We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid friendly hotels

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
LONDON
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kid friendly hotels

Hi, I was wondering If anyone could recommend a kid friendly hotel that Is centrally located please.As I'm now taking In to account the heat In august,I thought It would be nice to have good facilities for them after sight seeing and for variety.Ages are 16.13,11 and 2

A work collegue Is adamant that I'd be better off staying In Sharm (no offense, but I don't think It's for me). The hotels I have In mind at the moment are the Maritime Jolie and the Sofitel Karnak. I'm still having a look at various companies, so just wondering If anyone had any opinions.Thanks.

Clevedon, United...
Level Contributor
615 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kid friendly hotels

I would think that the hotels you mention are just about right for chidren,although overall Luxor is not a place that young families head for.

We have stayed at various hotels in Luxor and rarely do we see young children.

I think unless you as a family are not interested in visiting the many sites on offer,then Luxor might be a tad disappointing,and in the month you mention,its going to be sweltering hot.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kid friendly hotels

Hi there

I would quite honestly say that there aren't that many 'child friendly' hotels in Luxor, however I think the two that you mention are probably the best ones. I can't comment properly as I've not stayed in these hotels nor do I travel with children, but from what I've seen of the hotels and read on the forum, the JV and the Karnak are probably your best choice.

The Winter Palace Pavilion has a lovely pool area and gardens and the shallow pool is fine for children, but there aren't really any other facilities for them. Not sure about the Mercure (now called El Luxor or something similar) as it's in quite a good central location too.

LONDON
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kid friendly hotels

Hi, thank you very much for your replies. I am Interested In seeing many sites In luxor and so Is my 13 year old.The others not so.I may have to reconsider my base perhaps although I feel the Maritim Jolie will be really good.Thanks again.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kid friendly hotels

On reflection, although a bit out of town, I think the JV caters for children better than the other hotels - I forgot to mention that there's also a small 'zoo' and a resident camel to take their interest at the JV.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kid friendly hotels

Hello as Marlscat and Chami have said I think these two hotels are the best option for Children though I would not class them as central as you would need transport to get into the town centre, both offer free shuttle bus / boat at certain times of the day.

The Jolie Ville has a fantastic childrens pool and a small zoo which is worth a look round, there is also Ramses the camel, his keeper normally walks him round the grounds in the morning and for a little backsheesh offers small camel rides round the island.

I'm not really sure about the Sofitel Karnak but at the Jolie Ville there is really nothing entertainment wise to keep the children amused at night time, there are a couple of singers (and i am using that term loosley) in the bar and the hotel has a twice weekly Egyptian night called Fellah's Tent (food, drink, belly dancers, snake charmer) which is around £25 - £30.00 per adult (not sure about prices for children)

Some tour companies offer twin centre holidays so you could spend a week in Luxor and a week over on the Red Sea keeping all the family happy, the only drawback with this is it's a 4 hour journey between Luxor and the Red Sea resorts such as Hurghada.

Edited: 09 January 2010, 18:00
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kid friendly hotels

Happytraveller, As you and your 13 year old are the only ones that would be interested in the sites, one solution may be to stay in Hurghada, and come to Luxor for an extended 2 day trip this would allow you to see the main sites in Luxor, BUT stay in the slightly cooler resort of Hurghada (which is less frantic than Sharm) and may have enough to occupy the other children.

Luxor is a great place, BUT, as the wrong time of year with people who may not be as interested in the sites as you, may be a little heavy going on the whole party.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kid friendly hotels

If your children like pools then the JV is in my opinion a great place. Plenty of space for them around the garden areas and there are activities every day though maybe not always ones that all children like. There is a mini zoo, organised games and mini boat trips which the hotel lay on. My son loves it there and has been going since he was 6...he is now 11.

We tend to go in the hotter months and have been there in august. The heat can be a killer so after early morning sightseeing we tend to go poolside.

I have also been to Sharm and have to say that there are probably hotels that would cater more for your children but for me I wouldn't rush back there again now that I have been to Luxor.

Obviously a lot will depend on what your children like, but the history is amazing if they are into it.

Karen

LONDON
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kid friendly hotels

Thanks again for all your suggestions.If we do stay in luxor then it will be the JV.I'm considering a bit of time in Sharm,but the comparisons to spain are putting me off-as that is not the experience I'm looking for....The 16year old is now saying he may not wish to come...kids,lol.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,089 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kid friendly hotels

I don't see any reason why you should not visit Luxor with your children. It's not a beach holiday - I assume you realise that., and that there is little in the way of manufactured "entertainment". The two hotels with most grounds are the JV and the Sofitel Karnak, but the Winter Palace is very central with lovely gardens and the Pyramisa Isis is nearly as nice IMO.

Egyptians love children and we took ours when they were about 8 and 12. They thought it was fantastic.

My main concern would be going to Egypt at all in August. Personally I would be very reluctant to go there between May and October. It's just too hot and the sun is so fierce you would have to spend all your time keeping your toddler out of the sun.

Another possibility would be to stay in Aswan. The Movenpick is a fabulous hotel with wonderful grounds and pools. It's far more relaxed than Luxor, and camel rides, boat rides, and visits to local villages as well as temples etc are very easy to organise. You can just take a car down from Luxor, the drive is about 4 hours and costs about £40 for a minibus. The downside to this is that you have to book your flights etc separately - or you can book a supercheap package to Luxor (summer is low season) on the internet and ditch the hotel.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kid friendly hotels

Verity, the problem with Aswan is it is smaller and the temps in August will around 5 to 10 degrees hotter than Luxor, so if Luxor is sweltering Aswan will be unbearable.