We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fair Trade Store

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
326 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Fair Trade Store

Is the Fair Trade store still open? Could you tell me how to get to it from the docks at Luxor?

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fair Trade Store

The "Fair Trade" shop is so successful they have opened another branch, it is about three hundred yards from the original one.

As for getting there from he cruise boats; if you're on one of the Jaz boats it will take all of three or four minutes to walk to either shop, from the Magic 1 will take about ten to fifteen minutes. However if you're on the Fleurette, or many others, they are a fifteen minute taxi ride away.

The boat moorings are all the way along the river, and Luxor is built on the river, so some boats are very close by to everything and some are up to 7 km away from the centre of town. Really, you need to look at a map to get an idea of where things are. Luxortraveltips have some good ones, have a look. Luxor is a small place, and if you boat is moored in the right place then you can just stroll around at your leisure, it's great!

Best wishes,

Edward.

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
London
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fair Trade Store

It is behind Luxor Temple, you cant miss it.

Look out for Mcdonalds and it is a few shops down from there (this is the new one) the old one is just a few mins walk away next to the Horus Hotel.

They do have some really nice items for sale and everything is priced.

Mentioned in this post
Luxor Temple
Luxor Temple
3,343 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fair Trade Store

It should be remembered that these two shops, although they use the term "Fair Trade" as their shop name, are not the only shops which sell fairly traded products. Just because other shop owners don't play this card, doesn't mean that their wares are any less fairly traded, I'm certain that fair trade goods are on sale in the two Habiba shops. I know that the Australian lady owner travels the length and breadth of Egypt to source items which are "different" than much of the run of the mill tourist tat which is generally available elsewhere. And her stuff is priced as well.

Get a good look around, and you might be surprised by what you can find out.

Best wishes,

Edward.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
326 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fair Trade Store

Thank you so much for your replies. We will be on the MS Neptune and Im not sure where they dock. I did a google earth overlook and most things look walkable.

Edinburgh, Bonny...
Level Contributor
126 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fair Trade Store

Edward would you mind giving directions to Habiba please. Going in just over a work and would like to have a look. Thanks

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fair Trade Store

Habiba is just off Karnak Street, towards the tourist souk. If you stand in front of the Susanna Hotel and take the pathway on your right, between the hotel and the "Santa Claus" ladies fashion shop, Habiba is on the right after about ten or fifteen metres. The other branch is at Karnak, on the main road nearby to the Luxor Hilton.

Hope this is helpful,

Edward.

Mentioned in this post
Susanna Hotel
Susanna Hotel
68 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fair Trade Store

Habiba reviews here:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Fair Trade centre reviews here: tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
9 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fair Trade Store

Can you tell me anything about the Gate 1 trip you took? We are leaving 1/13/11 for a 15 day trip. Comments, suggestions?

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
326 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fair Trade Store

Marlscat had a note about us taking the Gate1 trip but we aren't leaving until March 18th.

Everyone has been so helpful on these forums. I will definitely do a write up when we get back (or as we are on the trip!).

Excited beyond belief......

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fair Trade Store

These links will take you directly to The Fair Trade Shop and also Habiba. Hopefully it will help you identify what they sell and where from, and also the location.

http://www.egyptfairtrade.org/index.html

http://www.habibagallery.com/

There is also the Nubian Centre out near the Bridge. There are workshops there as well as display and sales areas. Sorry I don't have a direct link for this but this one is to an article about it which may be of interest:

luxoregypt.org/English/…Nubianvillage.aspx

I believe Ayisaha, opposite the Emilio Hotel is also a 'Fair Trade' Shop.

There may well be others, as Edward has said, that trade with Fair Trade policies but do not use this as part of their advertising.

Mentioned in this post
Emilio Hotel
Emilio Hotel
144 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt