We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Aboudi Bookshop and Gaddis B/s and Bazaar

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Topic
Old Aboudi Bookshop and Gaddis B/s and Bazaar

Just to let you know thw old Aboudi Bookshop @ the Murbarak tourist bazzar has been raised to the ground.

Gaddis in front of the winter palace also has now stopped trading ready for the new OWP expansion, very sad news.

Also the Corniche North of the Luxor Museum towards Karnak looks like a giant trench.

Luxor is very quiet at the present and the traders look very down at heart.

Some very good deals to be had in the shops if you haggle in a gentle way.

Very Very HOT as of Monday the 14th June - Even the Egyptians are flustered with the heat.

When guy on the Corniche said welcome to Alaska and gave a big grin - nothing like the Egyptian sense of humour.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
172 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Aboudi Bookshop and Gaddis B/s and Bazaar

Dont you just love the Egyptian sense of humour?

We are going back in 3 weeks time and wonder just what will be left standing since last July.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Aboudi Bookshop and Gaddis B/s and Bazaar

I was under the impression that Gaddis had closed for the summer, as they always do. Are you sure the closure is to do with the re-development?

Regards,

Edward.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Aboudi Bookshop and Gaddis B/s and Bazaar

It's sad about Aboudi - Edward's blog reported this a wee while back when it happened. I shopped there a lot and will miss the shop for its fixed prices and no hassle.

The locals are funny - always welcoming you with a smile and 'Welcome to Alaska' - this year I'm actually just back from Alaska and we'll be wearing the Alaskan T-shirts when we next visit Luxor - the locals with love them!!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Aboudi Bookshop and Gaddis B/s and Bazaar

Oops - that should be the locals will love them. Wish that 'edit' button stayed on for longer than five minutes!! lol

London
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Aboudi Bookshop and Gaddis B/s and Bazaar

Hi Edward

I asked in the Winter Palace and they said Gaddis had gone because of the

redevelopment work - if I am wrong I stand corrected.

scotland
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Aboudi Bookshop and Gaddis B/s and Bazaar

I hope Gaddis is not going, I love that shop.........

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
252 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Aboudi Bookshop and Gaddis B/s and Bazaar

I was in Luxor on the day that Aboudi's Bookstore closed. They have opened another one next to the McDonalds and it is definitely the same guys. It is a nicer store, but they don't have the room they did before where you could make some very interesting discoveries and they didn't have a jewelry section. I usually have the people that come to Egypt with me do their shopping there, so that was a bit disappointing.

I also hope that Gaddis is only closed for the summer, they were a good fall back to shop at. I was very happy with the prices there and enjoyed the ladies working in there. But boy did the caleche drivers dislike the place. We almost had to force the guy to stop there. I had to be very insistent to the guy (which I really don't like to do in Egypt) to remind him that it was my 6th trip and I knew where I was going and that we weren't going to his special shop that his "cousin" owned.

lincoln
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Aboudi Bookshop and Gaddis B/s and Bazaar

Back in 2 weeks 30th june please leave some LUXOR standing

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Aboudi Bookshop and Gaddis B/s and Bazaar

RE: Gaddis & Co, Corniche, under Old Winter Palace,

They close every year from 1st June - 15th August.

There is nothing on their website to indicate that anything is different this year. As they have been in that location over a hundred years I think it would take fire, flood or pestilance or, failing that, the demolition of the OWP to move them!

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Aboudi Bookshop and Gaddis B/s and Bazaar

Oh no, Aboudis gone! Where will I buy lovely stationery and so forth now, no where to match it in Luxor. I suspect the giant trench is due to excavations currently underway uncovering the ancient way between Karnak and Luxor temples, masses of homes as well as shops etc are disappearing as a result.

Think I wil put Luxor on back burner for a while.