We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour operators in Luxor

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle U.K.
Level Contributor
36 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Tour operators in Luxor

We are visiting Luxor for the first time and have read that it is often better to book tours independently rather than go with your tour operator. Can you recommend any good tour operators in Luxor and how do we find them! We like to travel in small groups and at our own pace - we will be staying at the Sheraton in Luxor.

Thank you

2 canny geordies

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour operators in Luxor

There are a few (Jolley's, Karnak travel , Abu Simbel travel) in front of the Old Winter Palace to the right if looking straight at the hotel in the town.

Leicester, England
Level Contributor
105 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour operators in Luxor

I've used Misr African Travel near Nile Palace last year and found them to be very professional and efficient. Reasonable, competitive prices too.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour operators in Luxor

Agree with Kaz & Wanderlust

Assuming you have time on the 1st day to visit a few local agencies, it is certainly less expensive.

If you send KV-Explorer a PM, letting him know what hotel you are in, he should be able to send you copies of the tour price lists from those tour agencies nearby. He collected quite a few in May last year.

Newcastle U.K.
Level Contributor
36 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour operators in Luxor

Thank you that's helpful

Newcastle U.K.
Level Contributor
36 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour operators in Luxor

Thanks sounds worth looking at

Newcastle U.K.
Level Contributor
36 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour operators in Luxor

Yes I think it will certainly be worth spending time on the first day looking around the tour operators before we book anything.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour operators in Luxor

Slapped about the head by Mrs eLaReF (AGAIN!!)

I didn't say above that having been around the travel agencies you could, if you have got as far as the WP, pop next door and do the Luxor Temple. Easily do-able without any form of guide.

There is a new entrance now, on the side away from the Corniche (somewhere near the yellow dot on this map - www.luxortraveltips.com/maps/centralluxor.htm )

A bit of a stroll north along the Corniche would then get you to the Luxor museum which is air-con'd so would be a welcome respite from the heat, as well as a fascinating tour.

A peruse of the full LuxorTravelTips site mentioned above would be useful - it is NON-Commercial

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour operators in Luxor

Hi TCG,

As eLaReF suggests, if you PM me a 'regular' e-mail address, I can send you copies of pricelists of 6 or 7 Luxor based travel companies (including the ones mentioned in the posts above) that I brought back with me in October '09, if this will help you with your planning.

England
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour operators in Luxor

Hi Twocannygeordies

If you need another PM me and I will send the details of the one I use and recommend. They are Egypt based and can organise it all online with you before you get there or by phone or face to face when you are there

YS

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour operators in Luxor

It is also worth mentioning that there are many tour companies that are not licensed as either tour operators or as businesses in Egypt and in Luxor in particular. A few of these "enterprises" are regularly touted on this forum. Just because they have a web site doesn't mean that they are legitimate businesses. You may have serious insurance concerns if you do not check out completely what you are getting into.