We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonesta question

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, Bonny...
Level Contributor
126 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sonesta question

We normally go to the Etap, (El Luxor), but due to Thomson cancelling it after our booking was accepted they tried to shift us to the Iberotel which we promptly told them where they could shove it and accepted the Sonesta as the only real available choice left due to the needs of our party. Now I have read both good and bad about this hotel and frankly we are not expecting anything fabulous and certainly not 5* but I am getting very concerned about the noise and dirt situation, (surly staff I can deal with). I'm a chronic insomniac and as I share a room with my 12 year old daughter, I spend most of the night on the balcony reading or just watching the world go by. On reading the reviews I am increasingly worried as to the fact that I will get neither peace or privacy on my balcony due to the building works that seem to be dragging on endlessly and Thomsons have still not informed us of any works at all!

What I'm asking is for those that have been lately or any expats who visit the hotel to honestly tell me if this is going to be an issue. We are staying in July so should the work be finished by then? What is the situation with the room cleanliness? If the work looks likely to be continuing while I am there then what noise interuptions can I truly expect,(specifically)? Best room to request to avoid disturbance? Any other info you think may help me decide if I should be contacting Thomson again lol. Thanks in advance people.

England
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonesta question

Hi Karnakbabe

there is another thread going on regarding this exact issue, but cant find it right now. I know KV explorer gave quite a bit of info on it in the posting. Perhaps one of the DE's will pop in and direct you to it. If not do a search on KV's recent postings (last week or so) and you should find it.

Click on his name in the DE part and then look at his contributions and you should find his postings then just dig through them til you find the one about sonesta.

Sorry I cant be more help but someone else might pop in who can direct you right to it.

YS

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonesta question

Hi Karnakbabe,

The post (of mine) Yasmine-sarah refers to is in the 'Urgent help required' thread, (thankyou YS) :-) so that may save you a search, LoL !

As a regular 'Etapian', with many stays at the Etap/Mecure/El Luxor over many years, I have also stayed at and been a regular visitor to the Sonesta, over the same period, so can 'compare' the two, from a 'staying guests' point of view.

Ignoring any building works for the moment, I would be surprised if you had many complaints about the Sonesta,(I certainly didn't) as, regardless of what star rating it is considered, it is most certainly a rating above the Etap, (and remember, I am an Etap fan, but am telling you it 'like it is', or at least as I see it).

The quality and selection of the breakfast, the restaurants, the room decor, the common 'public' areas (reception, lifts, etc) are all superior (in my view) to that which you will find at the Etap/Mercure/El Luxor.

The 'downside' being, that of course, as is usual with the higher star rated hotels, that everything (especially food, drinks etc.) costs sometimes considerably more.

Of course I don't know how well you may (or may not) interact with the staff there, but I have generally found them to be okay, although I must say, have found the reception staff to be a little 'frosty' at times.

There are quite a few TA members who are in Luxor now (or very soon) who are arranging to meet up at the Sonesta in the next few days, so maybe if one of those reads this thread, they can give you a bit of an update on the building situation and indeed I am in Luxor myself soon also, so can do the same, but that is not really going to help for July, as it may ALL be different by then.

And they say 'some like it HOT' and going in July, you are obviously one of them, LoL !

Hope this helps a little bit, :-)

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sonesta question

Hi Karnakbabe,

I'm off to Luxor on Wednesday, staying up at the Sheraton (was supposed to be El-Luxor but was left in same situation as you when Thomson's pulled out)

If you like I'll take a few photos when I'm passing and post them to webshots so you can have a look at the work still being carried out.

I'll have my netbook with me so hopefully will get the photos posted for you while I'm over there.

Suzie :-)

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sonesta question

I am going out again and will be staying at the Sonesta in May and will post some pics and a review when I come back.

I generally read the reviews on the hotels page then disregard them, as they really are very subjective, the problem is people are different and their expectations are different. My wife and I are really looking forward to staying at the Sonesta, that is another hotel we can say we have stayed at in Luxor.

Don't worry, I am sure you will love it.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sonesta question

Hi Karnakbabe

I will be staying at the Sonesta on 21st April. I stayed there twice last year. I can honestly say that we were not really disturbed by the building works last year, although to be fair we ventured out after breakfast and were out until sundown, just returning to clean up before going out locally for dinner. The 2 afternoons we did spend by the pool were spent agast at the workman climbing around on the very top of the roof as they fixed up the new banner on the very top floor. Not sure how much building work is going on at the moment but I will post when we get back.

I have never found issue with the cleanliness or the staff, both have been superb. The breakfasts and poolside snacks are excellent and I will also say that if you have a problem with your room and ask reception, they will move you, no problem at all. I changed from a North facing to a South facing room last year and this was done for us while we were away visiting Cairo for a coulple of days. Nothing was too much trouble.

I know different people will have different opinions and experiences but in mine I would stay at the Sonesta every time, it's become a real favourite of mine over the last few years. We used to stay at the Nile Palace but I prefer the side Nile Views at the Sonesta. On arrival, I ask to be put put in the closest room they have to the Nile on about floor 4 or 5. The views of the West Bank, the river and the sunsets are amazing.

I'm sure there will be plenty of posts regarding the extent of the building works as people return from their holidays to advise you and I hope you have a fantastic time at the Sonesta ; )

Edinburgh, Bonny...
Level Contributor
126 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sonesta question

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will have a look at KV thread and see if that eases my mind a bit although I would be very gratefull to those who are ready to go if you would post an update. I expected the areas and rooms to be nicer than the Etap and no doubt I will be pleasantly surprised by the breakfast, ( lets be honest I'm an Etaponian but their breakfasts have taken a dive this past few years lol). I realise that all changes very quick in Luxor when it comes to construction but surely they must be nearly finished by now and by the time I go it hopefully will just be decorating which I don't mind, it's more the noise that I am wary of. I was planning on insisting on a higher floor anyway for the view and traffic noise reduction but if they are still hammering away at midnight then I know there will be problems with that scenario. I guess I am just a bit on edge as last year we stayed at the JV for a change, (kids pool area for my daughter and zoo), and I was back at the Etap within 4 days because of the mosquitto problems and their tyrant of a manager who in my opinion had no customer care skills whatsoever. Anyway I look forward to an update and wish all of you lucky devils a good hol. BTW KV, I don't like it as hot as it has been getting this past couple of years but its the only time I can get away phew, (you get used to it after 20yrs lol). Karnakbabe

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sonesta question

Karnakbabe, I think you are worrying over nothing to be honest. The hotel is NOT going to allow workmen to be hammering at midnight (if they did everyone would be up in arms about it). In Oct I was in The Nile Palace next door and you couldn't hear anything from the hotel.

Relax and plan your next trip.

channel isles
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sonesta question

Hi there,

I can fully appreciate your concerns, as this time last year I was asking myself the same questions. I booked the Sonesta through Thomson last January on the recommendation of a friend. I then decided to consult Trip Advisor and spent the next 5 months focusing on the not-so-positive reviews regarding views/building work/noise and totally dis-regarding the positive reviews (why do we do that). I'm quite sensitive to noise at bedtime, and was more than a little concerned. Anyway, I needn't have worried. We were allocated a 3rd floor room with a partial Nile view over looking the waterworks (it really isn't as bad as it sounds). We didn't experience any noise at all from either the waterworks or the building works whilst we were. The room itself was spacious, clean and more importantly, quiet.. We didn't experience any noise from the building works whilst we were lounging by the pool either. The Hotel is of a good standrard, most staff were excellent, but this Hotel is not 5* by UK standards. Take that into account and you won't be disappointed. Put it this way, I've re-booked and am going back for 2 weeks in June so it can't be all that bad (or noisy).

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sonesta question

karnakbabe,

if it's any help I stayed at the Sonesta in February and noise was not a problem. I was on the Nile Palace side (even numbers) and could see a little work going on during the day but it wasn't noisy at all. There was no noise ever at night, apart from when Egypt won the African cup!!

I would definitley say not to worry, you will have a lovely time. I have already booked again for the same time next year.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sonesta question

Hello Karnakbabe

As you will know, Suziesooze is over in Luxor at the moment. She has asked me to post this message: "They are adding several extra floors to Sonesta, framework is up and looks like brickwork etc. will be starting soon."

I would think that if she finds a minute while there, she will expand on that for you, but it sounds fairly major.

Edited: 15 April 2010, 08:11