We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Howard Carter's House

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Howard Carter's House

Hi from a very HOT and sunny Luxor.

Today I visited Howard Carter's House, really can't believe this wee gem of a museum is free of charge.

Apart from all the exhibits there is an informative video which has been excellently done by an actor portraying Howard Carter telling the story of the discovery of KV62

I took a few photos (sorry i know i still need to rotate some!!!) travel.webshots.com/album/577358527dLTrlH

To anyone planning on visiting Luxor I highly recommend you visit, there were a few children there at the time and they looked to be enjoying seeing some of the "old stuff"

I also spent a few hours in Valley of the Kings, it was busy busy busy with the majority of tombs having queue's (and I got there at 7am!!!)

But, feeling energetic I climbed a wee bit into the hills around KV43 - Tuthmosis 4 and sat for over 30 minutes taking in the simply breathtaking views and watching all the tourists in the valley below.

After that I went to Valley of the Queens, it was now after 12 and unbelievably hot but still enjoyed it.

Am now heading out for dinner and my daily Tahina fix lol!!!!!

And to all those heading out in the next week or so, am keeping my fingers crossed the volcanic ash cloud will not affect your travel plans in any way.

Suzie.

PS - My mum had a go at someone in a tomb who took out their fancy mobile phone and started taking photos - he now knows in no uncertain terms "folk like him have ruined it for everyone" and the guard chased after him - wonder if he was made to pay the 2000LE fine?????

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Howard Carter's House

Hi Suzie

Good to hear you are having a great time - and good for your mum!! Well done to her for telling someone off for using the camera on their phone.

Keep the reports coming when you can!! But don't forget to have some 'chill-out time' too!! lol

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Howard Carter's House

Hi Suzie,

Glad you enjoyed Howard Carter's House. It really is a gem isn't it! I'm pleased to see that it's still free of charge too. I hope to go back to it next time I'm in Luxor as I somehow missed the video bit.

Is the refreshment area open yet?

Enjoy the rest of your visit.

Edinburgh, Bonny...
Level Contributor
126 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Howard Carter's House

Extremely jealous but glad you are having fun Suzie.

When are these people going to understand if they want their kids and grandkids to see the beautiful art in those tombs, they cannot take photos! It makes me so mad. It's been a few years since I walked the ridge, I envy you it's so peaceful up there but my daughter would never make it lol.

Have lots of fun and I will continue my own July countdown.

Karnakbabe

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Howard Carter's House

Thanks for the photos, this place is at the top of my list for August!

Northumberland, UK
Level Contributor
327 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Howard Carter's House

Hi All

Yes I enjoyed this special place, especially as it was free - but I also didin't see the video so a good excuse to return next time. A lovely spot which I then also enjoyed the next day with two other recently qualified balloon pilots who enjoyed taking me right over the top of it when I said I'd just visited the day before - a rare treat as I'd never floated in this direction before. But anyway a great place to visit - you really can close your eyes & imagine Howard back in there busy developing photos of all they'd seen the day before. Totally recommended.

Jan, the balloon pilot

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,434 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Howard Carter's House

Boy that was quick with the pictures!!

Well lit & beautifully exposed & sharp. Like them a lot - will have to go there ourselves next time. We have passed it on our assorted trips, but never stopped.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Howard Carter's House

Thanks Suzie, a new place to add to the wishlist! lovely photos and looking forward to more updates:)

Long Beach, NY
Level Contributor
876 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Howard Carter's House

Thanks for posting your photos, Suzie.

Have you noticed those shadowy figures in photo #15? Could you have photographed the ghosts of Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon?

(Just kidding….!)

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Howard Carter's House

Ooooh I'll have to have a look for shadows in the photo.

Not got time to upload the ones I took today at the moment but early this morning I went to Deir El Medina, such a shame the few tourists who visit only seem to go into the tombs and not take time to walk up to the temple too - i had the temple all to myself and in the distance I could see the balloons floating along.

Also visited Merenptah Temple - LOVED the anubis with the red nostrils (sadly no photos in the small museum), again no tourists.

Then onto Ramesseum, only another two tourists.

And finally onto Seti 1st Temple, no tourists there either.

Such a shame that everyone seems to pass these temples by, will post photos when I get the chance.

Have now sadly cancelled trips to Aswan and Cairo to try and save the pennies should the worst happen and I'm stranded over here due to the volcano in Iceland.

Suzie

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,434 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Howard Carter's House

|When we visited Hathor's Temple near Deir el Medina our guide told us that few people visited because the other guides told their customers they needed another ticket to go there.

This way they didn't have to walk up the hill thro' the village in the heat!

An extra ticket is NOT required!!!

Ghosts in pictures - It's Mrs eLaRef & I - Since we can't be there in body - we're there in SPIRIT!!

Keep clicking away. It's better to attempt a photo rather than not. Photoshop can repair some bad pictures, but it can't create them!

If you get stuck there, because of the ash, and run out of money, you could always start up a tour guide company!