We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doing our own thing..........

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Doing our own thing..........

having read many reports on here we are doing our own trips when on our cruise in June.

quite happy we think generally, but would appreciate if someone could give an indication of what 4 of us could expect to pay to arrange our own trip to Abu Simbel........? ( since the first choice trip is £99 each........ ouch ! ) Any additional info appreciated..........

Thanks all.x

jak717
Level Contributor
204 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doing our own thing..........

hi there, we did the trip to abu simbel last year at the same time as the other people on our cruise boat did it but i organised it before we went. Paid 490 EGP (just under 60 GBP at today's rate) in total. Two of us went. We paid our own entrance fee (sorry cant remember how much this was). Worked out at about a third of the price everyone else paid and we had our own air conditioned car and the driver wanted to be at the front of the convoy so we arrived before everyone else, spent as much time there and arrived back at the boat long before the others too! Its an early start (approx 3am) but well worth it, i wouldnt have missed it for the world. If you want the details of who we booked with pls send me a private message, they were a good company who we booked several trips with and were happy with the service.

Have a great time :-)

jak717
Level Contributor
204 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doing our own thing..........

ps. just checked company we used and they are currently quoting following prices (for a party of 4), to give you an idea

transport only = 22 GBP each

transport, entrance fee + guide = 38 GBP each

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doing our own thing..........

thanks for that..........

I will PM you & would appreciate the info on the company you suggested ( although we are still unsure if we just want to arrange something with a local taxi driver......? ) good idea to have options though.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doing our own thing..........

The driver will probably not be the sort of taxi driver you hail in the street but more of a chauffeur. He may speak some English. The poster said they had an airconditioned car and these are often very nice saloon cars, eg a Mercedes. As there are 4 of you you may well get a minibus to yourself, especially if you take a guide. You really don't need to worry about the car or the driver.

The entrance charge is a few pounds sterling but it is what it is. NB if you have students, they should show their student cards, unless they are obviously children.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doing our own thing..........

thanks for that.

still a little confused ( doesn't take much !! lol ) are we best booking something online witha local company Before we go? ( if so any recommendations ) or, through reception on the boat with a local driver, or do it ourselves & go get our own driver outside at Aswan & Luxor.

cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Doing our own thing..........

lubbo,

By far your cheapest option is to do it yourself with a local taxi driver when you are there, but you WILL need to haggle, to get the best price.

Just to give you an example of the difference it can make, when on a cruise me and my Missus done a trip to Philae temple with a local taxi, and including the motorboat hire (to get to Philae Island were the temple is situated) and the addmission into the temple itself, (both of which we paid seperately ourselves) it cost us about £8 each (pp) in total and it just followed the 'tour bus' which our fellow passengers from our cruise boat were on, but the difference being, that they had paid £55 each (pp) to the tour rep.

Edited: 11 May 2010, 14:03
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doing our own thing..........

Nice one........

think we are More than happy with the Aswan - Philae, & any Luxor trips with a local taxi.

A little more concerned with Abu Simbel, since there will be 4 of us ( & we're not small !! ) I do want us to be comfortable for the Long trip & I dont know if a taxi would be the best option?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Doing our own thing..........

My advice for that one would be, to go into a local tour company in Aswan,(there are many mentioned on this forum, or you could post your question on the Aswan forum) and haggle for a deal and if you choose to go by road, they will take you in an A/C minibus, so you should have plenty of room.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Doing our own thing..........

cheers.

you're a gem........ the advise very much appreciated & taken onboard (excuse the pun), homework commences here..............

edinburgh
Level Contributor
88 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doing our own thing..........

Hi, just a word of caution lubbo - when arranging Abu Simbel trip DO ensure you know what transport you will be using. We travelled by minibus in March (arranged locally and pretty cheap) but the journey was pretty awful due to the ancient minibus with very small seats which were just hollows in a metal frame. There were three across and a pull-down one in the aisle, we were packed like sardines and unable to move. We are quite small people too! I believe that there is one company which operates most of the minibuses and we did see other, newer looking ones on the the convoy, but ours really was bad. Suggest a taxi would be much more comfortable, I vowed that if doing it again I'd pay more and go by coach next time! It is a long journey and if you are a bit larger people it would be VERY uncomfortable. Having said that AS is wonderful and awe-inspiring, you will not regret going, enjoy.