We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nightlife & beer prices

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cardiff
Level Contributor
88 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
nightlife & beer prices

hello everyone

can anyone please tell me is nightlife restricted to hotels or are there any bars ect, and is the price of beer ect ok or verry expensive

thankyou

blackpool
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nightlife & beer prices

nightlife mostly in hotels some bars murpheys kings head beer prices vary murpheys 17egy. st josepth 17egy second drink12egy happy hour 8 till 9 10 till 11 sonester 30egy nile palace 40egy

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nightlife & beer prices

Unfortunately, Luxor is not a 'nightlife' sort of place. You will find some independent bars and restaurants plus the bars in the hotels, although you'll also find that most hotel prices are higher than the independent places. The local beer (Sakkara and Stella) is not too bad actually, but you will find that any imported wines, spirits etc. are very expensive. There is local wine, which some folks find quite palatable, but I don't like it at all.

We always buy our favourite tipple at the airport when leaving the UK, then buy our mixers in Luxor so that we can have a drink before we go out, then a nightcap when we come back in, and that always works well for us.

Most hotels put on some sort of entertainment, such as singers (and I use that term loosely!) or piano players etc. Some hotels, such as the Nile Palace, put on nightly shows (belly dancers, whirling dervish etc.) and others will do weekly ones (sometimes incorporated with a dinner and which you need to pay to attend).

It’s also good however just to get out of the usual tourists areas and have a walk through the back streets, where you can experience the ‘real’ Luxor. You’ve got to remember that Luxor is not a purpose-built tourist ‘resort’, it is a living, breathing, working town, and it is fascinating to see if you get off the beaten track.

lincoln
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nightlife & beer prices

We normaly get our cans beer from duty free and have a drink befor we go out hotels far to exspencive. Then its btls not pints

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,093 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nightlife & beer prices

I would say that Luxor is fortunately ( as opposed to unfortunately) not a nightlife sort of place. If you want to do much drinking or go to nightclubs, Luxor is not for you. You can have a beer or a glass of wine with your meal in many restaurants and all the bigger hotels. It's probably UK prices which is wildly expensive for Egypt.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nightlife & beer prices

Maybe I should have said "Unfortunately, for some people, Luxor is not a 'nightlife' sort of place."

I like it just the way it is as well!!

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nightlife & beer prices

The above is all true, Luxor has little or nothing in common with tourist resorts in Europe. You won't find hordes of inebriated Brits staggering from bar to bar. Some of this is due to the fact that Egypt is a Muslim country. So whereas drinking within bars, hotels, etc is deemed allowable for tourists, being obviously drunk in the street would be guaranteed to cause offence.

The upside is that you can quietly enjoy what few bars there are without being bothered by idiots. If you want the liveliest place, Murphy's Irish Bar always seems popular with younger people in the evening and has a small dancefloor.

Edited: 10 June 2010, 19:44
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nightlife & beer prices

What are some of the names of the non-hotel independent bars? Is there one that is more of a sports bar or a Brit bar?

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,093 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nightlife & beer prices

I was there when Egypt played Algeria at football recently. All the males of the town were crowded into the coffeeshops to watch the game (they lost). But there was no alcohol involved. That's the sort of nightlife they have.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nightlife & beer prices

As already stated, Luxor is NOT a 'sports bar' or 'Brit bar' type of place. There's Murphy's Irish bar, but it is not just a bar, it serves food as well and I think they used to have some sort of disco. There's one called the Kings Head (never been), but I think it serves food too. There was also a place called Pub 2000 or something similar, but I have no idea if that even exists now - didn't go there either.

7 Days 7 Ways, which is a restaurant, had a 'pub' type of bar on the top floor - the Royal Oak I think it might have been called, but as things change so much in Luxor from one holiday to the next, all of that information might well be out-of-date. Most independent establishments sell food as well as alcohol, but remember too that not all restaurants sell alcohol with their meals.

Quite honestly, if you're looking for a bar/pub/nightclub sort of holiday, then Luxor will disappoint in that respect.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nightlife & beer prices

To add to the list of bars Marlscat has mentioned.

Another few TA members I have spoken to have mentioned JJ's up at Karnak a few times, they enjoy the atmosphere but did comment it was a bit "smoky". I guess this is the same with most bars and some restaurants in Luxor.