We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nile cruise - tips at the end

shropshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
nile cruise - tips at the end

when you put your tips in the envelope at the end of the cruise, what currency is it, egyptian pounds or british pounds?

thanks for any replies, sorry if it's a daft question!

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nile cruise - tips at the end

I would suggest that Egyptian pounds are best as this is the currency of the country and the one that the recipients can most easily use. Please don't use coins of any currency other than Egyptian as they cannot be changed at the banks.

London
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: nile cruise - tips at the end

I also give the cabin boys a couple of US Dollars (approx 11/12 Egyptian) as an incentive to look after me and the cabin, this is something I do on all cruises "Nile or Ocean"

If you have a regular waiter you may wish to give him some money after a day or so if he looks after you well, I always find that if you do this they go the extra mile for you.

If these guys do look after you, give them a little more at the end - it really works, or has done for me.

At the end of you cruise they usually give you and envelope with a guide figure the standard is around 15.00 English pounds, I get really annoyed when they as for the tip money at the start of the cruise as there is no reason for the crew to make an effort to please or assist you.

Stand your ground and say you will only tip at the end if the service is good.

And before anyone starts shouting at me I use US Dollars because you can always get single Dollars in the UK and they can exchange them without problems in Egypt. Smaller Egyptian notes can be sometimes a little difficult to get hold of.

They will not refuse English pounds so this may be an easier option for you, or if you wish Egyptian pounds.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nile cruise - tips at the end

I use $1 as well as I usually have a few hanging around but for general tips at the end of a cruise i use Egyptian money.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nile cruise - tips at the end

The best thing to do is look under the top questions about Luxor section, which you'll find onthe right hand side of the page. If you click on the 'tipping' link, you'll find lots of other links which will take you to ample information on tipping.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,863 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nile cruise - tips at the end

Although tipping is meant to be optional, no doubt you will be told exactly how much you are expected to place in each envelope - try to view the "suggestion" as a guide rather than as a non-negotiable demand.

As for what currency to use.......... this is an opportunity to get rid of your Egyptian notes and coins (unless you are retaining it for "next time"), topping up the tips with sterling or US$, whatever you happen to be carrying.

I learned - from an Old Hand - always to carry a supply of pristine $1 notes as they make very acceptable small tips - not only in Egypt.

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: nile cruise - tips at the end

Hello missp27

In my experience English currency is much the preferred option - reason why? It is worth more than their pound - I usually ask this question of the tour guide and the answer never varies.

Have fun.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nile cruise - tips at the end

Just a reminder regarding giving English Pounds - please DO NOT even consider giving English £1 coins as tips. Just as here in the UK, local people cannot convert £1 coins (or any other foreign coin for that matter) into their own currency.

Yes, of course some will accept English notes (in good condition) etc. in payment for trips and goods, but please do not give local people coinage of any kind (unless of course it's Egyptian coinage).

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nile cruise - tips at the end

Stileto, I don't know how long it is since you were in Egypt but I have to disagree with you about tipping in English currency.

At risk of repeating myself, again, but to reduce the Repative strain on the fingers, I have copied this post from one I made some while ago.

I keep reading suggestions to tip local people with a £1. Obviously many don't realise that the locals cannot change UK £1 coins in the banks and Exchange places, just as we can't change small change from other countries in the UK.

For more useful information on tips and tipping have a look at the guide written by Marlscat:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i21328-Genera…

Giving out £1 coins and coins from other currencies results in:

The local recipients often pestering tourists for such coins - remember £1 can = EL10 (although not at the moment) which can be (locally) a very generous tip.

The local recipients unable to change the coins locally themselves so having to pester tourists to exchange money for them into either EL or notes from the visitors country. This has caused problems for some and then tourists complain of being scammed or ripped off.

The local recipient having to get involved with Egyptian 'money changers' who take a good cut from the value of the money being exchanged.

So please, when tipping, try to use local currency, tip fairly and resonably and remember your tip can make a huge difference to a families livelyhood and....how you handle the situation really does affect the way other tourists are treated in the future.

Edited: 23 June 2010, 16:58
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nile cruise - tips at the end

oops my fingers slipped in the middle of an edit and I didn't notice until I'd submitted.

The following paragraph should have appeared at the end and as it's very useful information I make no excuse for repeating it.

For more useful information on tips and tipping have a look at the guide written by Marlscat:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i21328-Genera…

Edited: 23 June 2010, 17:02
London
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: nile cruise - tips at the end

Stileto wrote:-

In my experience English currency is much the preferred option - reason why? It is worth more than their pound - I usually ask this question of the tour guide and the answer never varies.

Sorry your post does not make any sense.

Of course the English pound is worth more,8 Egyptian to 1 English its depends on a countries money system and value etc.

To be honest I take tour guides with a pinch of salt on a Nile Cruise.

Alot of places prefer the Dollar as it has a good buying power in the world market.

Get answers to your questions about Luxor