We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile Cruise - Royal Viking 5-star deluxe boat

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nile Cruise - Royal Viking 5-star deluxe boat

My husband and I are researching a Nile cruise, hopefully later this year. So far really, we have yet to find a post which gives us confidence to book any! There seem to be so many posts which report unclean boats, poor hygiene and people being ill on so many! All of a sudden I found an encouraging post for the Royal Viking 5-star boat which, initially, had one or two replies which would have led me to book - until I also came across replies indicating that one never seems to know WHICH boat you would be booking; also that many people complain about the diesel fumes when queuing up waiting to get into a place. We are both very put off now, which is very disappointing, because we were hoping to go.

I would very much welcome some honest and encouraging replies to help us change our minds back again, in particular anyone who has been this past year on the Royal Viking.

Many thanks.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nile Cruise - Royal Viking 5-star deluxe boat

Hello,

I'm sorry I can't help you with that particular boat but while you are waiting on more replies coming in I'll try and help with some of your other concerns

Some people do seem to get bothered more with diesel fumes than others, you normally notice them more when many boats moor up together, I can't say I have ever been particularly bothered but I work in the office of an engineering shop and am pretty used to the smells by now. Here is a link to an inside page on the pro's and con's of Nile Cruising tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20755-Is_a_Nil…

People being ill might have nothing to do with poor food or bad hygiene on board, there are many other factors that can cause upset stomachs on board - I hope this inside page helps a bit tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20670-Will_I_f… I have yet to have had a badly upset stomach on a Nile Cruise boat.

There are also alternatives to the bigger Nile Cruise boats like Dahabeyas or Sandals which are smaller sail boats which have a good level of comfort. Here is a link to a trip report from fellow TA member Ada who recently sailed on a Dahabeya tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294203-i9259-k2…

Please don't let a few negative reports put you off, there is really nothing that can compare with sailing down the Nile watching life on the riverbank glide by - it's pure bliss.

Hope this has helped a bit,

Suzie

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nile Cruise - Royal Viking 5-star deluxe boat

Firstly, I have to say I've not been on the Roya Viking and I've not done a cruise for a long time. I have however taken a cruise on the Nile and sailed on the Viking 2 , although I believe that has now been taken out of service and more modern boats joined the Viking fleet. You don't say who you are considering booking with but I booked through Discover Egypt who use the Viking fleet. I've not looked at their site for some while but it's possible you may get some reviews and feed back from there.

We were a mixed party of 5 aged 40 - 80 and all had a wonderful time. None of us got ill and only a couple on the boat were known to have a 'bit of tummy' for a day. Indeed the boat manager was very keen to show off the hygeine certificates and also a tour was arranged of the galley one afternoon.

We found the whole boat, although 'tired' to be very clean and comfortable. The crew were polite and friendly, but not overly so.

The diesel fumes I only noticed one afternoon briefly when sitting on the top deck just before we were about to sail.

One of our party, for whome money is no object and has travelled widely and in some of the top hotels around the world, still rates her Nile Cruise as one of the best holidays she's ever had. I certainly would do it again given the opportunity and would encourage anyone else to do so. It is the perfect way to get a taste of the history of Egypt, visiting many sites of interest and also to relax as you sail on the Nile, taking a little of the life on the water bank.

As for getting ill, well in truth it can happen anywhere, anytime, no matter where you stay. For all the people that get holiday tummy, and there are many reasons why that may happen, there are 100's if not 1000's who don't.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nile Cruise - Royal Viking 5-star deluxe boat

I've lost count of the number of Nile cruise which I have been on, from two nights to 13 nights on one occasion. I'm not bragging here, some were taken because they were cheaper than the cheapest decent hotel at that particular time!

I can honestly say that none of my family have had any bad stomach experiences, but none of us drink alcohol and certainly no freezing cold drinks on a hot stomach. One boat we were on (the worst ever, in fact) had only 30 passengers, and 26 were violently ill for several days. Only us and another couple were unaffected. We had eaten the same food at every meal as the others, but we hadn't lain in the sun on the deck, and neither had we been pouring ice cold lagers down our necks at every opportunity.

As for the reports of not being able to sleep for the noise of the boat engines or the smell of exhaust fumes etc. I have never really noticed any of these!

As Suzie rightly says, gliding effortlessly up and down the most enigmatic river in the world is unbeatable. Much of the passing scenery hasn't changed in thousands of years, there are places where you can actually feel as if you have travelled back in time to the days of the Israelites captivity.

IMHO nothing can match it.

Although I haven't sailed on the Royal Viking, I've got to say that she looks absolutely splendid, and I'd love the opportunity to try her out.

Just get it booked up, you may miss out on the holiday of a lifetime if you keep prevaricating!

Best wishes,

Edward.

p.s. It has been 43/110 today in the shade. Don't come in the summer months unless you can stand REAL heat, and I'm not joking!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nile Cruise - Royal Viking 5-star deluxe boat

Many thanks everyone for your very speedy replies. I shall certainly sign on again tomorrow and read on. We would like to go in October when it ought to be cooler - it's me that can't take the intense heat and humidity - and do 7 nights on a boat and a week in Luxor! So I'll probably be reading your posts "ourluxorflat" seeing as you actually live there. Feeling encouraged again - but will still welcome any further replies.

Regards.

Edited: 15 March 2010, 21:58
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nile Cruise - Royal Viking 5-star deluxe boat

With regard to the specific boat, MS Royal Viking, I sailed ffom Aswan - Luxor on her, last July.

I booked direct with Viking; Discover Egypt are their main agants in the UK, &, although my request allowed for either Royal Viking or Viking IV (now revanmped & re-christened Viking Princess), as my itierary required, I ended up with an Upper Deck Cabin on Royal Viking.

I've done more than a few Nile cruises over the last 22 years & have sailed on a variety of boats; Nile Star, Soleil, Sunboat IV, Solaris II, Al Kahila, to name a few & must admit to having found the Royal Viking to have been amongst the higher end, in terms of decor (more restrained than some of the way over the top sights you see), food (all buffet for the three nights I was aboard, but a good variety & always an omelette bar, carvery or pasta dish special), facilities (bar, lots of sun loungers, decent sized plunge pool & Hanna, teh masseuse sorted out a bad back - from a stay in a London hotel the week before - for only LE60 for an hour) & service. I didn't catch any of the organised entertainment, but they were great for always having either football or MTV on the two bar TVs.

The cabin itself featured twin beds, a bathroom(with over bath shower), adequate wardrobe space, desk, sitting area, flatscreen , satellite, TV, individual aircon controls (so you can turn it off if it starts to get too cold), & French window (with the usual 4 inch wide balcony). All furniture & the floor were in dark wood, with fabrics in green (surprisingly calming).

The cabin was located towards the rear of the boat, but I never experienced diesel fumes (though I will admit to never having really been all that bothered with these, when I've encountered them in the past).

I only heard of one person being sick & they put it down to having fallen asleep leaning against a window on their Abu Simbel trip; there is a strict regime of hand gel use when going into any area where food or drink might be encountered.

I've put some of the many photos on PhotoBucket:

…photobucket.com/albums/…

just in case you wanted to seee some that aren't from a brochure.

Bristol
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nile Cruise - Royal Viking 5-star deluxe boat

We have just recently travelled with Discover Egypt on Viking Princess and during our stay in Cairo we met up with people who were on the sister boat Royal Viking - they had glowing reports of this boat and we were hightly delighted with Viking Princess too. I have written a review of our trip which can be found by going on to the Africa Forum and then finding the Egypt Forum where you will hopefully find my review. It is entitled Nile Cruise on Viking Princess with Discover Egypt.

I hope this will put your mind at rest about booking with Discover Egypt. Good Luck with your plans - you will have a wonderful time in Egypt.

Regards

Suron

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
206 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nile Cruise - Royal Viking 5-star deluxe boat

hello ,we have been on a few nile cruises but not on the viking ours were with the travco group, we have NEVER been ill whilst on the boats or on any other stays in Egypt , please do have faith in the cruises as they are a wonderful way to see Egypt especially for first time visitors, all of the boats we have been on were spotless they may not have been new but the standard is usually very high and the service excellent. go book a cruise you wont regret it ,should you want further info please pm me and i will answer any questions honestly and with accuracy,

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
829 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nile Cruise - Royal Viking 5-star deluxe boat

I was so pleased to see this query as I too have been researching Nile cruises in anticipation of going in October, and I too had the same concerns as goldfinch. It seemed the more reviews I read the less certain I was. Both my husband and I have wanted to go to Egypt for some time, and have realistic expectations of standards, as long as it's clean, safe and comfortable we'll be happy. These replies have reassured me and I hope to book shortly.

Devon
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nile Cruise - Royal Viking 5-star deluxe boat

Having just returned from Egypt and a Nile cruise on The Royal Viking I cannot recommend it highly enough. We were not quite sure what to expect but it was SUPERB.

Our cabin was very comfortable and the standard of food was generally very good, though some meat dishes were sometimes overcooked and a little chewy. Having heard so many tales about sickness on Nile cruises, we avoided salads – until, that is, we went on the tour of the kitchens. We couldn’t believe how high the standards of hygiene and cleanliness were. Even the engine room looked so spotless, I felt one could have eaten dinner in there! Not one person was ill on our trip on the Royal Viking, and I would have been surprised if they had been.

All of the staff, whether cooks, waiters, bar, cleaning etc were welcoming, friendly and really efficient. Sometimes, the waiters were just a little too efficient, and it would have been nice if they had waited until we had finished chewing our last mouthful before the plates were whipped away from us. But that is a minor quibble.

We found Discover Egypt excellent in all their efficiency and organisation, and the Royal Viking was a delight to be on.

As for diesel fumes - some people with cabins towards the rear of the boat said they were aware of them. We were lucky and had a cabin, on the middle deck, but very near the front. We didn't encounter fumes at all. So perhaps one should ask to be as far forward as possible when booking.

Our holiday was the 'Ancient Egypt' package for two weeks. We upgraded the hotels to the Mena House in Cairo, and the Winter Palace in Luxor.

Everything exceeded our expectations and we had a very busy, but brilliant, time.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nile Cruise - Royal Viking 5-star deluxe boat

Wow, thanks dandbDevon, you have obviously had a wonderful time; the Royal Viking sounds marvellous. We have, in fact, now booked with Nile Cruises Direct and are going on the MS Opera which is only 5 months old. I am looking forward to it immensly. We are going 11th-25th October, one week on the boat and one week in Luxor. Obviously we will be doing all the excursions which go with the boat but do plan to relax off a bit and do a few of our own on the last week.

We plan to do a hot air balloon trip, also birdwatching but if there are any absolute "musts" I would love to be informed of those.

Many thanks to everyone who has replied. What would we do without wonderful Trip Advisor - what indeed?

Regards.

Get answers to your questions about Luxor