We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Scam

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Visa Scam

Thomas Cook and other companies are still operating a visa scam. They charge their clients £13 for a visa which are readily available form the many bank kiosks in the arrivals hall for only £10. Also they charge upto 300% more for their excursions than the dozens of travel agencies in Luxor town.

UK
Level Contributor
578 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa Scam

What's new?

cumbria
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa Scam

now then do the reps keep the extra money they make on the visa's or do there company?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,142 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa Scam

Hi,

Been going on for years.

I think it will be the company as some tour ops / travel agents say it at the time of booking.....but maybe someone else knows differently.

Pain in the wotsit tho....not so much the money (altho it can mount up if there is several of you in the group....we used to travel with our 2 sons as well) but it's the principle!

Handling fee!!!!! What do they do to deserve the handling fee???

Diddly-squat!

Regards

Edited: 24 February 2010, 17:26
UK
Level Contributor
574 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa Scam

Agreed,

But...it is the way of the world these days, being shafted...

Do you pay the £4-50 fee to British TelecoN for paying your bill...NOT for being late with payment...just for paying them?

As oldbie says...What's new?

Matt

lincoln
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa Scam

Nothing changes then

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa Scam

Yes, it is a bit of a scam but, let's be honest here, it only seems to apply to some UK travel companies.

I've used British & an Egyptian/Canadian company for the last 22 years who have provided honest visa information.

It really does seem to be a case of some UK travel companies trying to profit out of the naivety of their guests.

The answer is to prepare yourself & knowthe correct procedure; mainly through site such as TA.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa Scam

This subject crops up again and again, and each time I have the same feelings but don’t express them for fear of the opprobrium which will surely be heaped upon me in good measure. Well, my time has come!

I cannot help but think of good old Thomas Cook, and his pioneering spirit and ingenuity which brought about the “Package Holiday”. If it wasn’t for that man, I suspect that only a tiny number of us could ever have actually visited this land which we have come to love so dearly. We would all have had to be as intrepid as KV Explorer and as wealthy as Lord Caernarvon to be where we are today. (As far as our experience of Egypt goes, that is. Except for the likes of me, who are blessed enough to be able to actually STAY here!)

While we all love to call the tour operators for their individual little foibles (lack of seat space, quality of meals, the poor service on board, the apparent greed of there reps and guides, inflated tour and excursion prices etc. etc.) we should remember that the vast majority of those whom we would advise on TA are using the services of these same companies to get here and stay here. Without them there would be no Egyptian holidays to speak of, and no TA either (I believe that TripAdvisor now belongs to one of the big holiday companies).

Whilst I cannot disagree with the comments about T C’s visa operation, I can certainly imagine a circumstance where the service (if it were carried out properly) could be very useful and taken up by many customers voluntarily, and they would be willing to pay the premium. It’s a great shame that the whole situation has been allowed to degenerate to this point where the genuine provision of a useful, chargeable, service is now, for several reasons, viewed purely as yet another means of further fleecing the poor tourist.

I’m certain that poor old T C would turn in his grave if he could see his beloved company in such disarray and the subject of such abuse.

I've just been reading a book about Muslim women and the Law. The Quran says that the Muslim should not discard his wife for some particular fault. As, if there is some trait in her he hates, then there will be another which he likes and that should be enough for him to keep her.

I hate to say it, but.........the big tour companies are a bit like women, in the regard that we sometimes cannot live with them but we certainly cannot live without them!

Regards,

Edward.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa Scam

Perhaps if the tour operators were a wee bit more honest and say "we can get the visa for you on arrival for a small fee" then people would have the option.

The information sheet I got along with my invoice for a holiday I have booked for next year with Thomas Cook tells me "the price of a Visa has risen to $18"

All I can say is thank god for TA!!!!

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa Scam

I was looking up visa info earlier in the week for a not British Passport holder. I can understand (to a point) how some of the confusion over prices result as some of the websites are not really worded that well.

If you look at the Visa Section of the Cairo Airport it would appear when looking at the pricing section that the visa cost is higher than we regurlar visitors to Egypt have come to expect, the key I think though is in the wording at the top which I have interpreted as 'if buying in advance of travel'. I am wondering now if the Travel companies that are accused of Visa scams on arrival have to work on these prices.

http://www.cairo-airport.com/pass_visa.asp

http://www.cairo-airport.com/pass_visa1.asp (prices)

I have also looked at the Egyptian Consulate website (although I don't know how often up to date it is). It is a very clear website to view and I would suggest that a DE might like to add their link to the Useful info section

FAQ's .http://www.egyptianconsulate.co.uk/FAQ.php

Visa Prices (but I think these are if applied for in advance - a good guidline never the less). http://www.egyptianconsulate.co.uk/Visas.php

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa Scam

Hi boringFS

TA won't allow us to post a link to an external website into the top questions section (I didn't know that until I just tried it!!). I am sure though that Suzie will add this link into her traveller list of helpful links once she reads this thread.

As far as I know, the information re prices on the Egyptian Consulate website is correct (£15 for a single entry visa and £18 for a multiple one). These prices have remained the same for many years - those prices were quoted when I first travelled to Luxor, and that wasn't yesterday!! lol