We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jolie Ville or Winter Pavillion?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Weybridge
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Jolie Ville or Winter Pavillion?

Does anyone have recent experience of both? The plus for me for the JV is the bungalow accommodation. The minuses are the mosquitos and the ongoing (?) renovation works.

The WP seems to have finished its renovation project (?) and I am assuming is not troubled by mosquitos as it does not have an island site like the JV.

Also, what is the expected taxi fare from the airport to either hotel

Any input would be much appreciated.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jolie Ville or Winter Pavillion?

The biggest downside (IMHO) with the Jolie Ville is its position. It is certainly a very nice hotel, with fabulous pools. The last time that I had a chat with one of the management, he assured me that they were proud of having "the best hotel in Luxor". Two things to say about that statement, 1 it isn't actually IN Luxor and 2 As far as being the best hotel NEAR Luxor: that accolade would probably go to the Al Moudira!

Although I wouldn't stay there again (mainly because of the position) if you want to just chill out by a pool, and not bother with the life of the town then the JV might suit you down to the ground.

The Winter Palace Pavilion, on the other hand, is one of the best placed hotels in Luxor, certainly (along with its rather grander brother the Winter Palace) the best placed"quality" hotel. Within three or four minutes safe walk you are in the thick of the very foreignness that Luxor is famous for.

The choice between them depends on what you are hoping to gain from your holiday.

Hope this is helpful,

Edward.

Manchester
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jolie Ville or Winter Pavillion?

Hi. I can only comment about the JV where I have spent the last fortnight and I have not had a problem with mossies as they spray the place twice a day and the building work has not affected the holiday. I personally wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,065 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jolie Ville or Winter Pavillion?

I'm on Edward's side re the Pavillon.

Just step outside (especially if you use the staff entrance) and you are in the middle of town & you have Luxor Temple next door if you go out the front.

I think I would also rate the gardens & pool above the JV's surrounds.

Like straceytowers, I have just been there for the last fortnight, but in the Pavillon!

If you are taking children I would say the Pavillon was the wrong choice.

Suziesooze has stayed tat the JV previously and is in Luxor at the moment. She had a walk round the Pavillon gardens when we were there so will be able to do a comparison - Once she gets back

Edited: 28 September 2010, 22:37
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jolie Ville or Winter Pavillion?

I've not stayed at the JV but my preference is for the Winter Pavilion purely on the location, pool and gardens. Although virtually in the middle of town surrounded by noisy local streets, you don't seem to notice that at all when lounging at the pool - it's like a little oasis and is just wonderful. For some views of the hotel and others of Luxor, click on the link below to see my albums

http://community.webshots.com/user/marlscat

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,089 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jolie Ville or Winter Pavillion?

I used to like the JOlie Ville and never had any problem with mosquitoes. But recently they have reduced the shuttles into town and seem to be selling themselves more as just a resort hotel. I am slightly afraid it will be full of peo;le who aren't interested in Egypt.

I would go for the WP in future out of the two.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jolie Ville or Winter Pavillion?

Winter Palace Pavillion every time - JV, nice hotel but too isolated as is the Sofitel Karnak and 'Uber Expensive' Hilton.

Seen it as low as £24.00 a night on Moneysupermarket.com

Check they havn't started work on the new extension before you go, seems to be just the hoarding up at the moment.

Taxi is less than £5.00 sterling from the airport if you haggle...

Edited: 29 September 2010, 09:49
Arundel, United...
Level Contributor
367 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jolie Ville or Winter Pavillion?

We had a week at each earlier this year as we couldn't decide. I think the WPP just about won as we like the location in the middle of Luxor, and the pool was heated. Bigger, lighter rooms also. The gardens and river views are the best thing about the Jolie Ville. Its much busier and the meals/drinks are expensive. We will probably stay at both again, makes for a more varied holiday.

Weybridge
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jolie Ville or Winter Pavillion?

Hi

Thanks for the fabulous photos, my husband finally had time to look at them over the weekend and we will now be making a booking

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,065 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jolie Ville or Winter Pavillion?

I've been back since marlscat & I met there in April 2009 ( Sep't '10 actually!)

More photos of the Winter Palace (Ignore the joke 'Pavilion' folder - it's a l-o-n-g story) are at my webshots page as well http://community.webshots.com/user/elaref

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jolie Ville or Winter Pavillion?

we have just got back from the JV and though we weren't bothered by the works over the coming weeks thease will become more intrusive they are getting ready to open the new reception area and from the sounds of it start work around the restaruants also pools are being closed for maintancewe were told from this wednesday i will be posting a review later