We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is it about Luxor?

West Midlands
Level Contributor
194 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
What is it about Luxor?

Went to Luxor again this summer, our third trip. We were going to have a change next year, and go somewhere else........ BUT, looked at the photos again last week, and i really want to go back!! Is it just me or does something about Luxor get right under your skin? Never felt like this about anywhere else abroad. Children and I just have to persuade husband now................ lol!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is it about Luxor?

You have a severe case of Luxoritis - unfortunately there is no cure. You just have to keep going back for repeat visits to alleviate the symptoms!!

And no, it's not just you - you will be glad to know that there are loads of people out there who feel the same way.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
194 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is it about Luxor?

Well Marlscat, didn't realise it was an officially recognised medical condition!!! Yes, do indeed need to return to aleviate symptoms!!

Edited: 19 October 2010, 14:37
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is it about Luxor?

The unfortunate thing is though that your GP will refuse to give you a prescription!! I'm afraid you will have to go 'private' and foot the bill yourself!! lol

oxford
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is it about Luxor?

Hi,

we too had a week in Luxor and a week at 3Corners in Masaa Allam. It was a bit of a culture shock and we did have a few niggles. We were dissapointed with the food at the El Luxor hotel and 3 Corners but since we have come home we have realised what a really good holiday it was. And yes I think if we had the funds we would go back next week as there is so much we would like to do. Also we would be a little bit more savvy next time.

Roll on 2011.

Cheers Ken.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is it about Luxor?

The onset of the most severe form of Luxoritis is demonstrated by a need to be at the travel agent booking your next holiday to Luxor, either the day you get home, or, if you get home too late, early the next day.

It doesn't sound as if you have it too badly, yet, but, as Marlscat said - 'No Known Cure'

Relief is ONLY obtained by returning to Luxor.

Mrs eLareF & I used to be renowned for visiting odd places (look at my travel map) then, around 6 years ago we returned. (Our 1st visit had been as part of the usual Nile Cruise thing around 20 years ago)

Now we've been that often I've ended up a DE!!!

Edited: 19 October 2010, 16:31
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is it about Luxor?

It's almost 'SNAP' eLaReF!! Our first visit was to Cairo many moons ago with a mini cruise from Cyprus - the next year was a Nile cruise and stay in Luxor and the rest, well that's all history now, and I ended up as a DE too, but very much suffering withdrawal symptoms as although I have been on holidays this year, none of them have been to Luxor!!!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,426 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is it about Luxor?

I think it's the smell. When you get off the plane the place has a very characteristic smell. It's subliminal.

But I like Aswan a similar amount, am trying a trip to Middle Egypt in Feb, and hope AWT will run another trip to the Gilf Kebir next year.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is it about Luxor?

Well, I blame the Mrs. !

I too have quite a varied travel map and had been to many places around the world and always thought it was a bit of a 'waste' to go to the same place twice.

Then I hooked up with the Mrs.who hadn't been anywhere, but ONLY wanted to go to Egypt, so, I took her there !

That was many years and more than 30 trips there ago and she STILL only wants to go to Luxor, only now, I feel the same !

And I haven't got the first idea what it is about the place, but just have to keep going back !

Be advised, it can be a very expensive condition, LoL !

liverpool
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is it about Luxor?

On my first trip to luxor I had a strange feeling that at last I had come home somehow. It is always in my heart and thoughts

Edited: 20 October 2010, 17:53
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is it about Luxor?

We got it so badly that we had to up sticks and come here to live, leaving our three children like orphans, and my dear old Mother to the whims of my siblings!

Edward.