We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonesta St George - safety

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Sonesta St George - safety

We have are staying at Sonesta St George in November and have just read a couple of disturbing reviews about the recent additions to the building ie. cracks in balconies and risk of falling down!! Any views from someone who lives local or have holdayed there recently? I am still looking forward to our stay but am confused by the recent concerns about safety.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonesta St George - safety

Dotty, I stayed at the Sonesta in May this year. There was NO PROBLEMS with regard to safety at this hotel. The extensions are at the top of the hotel. I don't know what the problems with safety are all about. if you would like some photos of the Sonesta, pm me with your e-mail address and I will be happy to send them to you.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
172 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonesta St George - safety

Hi Dotty,

We stayed at the Sonesta for 1 night, that was enough, as l looked out on to the balcony the first morning of arrival l saw the crack, about 2" wide from my balcony,which was on the 4th floor, and looked up and down and the crack was from the top to the bottom of the building. Sorry but l could not have looked over the bacony and felt safe, i would have felt as if l was going to fall straight down, To add to the fact there was only room for two chairs,squeesing side by side, as long as you are 6 stone in weight and are able to hold your breath for a few mins.then yes the balconies are fine,but other than that look elswhere.

iI

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sonesta St George - safety

Hmmmm Edinburgh I read your review and that of Karnakbabe, made interesting reading. Whilst you are entitled to your view, it would have been nice to have shown some photos, so that people can see what you say you saw. if you have some photos please can you post them, as there are going to be a lot of people who have booked to stay there.

The balconies at the side are small, but IMHO not that small that you couldn't enjoy a drink at night, my wife and I went out on our balcony every night for a drink and a smoke before bed, no problems

You say you only spent i night at the hotel, did you move to the El Luxor with Karnakbabe.

Edinburgh, Bonny...
Level Contributor
126 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sonesta St George - safety

Hey Bob, I have the pictures just unable to upload as my computer has gone caput, borrowing a friends at the mo. Will get the pictures up as soon as I can. I understand that those that love the Sonesta will have a problem with my review, but I stand by everything I said because I was there and witnessed it! This is not about favourite hotels or a misplaced feeling of loyalty to a one particular hotel or another. Every hotel will undergo refurbishment and upgrade at any moment in time but sometimes the hotel should not be occupied at those times for safety reasons and that was my personal experience which I reported honestly in my review. I understand that some of the circumstances may have been an unfortunate timing coincidence ie: the sparks firing through the whole in the wall next to the lift on my floor, nor indeed the spaghetti junction of live electrical wiring that I walked out onto when I exited the banging lift on the pool floor. Not everyone would have experienced this as I said but that does not mean that it did not happen, it did!

I thought long and hard over the harshness of the review and if it was unfair and or unrealistic, but came to the conclusion that it was best to report my honest opinion rather than a fluff piece.

As I said, it is my opinion and only that so it is up to those that choose to read it and ponder and if you wish to disregard it, that is of course your choice. The review was my experience with the Sonesta and I, in no way speak for anyone other than myself and my daughter and personally wished that I had had my eyes opened before I got on the plane. Ah well at least it was hot hot hot!!! and I got some lovely pieces from the Fair Trade shop just by the souk entrance opposite the Mosque. Aslo witnessed a very loud argument by a shrill Englishwoman and a young Egyptian about money owed and 3 nights at a hotel! and all this while trying to have a quiet dinner with my 12 year old at a local restaurant! Not an experience I care to repeat yuck. New outdoor museum at Luxor Temple is really nice, lots of new additions and very comprehensive information.

Karnakbabe

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sonesta St George - safety

if you can post your photos that would be great, as I said in my reply if there is a problem people need to be warned, but it is better if there is visible (photo) evidence to back up some reviews, as it becomes nothing more than opinion (as we all know that is very subjective).

It just seemed strange that there was 2 reviews from similar people with the same complaint (as nobody else mentioned it), I now know you went with your family and they also posted a review. but if there is a problem also you should complain and make a noise as safety is paramount.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,090 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sonesta St George - safety

Egyptian safety standards are not the same as in the UK.

The building itself is not going to fall down. If you have concerns about your room, ask politely to be moved to another one. This is always possible, as in Egypt tourists often stay only one night in a place so there is always turnover.

liverpool
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sonesta St George - safety

As we know the Egytpian concept of health and safety is totaly non existent. On our 1st visit to the Sonesta we found that the patio door glass was completly cracked from top to bottom as though someone had chucked a large brick at it, when we went to to report it at reception, incase they thought we had done it and would be charged, and also the problem of it all falling out on someone when closing it, all we got was a shrug of the shoulders and the reply " Is it a problem "

We did however request to be moved to another room in case of an accident but it did take some argument and the use of the tour rep.

Edinburgh, Bonny...
Level Contributor
126 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sonesta St George - safety

I could not agree more and will upload the photos as soon as I can. I also agree that all opinions are sujective to alot of influences and would not encite the same reaction to one than they would another but you cannot really be anything other than incensed given the things I witnessed I would have thought? I do not expect Egyptian safety standards to be that of the UK but I do not think that no barriers and zero light with no warning or obstruction would be inappropriate under any circumstances, bearing in mind the floor was covered in live exposed wiring. This whole review was meant as a warning so people could be made aware that all is not as it first seems. It is up to others if they choose to accept the conditions I described. Unfortunately as par the agreement with Thomson, I am unable to disguss the agreement made in order to move hotel. I wish it were not so but I am a woman of my word but would hope that Thomson took the reasoning behind the move as adequate enough reason for an investigation.

Karnakbabe

Edited: 29 July 2010, 20:56
merseyside
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sonesta St George - safety

Seems a few people are not happy at the hotel. Spoke to 2 couples yesterday who were fuming about the hotel. I hope everything gets sorted quickly.

uk
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sonesta St George - safety

Oh dear, don't know what to think now. My partner is quite a level headed guy with a fair bit of knowlege about stuff like this so I will have to rely on his judgement and take it from there. That or just dont go out on the balcony which would be a shame seeing as we have paid extra for it. Maybe I will contact Cosmos and see what they say.