We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

I have read many threads on here about taking photos at VOK and other sites and I know there is some info availble on some ofthe other sites but some of the info is contradictory to say the least.

Now I fully understand and agree that taking pictures insode tombs is damaging and can't be allowed, I would not even contemplate doing it. However what I would like to know is can you take a picture at the tomb entrance? For example stood outside king Tuts tomb by the sign that says what it is? OR is that just a definate no no as well?

If anyone who has been recently, or live out there could let me know for definate what I will be able to do. My little girl wants her picture taken outside some of the tombs, to take to school.

Thanks very much

Simon

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

I was at the Valley of the Kings last week and there's a sign that's very prominently posted that a 2000LE fine will be imposed if a camera is found in your possession. They don't, however, confiscate or check for camera phones before entering the security/x-ray point. There are "attendants" in the tombs watching out for people toting cameras. We had a private van/driver, so we just left all our equipment in the van..

Mentioned in this post
Valley of the Kings
Valley of the Kings
4,716 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Bristol
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

Just got back and at the entrance to the VOK there is a guy checking whether you have a camera etc, we hadn't taken ours as everyone was saying not to on here, but the amount of people openly taking photos with camera phones got me quite annoyed, the fact it was done so brazenly in front of the tombs made a complete mockery of any ban. I felt quite cheated that these others had a photographic record of there day and I just have the ticket stub. LOL.

Torrance, California
Level Contributor
180 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

Would someone local be able to identify which areas ALLOW photography? I can tell from the thread that VOK & VOQ, Luxor Temple are all off limits - and it sounds like they could take your camera and delete all pictures on it.

What about a phone that has a camera built in? It seems like some people are using those. Am I going to be forced to leave it also?

As a first time visitor to Egypt later this summer, it scares me to think that my only memories of my wife and my once in a lifetime trip to Cairo and Luxor could be put in jeopardy if I leave my camera at the ticket office - yet I don't want to just leave my camera in the hotel and find out at a specific site that photography is allowed.

Mentioned in this post
Luxor Temple
Luxor Temple
3,389 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

Orbops, picture-taking was absolutely allowed at Luxor Temple. We and probably every tourist there was snapping away.

Camera cell phones were not confiscated at the VOKs and I did see people using them discretely, but I don't think it was technically allowed.

Mentioned in this post
Luxor Temple
Luxor Temple
3,389 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

Hi orbops

Photography IS allowed at Luxor Temple both at night and during the day. You do however have to pay a fee if you want to use a tripod (although you may get away with using one of those small ones without having to pay). (At least that was the case last year when I was there). I know it's not your question, but another place where photography is also not allowed is within Luxor Museum.

The worst thing about taking photos at Luxor Temple is trying to avoid the dreaded Macdonalds restaurant in the background!!

Mentioned in this post
Luxor Temple
Luxor Temple
3,389 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Luxor Museum
Luxor Museum
1,228 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

Adding to the 'photography allowed' list (unless things have changed in the last few months):

Temple at Medinet Habu

Karnak Temple

Carters House

Edinburgh, Bonny...
Level Contributor
126 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

Quick question people in the know. My daughter wants to go back over to the west bank temples this year and I have four in mind ie: Medinet Habu, Ramesseum, (personal favourite), Hatchepsut and maybe Amenhotep,(she is only 12 so I think 4 will be enough). Would I be correct in assuming that photography is allowed in the areas mentioned and that the restrictions apply purely to the valleys containing tombs? On a personal note, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't take my yearly "mood", shots of Luxor Temple lol, I love that place.

Mentioned in this post
Luxor Temple
Luxor Temple
3,389 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Leicester
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

You should be fine for photos at those locations

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

This is a controversial topic as I have never really understood why photographing someone standing outside say, Tutankhamuns tomb, could possibly be deemed a problem- its just a photo to "prove" you have been somewhere and in other places eg Deir El Medina or the Nobles Tombs you will usually find a guardian willing to take a photo of you inside a tomb for a tip...so no scheme is foolproof.

Mentioned in this post
Medina
Medina
Al Madinah Province, Saudi Arabia
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

Sorry if this question has been answered - but where are you to leave your camera when entering these sites? I am not really thinking I will hire a driver for the day, so leaving it in the cab will not be an option.