the 21st-28th December.

We had a fantastic time, and nothing is too much trouble for the staff on the boat. They prepared a fantastic Christmas dinner for us (on Christmas Eve) and everyone you met on Christmas Day wished us a Happy New Year. Slightly muddled, but the effort from staff was huge, and very endearing.

The guides and trips were excellent.

I found the locals got more friendlier the further South we went. The traders seemed rather intimidating in Luxor on the West Bank, but down in Aswan, particularly amongst the Nubians, although still present, they were much more laid back, didn't hassle you as much, and were actually rather comical with the comments they came out with. Just be aware, as there were a few "dodgy" situations were a man tried to lead me into a deserted building to see "his shop" (yeah right!!!) and the receptionist on the boat asked me for my email address, which until he appeared dissatisfied that it was an MSN or yahoo account and tried to give me his details, I assumed it was to send marketing about future holidays to me. Obviously not what he had planned....

These things were minor though, were easily managed, and didn't detract from the excellent experience we had there. Would absolutely recommend the Viking Princess. There are much nicer boats, but we were really impressed with the boat until we happened to see the even more glitzy boats, but they probably have much more glitzier prices. The boat has just been refurbished, and the room was really lovely.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

surrey
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Viking Princess Review

hi,glad you had a good time,we are taking a cruise in march and we would like to know more about the room, how was yours? was it big ? did it have good views ? do you think we should get the upper deck?

thanks

hope you can help me

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Viking Princess Review

The room was lovely, plenty of space, and a decent bathroom as well. The only quibble was a lack or drawer space. There's a complimentary room safe as well. As you spend a lot of time docked alongside other boats, there isn't really much of a view to be had out of the windows. The main advantage of paying for an upper deck room is that it's further from the boat engines, and therefore quieter. The first night or two, it did make it hard to fall asleep, but we got used to it after a few days. During the day most people sat on the sundeck and the views were great from there.

Hope this helps, and that you have a lovely time on your cruise

london
1 post
3. Re: Viking Princess Review

Hello,

I am looking to book a 7 day cruise on this boat also. Could you let me know who you booked through?

many thanks

4. Re: Viking Princess Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 January 2010, 13:58
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Viking Princess Review

Viking Princess is normally booked, in the UK, through Discover Egypt:

www.discoveregypt.co.uk/nile-cruises.php

The other alternative is to go direct to Viking Egypt themselves:

http://www.viking-egypt.com/Default.aspx

The mainn differences between the two options; only having booked through the latter, are that Viking offer most of their tour/cruise packages as beginning & ending in Cairo & that they also don't include the flights to & from the UK; this is because they are actually an Egyptian & Canadian company & most of their direct trade is with people based in North America.

Hope this helps.

Melbourne
6 posts
6. Re: Viking Princess Review

Hi there,

We'd like to hear from anyone who has used viking-egypt and what their experience has been.

We're about to book directly with http://www.viking-egypt.net (not the .com - go figure as they're the same web site details and whois reg'n) and I've been trying to verify their actual existence before sending money..... It hasn't been easy and this forum post was most difficult to find.

Hope to hear from someone

Deb & Gary

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Viking Princess Review

Deb & Gary

I've booked direct with Viking for every trip to Egypt since 1999, will be doing so again this year &, yes, they do actually exist.

The correct website is:

http://www.viking-egypt.com/Default.aspx

The company directors are a combination of Egyptians & Canadians & the new website replaced the viking-egypt.net site abouot 2 years ago. Unfortunately, the viking-egpyt.net domain name is paid for until later this year & so it's never been removed from the servers.

If you use the contact email address, for their Cairo office, they will normally send out an initial response within 24 hours.

As for experiences with them, generally they've benn very good. The only problems I've had have been due either to the fact that my own itinerary has been out of synch with their standard tours; & I therefore had to wait 10 years before I could actually sail on one of their own fleet - Royal Viking, so can't describe Viking Princess, I'm afraid, or third parties having to cancel activities I've booked (such as a balloon flight, last summer).

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me & I'll try to answer them for you.

Melbourne
6 posts
8. Re: Viking Princess Review

Thank you for the quick response. I'm amazed you know so much about the company and it's site history in detail :-0.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Viking Princess Review

I've no direct connection with the company, but I knew one of the Directors through an Egyptian tourism forum; without realising her travel company connections, & the first trip I made with them was a gathering of most of the forum members. We've since become good friends.

I don't submit reviews of their tours/boats as it could be held that I'm doing promorion, but I will help out if they provide a service; such as being prepared to allow children on their tours, that the UK company won't.

I had problems booking 2 years ago as I was filling out the form on the Viking-egypt.net site & they'd just done the switch over to the new one, but an email to the new address got everything sorted quite quickly..

Melbourne
6 posts
10. Re: Viking Princess Review

You've been most helpful GParry