We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pavilion Winter and the building works????

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
k8ty1971
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pavilion Winter and the building works????

Hi we are due to fly on 15th feb. Please could anyone update us on the building works, we have stayed at this hotel before and would really love an update before we go.

Many thanks Kate

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pavilion Winter and the building works????

Hi Kate,

OurLuxorFlat - Edward wrote a little about the works in his blog the other week

Hope you can open the link OK

…blogspot.com/2011/01/wedding-anniversary-at…

Suzie

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
626 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pavilion Winter and the building works????

We're considering the Pavilion Winter Palace as an alternative to the Jolie Ville if we (finally) return at Easter. Will the building work be finished by then?

Main reason for choosing the Pavilion would be to be easy distance from restaurants for evening meals in Luxor, and the ability to soak up more of the real backstreet atmosphere - whilst still being insulated from 'hassle central' in Little Britain.

We're still very much in two minds, as we loved the JV in 2008.

Other option would be the El Luxor, but that hotel seems to attract Marmite love/hate reviews whilst the Pavilion WP is much more consistent

BUT we can't find any Pavilion Winter Palace packages from Manchester in April .. unless TA Luxorphiles know better. Any pointers welcome.

Our only demands from a hotel are a peaceful, cool night's sleep in a comfy bed, good filter coffee and a decent breakfast to sustain us through 'til dinner.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pavilion Winter and the building works????

I'm (hopefully) going to be staying at this hotel later this year, so any information would be greatly appreciated by me too. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that all will be OK and that tour operators won't start to pull out of the hotel and put us up somewhere else!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pavilion Winter and the building works????

Hi Mediaskills

Have you tried Kuoni or Longwoods? I think there's also a firm called Classic Connections (or something like that!). I did look at prices (though not for April) on hotels4u.com and got some very favourable prices indeed. However, we have opted for a package in case that darn volcano rears its ugly head again!! It almost scuppered our holiday for last year so we don't want that happening again and felt that a package offered a little more protection. You could also always try Monarch holidays, Thomas Cook perhaps and maybe Thomsons and Cosmos.

Restless in Essex
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pavilion Winter and the building works????

We have had a letter from Cosmos this morning changing us from the Pavillion Winter Palace to the Sonesta St George, (departing UK on 7th Feb), apparently due to the building works, but on looking at the Sonesta St George comments people seem to be complaining about the building works there as well!!!

Bristol, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pavilion Winter and the building works????

I hadn't realised it was that bad as am due to travel there week after you and have just had letter informing of works but advising little disruption expected...hotel told me this before I had to ask and before travel co. did....I've been told by numerous people that were there when tower block part of hotel was knocked down that they didn't really notice that much.... I've been to Sonesta would def. not Choose to go now as like you I've heard lots of negatives and for me the surroundings and location are very important-Sonesta is too far out and close to 'little England' for my liking and to be honest too big and impersonal like some Spanish hotels (sorry Spain)....however that is only my opinion....a few people on here really know Luxor and this hotel v.well and are fqequent travellers-Elaref , Marlscat to name 2....search their posts and pic's as all were helpful to me...good luck and have a fab holiday,it'll be the first of many,Luxor/Egypt is truly addictive :o) Apologies for rushed response but am about to hit a no signal area! Anything I can help with just let me know. :o)

Bristol, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pavilion Winter and the building works????

If u haven't tried co-op travel I'd give them a go as they have loads of packages from different companies....for me this time I chose Pavillion over J.Ville due its fab location and rave revues from all concerned,bar the odd dissenter...I've stayed at El Luxor many times and doubt I'll go back-reasons,mainly deterioration in food and 'tiredness' of hotel-little has changed decor wise since my first visit 15 yrs ago and it was a tad jaded then....these are obviously only my opinions....on the plus side I thought it had aa great atmosphere and staff were lovely although I've heard on the grapevine these are sadly slipping too....when I was last there it was more like being in a busy hotel on the Costas and sadly guests made it worse and staff allowed it -think lager loutish behaviour and women pushing it by trying to go topless regularly on their sun deck ? If due to being cheaper than average cheap and cheerful package holiday to Spain/Greece etc...-I'm no snob /prude but believe in being respectful of the customs and laws of country's I visit afterall I'm their guest and would expect vice versa. If u haven't already looked at posts from the likes of Elaref,Marlscat etc.. I would asap as they have some great info,tips and pics...sorry to those of u I forgot. Any questions let me know,sorry about rushed reply-rubbish signal! Wherever and whenever u go hope u have a fab time (16th Feb for me :o).

Bristol, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pavilion Winter and the building works????

Marlscat,I'm heading out on the 16th Feb and due to being a true 'Luxorphile' I can't wait. I'll be staying at this hotel and have regular updates re.works and aren't unduly concerned,I've also spoken directly to the hotel directly. I'm travelling with the co-op but as with many operators they're only agents. I'm totally confident I'll have a fab time and am sure u will too! Must say I've loved all your posts etc.. Jayne.

Edited: 26 January 2011, 01:54
Bristol, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pavilion Winter and the building works????

I hadn't realised it was that bad as am due to travel there week after you and have just had letter informing of works but advising little disruption expected...hotel told me this before I had to ask and before travel co. did....I've been told by numerous people that were there when tower block part of hotel was knocked down that they didn't really notice that much.... I've been to Sonesta would def. not Choose to go now as like you I've heard lots of negatives and for me the surroundings and location are very important-Sonesta is too far out and close to 'little England' for my liking and to be honest too big and impersonal like some Spanish hotels (sorry Spain)....however that is only my opinion....a few people on here really know Luxor and this hotel v.well and are fqequent travellers-Elaref , Marlscat to name 2....search their posts and pic's as all were helpful to me...good luck and have a fab holiday,it'll be the first of many,Luxor/Egypt is truly addictive :o) Apologies for rushed response but am about to hit a no signal area! Anything I can help with just let me know. :o)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pavilion Winter and the building works????

Like superob I just had contact from my package deal operators changing me from the Pavillion to the Sonesta yesterday (26/01) for a booking in mid March with Monarch/Cosmos - 'on-site building works' were cited as the reason for the change. I wasn't too happy about being moved to the Sonesta (location) and made a request for the El Luxor as it was my original second choice at the time of booking. The exchange was granted and made but no financial adjustment was automatically offered (cheeky beggars) until I kicked up another fuss and demanded a figure that I felt was appropriate - by the end of the day I received a phone call not only granting me the adjustment but offering me one that was almost double what I had demanded! So that's all sorted now and my side-trip to Aswan has now been financed with the extra cash back :-)

Flights and extra legroom sorted, Luxor hotel sorted, Aswan hotel sorted, back to the exciting part and the rest of the itinerary planning...