We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked again

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Topic
Booked again

Well I've done it booked my flight for 27th October, just the hotel to find now.

Has anyone else flown Thomson Fly (flight only), they have said the relevant visa need to be obtained, but I don't want to get them until Luxor airport obviously, are they strict on this or what?

How many sl***s to go now, any ideas eLareF.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked again

Hi Bob,

Do you think you're taking a chance by doing it seperately?

According to that TV program last night, they reckon that the BIG volcano, next door to the one that caused all the problems recently, is 'odds on' to throw up within a year or so.

Fingers crossed it won't, but I sharn't be happy if I lose another holiday and will never shop at Iceland again !

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked again

Hiya mate howya doing fella.

no i don't think I will have many concerns about the BIG volcano, my flight will be covered under the EU regulations regarding flights from UK and I will pay for my hotel using my credit card, that way it is covered under the credit card regs.

I have to admit though, I have never booked a holiday separate, I am only doing it this time because the price for a holiday to Luxor in Oct is around £1,300 for the Mrs and me (I only paid £724 in May) and my flight from Birmingham is £580 on 27th Oct, so I can save some money (eLaReF, Marlscat, Suzie) you have taught me well my tutors lol.

Good news about the shisha, still as plentiful as ever.

Edited: 09 June 2010, 20:05
bury st edmunds
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked again

Hi Bob,

I booked all mine separately last time no probs what soever, I didnt fly with Thomson, but monarch and then i managed to get the hotel pretty cheap on its own as well through another website, I was still as well looked after as if i had done it on a package and wouldnt hesitate in doing it again. I did get a chance to walk through the sonesta last time but still my preference is the nile palace :) Havent booked mine yet, keep looking, but not entirely sure when I am going again yet, so will keep looking and organise when is best, I did peruse many sites to find a good deal for a hotel as well, when you said £580 was that for both of you??

Thanks

Sandy

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked again

Yes for both of us, flying from Birmingham, I will now try to find a decent, but reasonably cheap hotel.

london
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked again

Hi, booked also on the same flight. Booked separately but thru' Travel Republic who are members of ABTA so should be ok in the event of more ash.

For some reason holidays to Luxor have escalated in price this year.... could it be all the coverage it has had in the Sunday supplements?

Lancashire
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked again

Paps - you're certainly not wrong about the price of holidays going up this year - I was totally shocked when I booked ours for August, and had to do some careful shopping otherwise the same holiday as last year would have ended up costing around £150 - £200 extra - GULP! (one week in a suite at the Isis flying from Manchester, flight and hotel booked separately)

Ended up booking a package with Thompson staying at the El Luxor, swayed by the opinions of you good people here on TA re the hotel :-). Worked out considerably cheaper for us (family of three)

Will post my thoughts on the El Luxor when I get back

lincoln
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked again

I always book thompson from birmingham and then look thro all to get the hotel el luxor there is plenty of sites to go on so keep looking. Even next week thompson flight came up under 200 pound. we got a flight and el luxor for 800 pound for 2 weeks on 30th june

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,368 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked again

I think the 'visa' in the Thomsons deal is just to cover their backs - if you phone them up they will probably tell you to get it from the embassy in London !!

Sure you will be fine just getting it at airport as per usual.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked again

Having worked, briefly, on check-in/boarding of fllights, at Manchester Airport, I knnow that we required to access Thompson's check-in system (Britannia at that time) to confirm visa requirements for passengers who didn't have one already and Egypt was always listed as being a "Visa on Arrival" destination. This meant that you could, as a UK citizen, be accepted to fly to Egypt without having obtained the visa beforehand.

Unless their system has changed this should still be built into it, and up to date, as the airline faces a £10,000 fine for each passenger refused entry to the destination country.

Does leave me wondering if this is a way of getting people who don't know the score to take them up on an overpriced visa service?

lincoln
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked again

We always fly THOMPSON and get our visa at luxor air port on arriveing