We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

know clothing topic been done to death but can you approve

emmalovesdolphins
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
know clothing topic been done to death but can you approve

my luggage....

OK Im 27 and takingt he following:

For Daytime

Cropped linen trousers

cropped combat trousers (past knee)

tshirts (not low cut)

kaftans

are the tshirts a no go because showing arms

Eveneing

Long maxi dresses with cardigans/pashmina

long skirts and vest tops with pashmina

if vest tops with long skirts and cardigans are not allowed then what is for the evening.....im going to be way too hot???

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: know clothing topic been done to death but can you approve

Hi,

I think you will be absolutely fine with that, it's similar to what I normally pack although I always make sure the t-shirts are not too clingy.

Suzie :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: know clothing topic been done to death but can you approve

That sounds fine to me too - Luxor is not a 'dressy' type of place, unless of course you are going to eat in the likes of the 1886 restaurant in the Old Winter Palace.

This dress code list (apologies if you've read it already) may help

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i20276-Dress_…

emmalovesdolphins
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: know clothing topic been done to death but can you approve

what about in the hotel? is it ok to wear strappy tops then if your only planning on staying in the grounds one night?

what do women wear to restaurants?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: know clothing topic been done to death but can you approve

Strappy tops or vest tops are fine in the hotels. You can buy fine wide cotton scarves in Luxor that are a great cool pashmina type cover-up if you are going to a restaurant.

Edited: 05 November 2010, 16:03
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: know clothing topic been done to death but can you approve

As Divadarling says, strappy tops are OK in and around the hotel and, during the day at the pool, normal bathing wear is acceptable (topless sunbathing however is not permitted). Some hotels do not like you to wear bathing attire inside the hotel, so it's preferable to cover up a bit if perhaps going into the hotel for lunch.

Most people wear smart but casual wear in restaurants - a pashmina or scarf is still great to have with you though as some of the air conditioning in many restaurants blasts out icy cold air, so you may need one to keep warm!!

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: know clothing topic been done to death but can you approve

Hello again :-)

I normally pack a few non clingy camisole type tops for evening wear which I team up with a lightweight shrug/bolero. Although I do see women go around with vest tops on they are just not something I feel happy wearing in Egypt, I am bigger built up top and like to dress to disguise my figure a little to avoid any unwanted attention or looks whether in the hotel or not!!!

Evening wear to restaurants, your maxi dresses, long skirts etc are absolutely perfect!!!

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: know clothing topic been done to death but can you approve

Sounds great. Long cotton skirts are very versatile for visits and for evenings.Our ship is very comfortable with very efficient air conditioning. Don't forget a wide-brimmed sunhat and good sunglasses as the sun is very powerful, even at 7 o'clock in the morning. We took some borrowed kaftans for the Egyptian night but you have listed that in your selection of clothes. Long scarves were popular with a number of women on the trips to protect shoulders and heads.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,243 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: know clothing topic been done to death but can you approve

Sounds fine but as someone said tshirts for day wear should ideally not be tight and should have sleeves.

Brighton,UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: know clothing topic been done to death but can you approve

HI, I am going to Luxor in feb for the first time to Egypt.Can I also clarify - are skirts & cropped trousers that are just below the knee ok or do they need to be longer? Is an ordianry t-shirt with short sleeves ok or do the sleeves need to be longer? Are fairly tight trousers not good? How about leggings with a tunic on top that comes halfway down thighs? Am I obsessing? (I am only going for a week & only taking hand luggage so want to make sure i taking stuff I can wear!) Thanks,

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: know clothing topic been done to death but can you approve

Pelly123,

What you are packing sounds absolutely fine :-)

My own personal preference is not to wear t-shirts that are too clingy or low cut, I stick to more shapeless baggy ones or if they are more fitted buy a size up.

Suzie

PS - I could never survive on hand luggage only I struggle with 20kg hold allowance - any tips on that front greatly appreciated ;-)