We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

I have read many threads on here about taking photos at VOK and other sites and I know there is some info availble on some ofthe other sites but some of the info is contradictory to say the least.

Now I fully understand and agree that taking pictures insode tombs is damaging and can't be allowed, I would not even contemplate doing it. However what I would like to know is can you take a picture at the tomb entrance? For example stood outside king Tuts tomb by the sign that says what it is? OR is that just a definate no no as well?

If anyone who has been recently, or live out there could let me know for definate what I will be able to do. My little girl wants her picture taken outside some of the tombs, to take to school.

Thanks very much

Simon

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
81. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

Just to perhaps throw a bit more light onto another reason there may be (at the moment at least) a total camera ban, within the VoK.

Just before the recent ban was put in place, I was in VoK and sitting just outside Tutankhamun's tomb (KV62)

As those who have been there will know, that adjacent and to the right of KV62 is the tomb of Merenptah (KV8) and at this time, inbetween these 2 tombs there were 'new' excavations going on (of the now confirmed discoveries of KV64 & 65) and this area was 'roped off' with a hand scribbled sign on a piece of cardboard hanging on the rope saying 'no photos'.

As I sat there, an elderly woman and her husband came over and he posed by the KV62 sign, whilst she took his photo.

The problem was, that due to the angle from which she took this photo, the 'roped off - no photos' area WOULD have been in the shot.

With this, an official came running out from the office in the shelter opposite, screaming and shouting at her in Arabic, snatched her camera from out of her hands and proceeded to delete ALL the photos on her memory card.

The poor woman (who had burst into tears) was totally oblivious as to what she had done wrong.

At this time, there had been no announcement of further tomb finds and the SCA were desperately trying to 'keep a lid on it'.

These excavations are still ongoing and will be for quite a while.

So whether THAT has any bearing on the current ban, . . . I don't know.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

KV, I think your latest example is very likely to be, if not 'the' reason, at least one of the contributary factors for the ban.

I fully appreciate it would be lovely to have personal photo's of all these places, I certainly wish I had one of my ascent up the the steps to KV34 when it reopened last Dec - something I was told in 2003 that I would not physically be able to manage! However, the situation is there is a ban in place so no photo.

I've been thinking a lot about this subject recently and it seems to me there are many places around the world that we, the tourist, are not allowed to take photo's, for example around the UK there many grand houses where you cannot take photo's inside, and at some in certain areas on the outside. Do people create a fuss about that? I wonder what the policy is on Bucking Palace or Windsor Castle! Is it really so different? Personally, I think not.

So, maybe the VoK's a case of trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted, but alas it is often only time that makes such situations necessary. :-(

Scotland
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
83. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

I still think they could have an 'official' photographer. That way, they rake in the cash, and at the same time protect the tombs from any flash photography and also any excavations they don't want the world to see as yet. So no matter what the reason - an official photographer would solve them all (to an extent at least!). Why they haven't thought of this (from a financial aspect if nothing else!!) is beyond me!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
84. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

Sounds like a potential 'business opportunity' up for grabs there Airiddh, LoL !

Have a tripod on your shoulder and suggest it at the VoK office (in the shelter) on your upcoming trip, perhaps, :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

Even here in Scotland, there are bans regarding photography inside certain buildings but, do we let that put us off visiting – no, we do not.

Other places in the world also have restrictions on photography such as Thailand and Sri Lanka where they certainly used to take great delight in having on display for all to see, rolls of film that they had ripped out of cameras - (pre digital days). We don’t let that put us off visiting those places either.

Certainly to have a ban in the ‘open air’ so to speak is very frustrating but KV and others have explained all of that to the fullest extent. So, OK, you’re not allowed to take photos in the VoK; let’s just accept that as there’s nothing we can do about that for the moment - apart from complaining bitterly on here of course!! However, there are PLENTY of other photo opportunities in and around Luxor, so I think we should all make the most of that in case things change there too in the future!!

I do have a question though - what about the folks on balloon trips – are you still allowed to take photos of the VoK from the balloons?

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

'....are you still allowed to take photos of the VoK from the balloons?'

To the best of my knowledge - yes. But as we all know that may or may not be the case on the day we want to do it. ;-) lol!

I do remember, some years ago, when I was looking into balloon trips for someone, reading that you were not allowed to take photo's from the balloons which really stunned me. Then I looked at a couple of balloon company websites and one positively encouraged taking photo's from the balloon.

I think it would be a very hard thing to monitor given the prevelence of such sites as Google Earth (wish they would update Luxor and put the roads lines in the right place).

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
87. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

Hi Marlscat,

On your 'photos from balloons' question, if you remember when the balloons were grounded, due to the accident last year, one of the 'delaying' factors of them getting back into the air, was the debates/arguments about what the price of a balloon flight would be, as allsorts of 'official' bodies were lining up for their cut.

When everything was almost agreed, there was then another delay, when the SCA stepped in, demanding THEIR cut of the take, as balloon trippers would be taking 'free' photos of THEIR sites.

This is a major indication that the camera ban has a lot (if not everything) to do with a 'commercial' arrangement, concerning photographic 'rights',

Edited: 23 June 2010, 14:32
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

That's right KV - when I asked that question before there was no clear cut answer as the balloons were still grounded at that time. I just wondered if anything had changed in that respect as one of the major factors for me certainly in taking a balloon flight is also taking loads of photos!!

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

On the subject of 'official photographer' - I can understand how some people would perceive this as the answer to the problem however, I have some reservations about it based upon experience at places with them.

Everyone complains about the hassle in Egypt. I think 'official photographers', and there would need to be quite a number of them working the VoK at any one time given it's size, all chasing for the same business would be intolerable.

Would they be hired to go to, or at, particular points for a specific photo or would they be the 'opportunist' type who have a licence to take any photo's of you and then try to sell you as many as possible at the end? Many people really do not like to have their photo taken - fact - and even worse then being hounded to buy it afterwards!

Then of course there's the Disney/Alton Towers photography where you don't realise your photo's been taken until you are on your way out and then you can have it mounted or put on a key ring. Perhaps before long we can all come away from the VoK's with our own faces photo superimposed onto Tut's death mask in the form of key ring or mousemat!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
90. Re: Photography and Valley of the kings and other sites.

You mean you don't already have those then, boring? LoL !