We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back - Monarch,Jolie Ville, Stargazing, Khoka tombs etc

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Just back - Monarch,Jolie Ville, Stargazing, Khoka tombs etc

Flew from Manchester with Monarch on Airbus A330. Had good seats which were in front of extra legroom about halfway down the plane so could recline them without having to ask. Pitch was a lot better than when I went with Thomas Cook last november. Headphones £2.50 but hardly worth the effort. No films shown.

Landing - Usual Tour Operator representatives trying to get you to buy their visa for £15 upwards. I did what I normally do and just headed straight for the visa booths on the left. Got visa for £10 with some LE given as change. Had to change a bit of money while there as I had none left from last time. Got just under 9le for the £.

Visa line has been set up so everyone had to queue one after the other. Took a while to get through to baggage but it was obviously busy.

Our baggage took over 1hour from landing to appear. Thought it had been left in Manchester at one point!

Jolie Ville - Had a room near to the infinity pool where I prefer to be. Room was fine and clean. Double wardrobe, lots of drawers, bedside cabinets, tv, table and chairs.

Kettle, tea (Lipton), coffee (Nescafe), sugar and creamer already in the room. Fridge, basket of fruit and flowers too.

Bathroom was clean although as most regulars know on here they do need updating. It doesn't bother me what colour the walls are as long as its clean. Lots of toiletries, flannels and a loofah! Hairdryer, bathrobes and slippers set out ready too from the hotel.

Hotel still has a taxi list. Private message me with your email address if you want me to send it. I also have a map of the JV if you want this too.

Free wi-fi in room , reception, pool and most areas around the resort. Worked ok most of the time and was a nice bonus.

We were invited to a cocktail party at the hotel which is for regulars. Nice to meet the new manager and have a look at the plans for the extra rooms. Have to say that although some don't want it to happen I can see why they are doing it and it looks quite impressive.

Infinity pool was as fab as ever. I could spend all day in there and sometimes have to drag myself out of it to go into Luxor!

Breakfasts still ample with plenty of choice. Fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, pastries, toast, croissants, eggs, omelettes, pancakes , waffles and lots of other things.

We ate at the hotel a few nights and have to say that the food is even better than when I was last there. I would love however to see more Egyptian food on the menu.

Beer 30le, water 13le, coke/fanta/sprite 15le . Movenpick ice cream 14le a scoop!

Saw Ramses the camel and a little horse called Julie who were on their walks most days around the gardens. Pair of them are really sweet.

Trips - Got a taxi and went to West Bank. Did Valley of Kings, Carter House, Hatshepsut, Medinat Habu and Khoka tombs all in one morning. Hard work but as we only had a week I had to fit in a few things.

Karnak Temple - Again got a taxi and arrived early (about 0630) before it got crowded and the heat got too much.

Stargazing - I have briefly mentioned this whilst in Luxor on here. Absolutely fantastic trip and one I highly recommend. Contacted them via email. Kris who runs it replied to my emails quickly and arranged to meet at my hotel to talk through what we would actually do.

On the night of the trip we were picked up at 8.15pm. Driven to outskirts (took about 20mins) where we were met with cold drinks and egyptian tea.

Sky was full of stars and we saw fantastic closeups of the moon, Saturn, Mars, Venus and different star constellations. Also saw 2 shooting stars and an unusual Egypt moving star that Kris might tell you about if you go on the trip!

Have to say that he made the trip even more interesting with his obvious enthusiasm about the stars and planets. Price we paid was 180le adult 90le child under 12 and included all drinks. There is also another trip with them that includes an Egyptian meal & drinks which costs 360le adult 180le child. You can contact them via email at space.observers.luxor@gmail.com. I hear they are at the moment sorting out a website but don't know how long it will take.

Sofra was unfortunately not open on time. I have though been told that they should (lol fingers crossed) be open in a weeks time. Went to Jamboree and cried into their movenpick ice cream for 7le instead!

Souk- Not so much hassle but enough to deter a few people probably. Got a few nice scarves for a couple of le, Stella to take away- bottle or cans for 8le (small open type place tucked away in the souk!!). People I was with bought cheap keyrings, compact make up mirrors, bracelets(wood/stone and string type), pharonic figures and various other small items.

Money - rate was hovering at just under 9le to the £.

Weather - gloriously hot of course , just how I now like it!

All in all had a fab time ;-)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back - Monarch,Jolie Ville, Stargazing, Khoka tombs etc

Hi Kaz and welcome home

Sounds like you had a fab trip and packed a lot in to your holiday. I saw the other day that the exchange rate had risen a bit, which is good news. Not sure I could cope with the August heat though!!

I expect now it's back down to earth with a bump with the washing machine going at full pelt!!!

liverpool
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back - Monarch,Jolie Ville, Stargazing, Khoka tombs etc

Thanks for the report Kaz x

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,208 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back - Monarch,Jolie Ville, Stargazing, Khoka tombs etc

The stargazing trip sounds nice. I will try that next time.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
626 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back - Monarch,Jolie Ville, Stargazing, Khoka tombs etc

Great report as always, Kaz, I'll be PMing for the info you offered.

You've certainly fired our imagination for the stargazing trip - just got to decide if a picnic in the desert can be worth LE180 a pop on top of the fee for the actual stargazing - any idea what's included?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back - Monarch,Jolie Ville, Stargazing, Khoka tombs etc

Welcome Back - Glad you had a good (but busy) time

I'm with the rest re the stargazing - will have to give it serious thought for our next visit.

I've not been to the JV - Which restaurant were you eating in? (I'll now get shot down by all & sundry telling me there only is one!)

jak717
Level Contributor
204 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back - Monarch,Jolie Ville, Stargazing, Khoka tombs etc

hi there, great report. cant wait to get to the JV next week :-) Im also looking to do the stargazing trip, think my son will really enjoy it too and its something different. Can this be booked through the various agents in Luxor?

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back - Monarch,Jolie Ville, Stargazing, Khoka tombs etc

The stargazing is not available, I believe, until sometime in september. Think somebody put it up on a recent post. Might be worth checking by emailing the company if you are going soon.

As for the meal I have read that it is provided by a good restaurant in Luxor?? Sofra sprang to mind but maybe I am wrong??

Jak717 - you can book I think with Thomas Cook or book yourself over the internet via the actual company.

Here are the details I was emailed by them....

1. Private Tour : Star Gazing + Oriental Dinner

PRICE : 360 EGP per person - 180 EGP per child under 12 years

DAY ON REQUEST : Sunday – Monday – Wednesday – Friday – Saturday

transportation between hotel on Luxor East Bank and our site in desert and back to the hotel

an Oriental dinner at our site

sweets, shisha, tea and soft drinks (no alcohol)

guiding in English : You get the information about the stars, planets, deepsky objects that evening and you can discover all this beauty through our Meade 12" telescopes

police permission

The above rate valid for a minimum of 4 guests.

If you are less than 4 persons, we can try to find you company to join you.

2. Joining a group : Star Gazing

PRICE : 180 EGP per person - 90 EGP per child under 12 years

FIXED DAYS : Tuesday – Thursday

transportation between hotel on Luxor East Bank and our site in desert and back to the hotel

tea and soft drinks (no alcohol)

guiding in English : You get the information about the stars, planets, deepsky objects that evening and you can discover all this beauty through our Meade 12" telescopes

police permission

A Group Tour is 99 % guaranteed to happen twice a week (if we do not have bad weather conditions or other things preventing us from going)

Elaref - ate at La Fleur, outside pool terrace (Nakhil I think it is called) and the Sherazade which is outside reception (apologies if i have the wrong names and areas!). You can choose from any menu apart from obviously at La Fleur which is a la carte. The salads are enormous so if anyone is ordering them just get one as the baladi and greek salad was enough to feed 4.

Marlscat - washing done early this morning all dry, just finished ironing...yes I am organised!

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back - Monarch,Jolie Ville, Stargazing, Khoka tombs etc

Mediaskills - found about the food in the reviews section. Older posts say it was provided by Luxor's number 1 restaurant? Whereas new ones say that it is the bedouin's there that cook it. BTW the local family who greet you are lovely. Going to send you the info you want now!

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back - Monarch,Jolie Ville, Stargazing, Khoka tombs etc

Does anyone know if Sofra is open yet?

10. Re: Just back - Monarch,Jolie Ville, Stargazing, Khoka tombs etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2011, 05:34
Get answers to your questions about Luxor