We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Luxor birding experience - Maritim Jolie grounds access

Fareham, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Any Luxor birding experience - Maritim Jolie grounds access

I'm a UK birder who will be in Luxor for a week in February. Can anybody answer the following for me?

I'm staying in the Sheraton but would like to pay a visit to the Maritim Jolie because of it's reputation as the birders place to visit in Luxor. Apparently it is the place to see Nile Valley Sunbird and lots of other species. Can anybody tell me if it possible for casual visitors to pass through the security gate onto the island or are only residents allowed through. I would assume that visitors would be allowed to use the bars and restaurants anyway.

Is the building work likely to stop me walking around the island or just parts of it?

I have heard of a Luxor bird guide called Abdul, has anybody come across him, does he have an e-mail adddress?

I undertand that felucca rides can be good for birds. Does anybody know if I need to ask to be taken anwhere specific.

If there are any birders with Luxor experience I'd be interested in any other tips that you can give me.

Thanks in advance

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Luxor birding experience - Maritim Jolie grounds access

I can't answer your specific questions but you may find the following links useful:

www.touregypt.net/featurestories/birding.htm

www.eeaa.gov.eg/English/main/protect_bird.asp

avibase.bsc-eoc.org/links/links.jsp…

http://birdinginegypt.com/

birdguides.com/estore/p-924-finding-birds-in…

www.sarusbirdtours.co.uk/tourinfo.aspx?id=112

I've added the last one because of the list of birds you may see in any particular area, not for any commercial reasons.

If you use the search box you should also find a couple of threads from last year on Birding in Egypt.

Fareham, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Luxor birding experience - Maritim Jolie grounds access

Thanks some good stuff there including Abdul's telephone no

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Luxor birding experience - Maritim Jolie grounds access

Can't help you on the specific points you've raised, as I've never stayed at the Jolie Ville and visit for the ancient monuments and people, but I can report from experience that you are pretty likely to encounter red kites, black kites, Nile kingfishers, Lanner falcons (one of these frequents Edfu temple, hunting the pigeons, if you can organise a day trip), swallows, swifts, common bullbulls and houpoes near the river. If you can make your way to the Ramesseum, there is a colony of bee eaters that inhabit the remains of tthe pylon.

Ohter than these, the main bird species I've encountered has been the, very familliar, sparrow; some of which are so used to humans that they will try to pinch food of your table at outdoor restaurants.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Luxor birding experience - Maritim Jolie grounds access

Hi Trevor,

Quite a few of these pictures travel.webshots.com/album/579355106aVheQY were taken in the grounds of the Jolie Ville Hotel.

I've not stayed there since last May so have no idea how the building work has affected the wildlife there or how much of the Island you can actually walk round now.

This photo of nesting birds was taken from a felucca …webshots.com/photo/2797331530102163115CsEOKz - when the captain found out my mum was a keen photographer he pointed out birds and wildlife along the river bank for her.

I took these two photos at the Ramesseum one morning around 7am - …webshots.com/photo/2936058230102163115zRQImp and …webshots.com/photo/2012191660102163115fxsFKf - I really had to use the zoom on my point and shoot camera for them.

Suzie

Edited: 04 January 2011, 21:19
The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Luxor birding experience - Maritim Jolie grounds access

Forgot to mention, I once visited the Jolie Ville as a non resident 4 or so years ago, we went by felucca and paid a small landing fee (around 20LE per person I think) and for that we got to look round the Island, buy a drink in the bar or some food from the restaurant, have look round the zoo but not use any of the facilities like the pools or gym. I know for 250LE you can hire a day room and get use of all the facilities in the hotel.

However I wouldn't want to fork out 250LE if the building work has affected the wildlife there if that's what's most important to you.

Fareham, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Luxor birding experience - Maritim Jolie grounds access

Thanks Edfu might be an extra bit of culture with some birds thrown in I like train rides.

Fareham, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Luxor birding experience - Maritim Jolie grounds access

Thanks nice to see Dragonfly pics another of my passions. Good to know that I can probably visit thye island for a small fee. Lets hope that all the wildlife hasn't been bulldozed away.

Your two pictures at the Ramesseum are Blue Cheeked BeeEaters not Sunbirds but just as exotic.

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Luxor birding experience - Maritim Jolie grounds access

Thanks Trevor, the names of the birds is 'really' not my strong point, I just point & shoot if I see a good picture and hope for the best! I'll update the file name.

Suzie :-)

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Luxor birding experience - Maritim Jolie grounds access

Hi Having just returned on the 22nd Dec from the JV...we can tell you that there is MAJOR building works going on!! We were there for two weeks of "HELL"...sorry but it was...grinding, drilling, hammering, dust and mess everywhere. so can honestly say there was not much wild life in evidence I'm afraid....unless you count the Egyptian and Romanian Builders....ahhh nearly forgot there's the greater spotted JV Gardeners........have some rare footage of one sitting perfectly still in teh bushes for at least 45 minutes without moving.....that must be some record ;-)

At least two thirds of the Island is under construction....and as for wildlife...sadly in the two weeks we were there...all we saw were a couple of cattle egrets...one or two whoopee (sp) and the odd crow and a few other small birds.....nothing like the amount that were there earlier in October. Sadly the building noise may well have scared them off...hopefully temporally...and they will return once the building works finishes....around 5 months!!

The Zoo...is open in its new location...but don't get too excited.....there's only a couple of donkeys, and bunch of rabbits and two monkeys, Jolie the Horse and two camels..and two Pelicans.....The Crocodile...has been "relocated" we were told...to Aswan......Hubby thinks they mean Aswan market as Handbags...but I'm hoping they really meant Aswan as in swimming in the dam!!

So not really sure it will be worth a visit just yet :-(

Edited: 04 January 2011, 22:30
Fareham, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Luxor birding experience - Maritim Jolie grounds access

Thanks for that , glad I'm not staying there. It seems stange that a hotel with a reputation built upon its environment could not have had a gentler approach.