We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unrest in Egypt

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
35 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Unrest in Egypt

What is the feeling about tourists travelling to Egypt in the next week or so. I am travelling to Luxor on Monday. Will the unrest in Cairo, spread to upper Egypt?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unrest in Egypt

I would be very concerned.

What I am seeing on the TV does not look good.

cumbria
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Unrest in Egypt

Cairo is not really a tourist city if you know what i mean ... but not like Luxor the people rely on tourist for the earings, if it does kick off in Luxor it will keep most tourist away , it will be so silly on there part if it kicks off ... i never knew that Mubarak was so disliked in Egypt

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Unrest in Egypt

Hi peterkirchem

Old hat, I know, but do check with the Foreign Office, their site will give you the best advice available, also, very important, check with your travel insurers to see what cover you have in the event of "unrest" developing further. You could try the Eyptian Embassy in London, but you may have to wait a while to be connected, best time would prob be about 3pm, which is when I have managed to get through on various occasions.

Best wishes

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Unrest in Egypt

Hi peterkirchem

There is an article on the Sky News site today which gives the full picture, it also states that Mubarek and family flew to UK yesterday.

Best wishes

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,677 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unrest in Egypt

'Will the unrest in Cairo, spread to upper Egypt?'

How can anyone really give an honest answer to this!

Of course it is natural to feel concern, and it is wise to be aware of the situation and it's developements as possible.

In another thread on one of the TA Egypt forums, someone was expressing their concerns about traveling to Egypt and Cairo in particular. They asked what precautions they could take. I copy below, an added to, version of my reply which I hope may be of help to others here:

The question was 'What precautions can I take?'

My response:

Other than...

- Check your Travel Company website or other information system regularly.

- Check your own countries Government/ Home Office Travel Advice/Warning site regularly.

(for British Citizans: http://ukinegypt.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/travel-advice/travel-advice-egypt)

- Register your travel information if above website allows you too - UK residents can certainly do this.

(for British Citizans: fco.gov.uk/en/… )

- Check your travel insurance policy is up to date and adequate.

- Check you have a contact system linked up - eg a named person at home who you can be in touch with and who can contact you easily with any updates.

All the above should really be a matter of course anyway whenever foreign travel is undertaken -we just get so used to travel that we don't think about them these days!

Once you've done all that - GO, ENJOY.

Keep your wits about you at all times - but then you should be doing this too - and it is possible to do this and RELAX too. :-)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unrest in Egypt

Reassurance from a luxor resident:

http://luxor-news.blogspot.com/

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Unrest in Egypt

Boring FS

It is not possible to give an "honest answer", all we can do is to offer advice and information - aided by Sky News and anything we come across, which is not blatant scaremongering.

With your frequent trips to Luxor, local friends and contacts, have you heard from anyone re the feeling about this from Luxor?

Best wishes

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,677 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unrest in Egypt

Stileto,

I spoke to one friend in Luxor last night about it. They knew in advance that protests were going to take place in Cairo, as did anyone else who's been following the news the last couple of weeks (I'm surprised so many are shocked after the event and had no idea there was going to be a protest in Cairo). Equally it must have been blasted all over Egyptian TV news - then again that could be a wrong assumption fo mine and it could have been blocked from broadcast! When I asked a direct question 'What do you think to the protests in Cairo?' the response I got was 'What protests?' 'What riots?' I don't think anyone was in the room listening in to our conversatin to make him speak this way but there must have been a reason he was so guarded. This was from a very bright and intelligent man, but one who is very angry and frustrated with the whole situation in Egypt. His, like so many families depend on the wages of those in the (extended) family that can earn, but their wages (when they get them) don't go up but the cost of daily living is rising quite fast.

Will the protests spread to Luxor? Personally, I don't think so. Although upper Egyptiand are as much as, if not more, affected by the higher prices/less chance to earn situation, they are also mindful that so much of their local income is from tourism and they really cannot afford to have that disrupted any further.

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Unrest in Egypt

Divadarling

Thanks so much for this update, I will pore over the pics time and time again. Aboudis bookshop! Open again, wonderful, I have been having a sort out, and came across letter pads and envelopes I bought there, ages ago, still in their original plastic bag, you know how you buy things, you still have some and put the spares away?

Best wishes

10. Re: Unrest in Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 January 2011, 21:35