We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dilema

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
dilema

Hi

I will be on a 3 centre holiday in September 7 nights Luxor, 3 nights Aswan and 4 nights cruising Lake Nasser.

I have been to Egypt before and as I remember I took currency and sterling travellers cheques. I only used the travellers cheques on the cruise boat, I used them to pay for extra excursions.

This time I was happy to take cash, but after reading a recent thread regarding travellers cheques I am wondering if it would be more prudent to take either travellers cheques or one of the prepaid sterling cards you can now get or just cash.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I am now rather uncertain

Bikingbint

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dilema

I always take a combo of travellers cheques and cash. TC can be replaced if they get lost or stolen but I am not sure if that facility would apply to a pre-paid card ?..so to be on the safer side I take both.

However, there are plenty of people who just take their cards and withdraw cash from ATMs etc as well as those who simply take cash.

I am not sure theres a definitive answer to this question because everyone does what they feel comfortable with doing.

You may want to consider how much cash you will need and for what. I take it that all excursions are included on your cruise and you will know what meals are included at the hotels so you may want to budget for what you think you will need and decide then whether you will need ready cash, how much access to an ATM you will have (tho most hotels have one) and whether you want to go to the hassle of taking your passport out if you want to change a TC.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dilema

I think it's a matter of personal choice really. We normally take a combination of both Sterling and Sterling TCs but on our last holiday to Luxor taking cash only worked very well. We also recently travelled to Canada and Alaska and only took Sterling with us rather than TCs, and that worked also, but we had our credit cards etc. with us too as a back-up.

I think you'll just have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide what to do. Whether TCs or cash, we take a combination of larger denomination notes or TCs and also smaller ones so that nearer the end of the holiday we don't need to cash large amounts before travelling home and ending up with a large amount of foreign currency to take home (unless of course we intend to travel back - as in the case of Luxor!!).

I've put a little bit about TCs and cash etc. along with other stuff in this article

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294205-c141906/Lux…

I quite honestly think it'll be your personal decision at the end of day - whatever you feel happy and comfortable with.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dilema

I prefer to take cash and change £100 at a time. The majority stays in the hotel room safe. That way, I don't a) carry too much Egyptian currency around with me, and b) don't end up with too much unused currency at the end of my trip.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dilema

Sorry, double post!!

Edited: 21 July 2010, 15:34
Rolleston-on-Dove...
Level Contributor
276 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dilema

Cash and cards for us. Travellers cheques are rather "Old Hat" if you ask me. When travelling with my girlfriend we split the money between us so at least one of us has got some if things go awry.

And as Alistair1967, the majority goes in the safe.

I phone the bank to tell them where I am and if any cards go missing I can phone and stop them.

Edited: 23 July 2010, 11:35
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dilema

According to a recent study in Europe about People's payment behavior it appeared that more and more tourists use old fashion ways of payment such as cash due to credit/debit cards cloning and cash machines fraud.

In Egypt I always use cash for small payments (restaurants, shopping...) and whenever I need more money I use cash machines located inside major banks. I never use street cash machines and I never give my credit card number to anyone.

CHEERS

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dilema

I did the financial comparison

- travel cheques =2% commission then free (unless you cash them at Amex)

- ATM card = min 3% loading plus withdrawal charges / foreign exchange fee etc etc by bank.

I'd rather spend my money on things I want rather than hand it over to the bank!

Useful advice here: moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…

Edited: 23 July 2010, 14:43
8. Re: dilema

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2011, 05:18