We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Responsible Tomb and Temple Visiting

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
671 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Responsible Tomb and Temple Visiting

Speaking to Moustafa Wazery, the SCA director of the West Bank he asked me to pass on some comments to visitors to Luxor.

"You are very welcome but please help preserve the monuments for future visitors.

Photography has been banned in both the Valley of Queens and Valley of Kings, this is because so many people were taking their cameras into the valleys and then taking photos inside the tombs. This is forbidden and I afraid the few have ruined it for the majority.

Please, please, please do not touch the paintings, they are real and original. You don’t need to test. (I actually saw a tourist scraping at the paint with their nails and saying ‘look it comes off’ I slapped them, yes it does come off and touching, scraping, rubbing will take it off.) Don’t do it.

Rucksacks, backpacks please carry them in hands in the tombs; a lot of damage is done by people’s backpacks scraping the walls.

As churches as for Christians, mosques for Muslims and synagogues for Jews so were the temples for the Ancient Egyptians. Please dress respectfully and keep beachwear for the beach.

Some rather unscrupulous tour companies are selling panorama tours; they charge the tourists to view sites like the temple of Hatshepsut at Deir el Bahri from the car park. This is very unfair on the tourist and the SCA but very lucrative for the tour companies. So the SCA has made it a rule if you are in the car park you must pay for a ticket."

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Responsible Tomb and Temple Visiting

'Panorama' tours? I can't believe that people fall for that!!

Edited: 11 March 2010, 14:35
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Responsible Tomb and Temple Visiting

"I slapped them,"

Love it!

:-)

Good reminder.

Regards

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Responsible Tomb and Temple Visiting

When we are there, I was told that shorts and a sleeveless t shirt would be acceptable dress for visiting the sites, is this correct?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Responsible Tomb and Temple Visiting

Hi,

I would never wear shorts; I always wear at least 3/4 length trousers or full length.

If I wear a T-shirt, I carry something to cover my arms & don't show much chest.

Whilst no-one is likely to say anything (that you can understand, unless you speak Arabic) you will attract unwanted attention & it adds fuel to the theory that western women are "easy".

Don't make eye contact & don't be too "touchy-feely" as this will be misread.

Regards

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Responsible Tomb and Temple Visiting

Hi there

Re acceptable dress codes, here's a link that may help you

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20276-Dress_Co…

You'll find this link also under the Top Questions about Luxor on the right hand side of the forum page where you'll also get links to lots of other useful information as well.

Hope that helps.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Responsible Tomb and Temple Visiting

This traveller list on dress codes might help you a bit tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20276-Dress_Co…

I think knee length shorts would be o.k. but I would avoid short shorts and sleeveless tops when out and about. I've had a wee bit of hassle in the past and have found by covering up more I tend to get hassled less.

It also helps sheild your skin from the intensity of the sun.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Responsible Tomb and Temple Visiting

I should think that the majority of folk who read this forum already know that they shouldn't touch the antiquities and things like that. But I suppose that it's good to remind us all, thanks.

The only beef I have is where we are asked to be respectful because we are in a temple; to whom should we be showing respect?

And if this came from the SCA, I think they've got a bit of a cheek as they go around grave robbing, and interfering with the remains of dead royalty and pauper alike!

Regards,

Edward.

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Responsible Tomb and Temple Visiting

Thanks for the link guys, when I said shorts, I did mean 3/4 length ones, below the knee. I wouldn't want to subject anyone to anymore lol. Short fat hairy legs and all that!!!

Simon

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Responsible Tomb and Temple Visiting

Oh, you're a fella ! Lol!

So many folk post under names that seem manly, then sign themselves "Sue" or something similar.........but then, wasn't there a song about a boy named Sue?

:-0

Anyway, you shouldn't be viewed as too bad if you wear a sleevless T-shirt but I have seen a guy, who took off his shirt at a temple, be asked to put it back on.

You will need shorts below the knee & covered shoulders for any mosques tho, like in Cairo.

Regards

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,772 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Responsible Tomb and Temple Visiting

I think he has made some fair comments and requests. I do have a bit of an issue with the 'Panoramic Tours' and Car Park fees bit though. When I think back to the coach tour I did from my cruise boat it encompassed a number of sites in the same trip. Some people just physically were not up to walking upto Hatchepsut's temple and others found it too hot and were content to wait on the air con coach until the others had returned. I'm sure the tickets were bought on site at the time. Even if this was one of the 'all inclusive' trips it is surely going to put the costs up if people are to be charged full price just for sitting on the coach.

Get answers to your questions about Luxor
Recent Conversations