We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there trouble in Luxor?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Is there trouble in Luxor?

I have just seen fco latest and the advice is not to travel unless essential and Luxor was listed, is it calm in Luxor?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,845 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Is there trouble in Luxor?

I think there is a difference between EasyJet, Monarch, Thomson, Thomas Cook etc acting as airlines and the same companies acting as package tour operators,

As an airline they need to keep flying their planes to collect returning passengers and they are free to take those people who wish/need to ignore the FCO advice - after all it is only advice and is probably over cautious. The airlines duty of care ends once the passenger reaches the destination airport.

A package tour operator has a much greater duty of care and it is surprising if package tours are still going ahead despite the FCO advice without at least an option to cancel or rebook.

If you have arranged your flights and accommodation separately then you have less chance of a refund from the suppliers and will need to claim on insurance.

Hinckley
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Is there trouble in Luxor?

I am a travel agent who sells a lot of luxor and nile cruise trips. regarding refunds etc. If it is an ATOL protected trip eg flight and hotel/cruise that has been bought as a package and not seperate items and the foreign office advice is still the same then you wont be going and will be offered a refund. The important thing is if it is ATOL protected. The operators will likely make a decision on Friday regarding Monday 7th departures but they cant send you if the FCO says it is not safe.

Regarding whether the operator will accept changes at the moment for future dates then that is down to them and will probably be on their website

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Is there trouble in Luxor?

Are you not watching the news? The tourist sites are closed. The telecommunications are spotty at best. I am absolutely heartbroken that I had to cancel my 2 week trip but my safety and more importantly peace of mind are more important. There are curfews...you can't be on the streets. What kind of vacation is that ? Stay home!

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Is there trouble in Luxor?

Hi. My last post was on pg 3. I have just spoken to my mom who is in and has lived in Luxor for 14 years. When i phoned she was on one of the roof terraces of a local hotel sunbathing 1.30pm! All is ok there, she does not feel worried at the moment. They have had the odd very small group of people setting fire to a couple of things ( one was the local police station) but that was soon sorted. They have police in the street as they always have done, the streets are fairly quiet and the local residents are very concerned that the tourists dont have a bad time and are been quite protective of those tousists who are going out of their hotels. People are still visiting Hatcheup ( however it is spelt!) and Luxor temple. The only problem is most people go to the West bank at 5-6 am and this is not possible with the curfew, not too much of a problem though at the min as the heat is fine still at 9am. All the hotels do have security at the door and this has been steped up as a precaution. i think the main problem people are facing in Luxor are the uncertainty of flights. Not many flights leave Luxor each week as it is and i think people are worried incase they stop the flights altogether. My mom is happy to stay put at the min but if i'd paid a lot of money to go here for my holiday, i would try and pospone as you will not have the same 'magical' experience a you would visiting another time.

Sorry about the spelling, im Dyslexic and dont have time to spell check it all individually today!

lincoln
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Is there trouble in Luxor?

thanks for the update england 82 my mind more a rest now have been worried about my egyption friends as i cant get in contact with then i think they may have moved to the village.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,674 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Is there trouble in Luxor?

Phone connections are still very hit and miss. From about 8 numbers dialled last night I only got one answer. Today I can't get an answer from anyone. I've put this down to perhaps different internet providers. I do think it's possible though that the plug could have been pulled on phones again today because of the call for strike action and to get over a million citizens on the street tomorrow. I stress this is just my thoughts though.

FCO updated website a little while ago.

…fco.gov.uk/en/…

Al Ain, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Is there trouble in Luxor?

I am afraid some people on the West Bank are not always the best informed.

There has been trouble in Luxor, gangs storming hotels, tear gas deployed, many fires and protests, I know people who have been there to see first hand. just not as well organises as here in Cairo. It was one of the first places tourists were taken out of, so take heed and wait a while before rebooking holidays.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
88. Re: Is there trouble in Luxor?

Tripikaka, there may be trouble in Luxor ( I am NOT there at present), BUT from the reports that are coming out of Luxor it is mild trouble. Tourists are not being targeted and are generally safe. There are NO reports on the television of the kind of major problems you report.

The problems is the way people view situation, one person may see something and view as a major inccident another may view it very differently. I am NOT saying there is nothing happening, BUT I am saying your view of the situation is different to others.

Whilst the people who are due to travel in the next week or two will have problems, give it a month or so and all will be back to something approaching normal.

Northumberland, UK
Level Contributor
327 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Is there trouble in Luxor?

Hi All

As to what things are like in Luxor at present I managed to get one mobile number to work last night & my friend now advised me NOT to come till things improve. He said they've stopped flying their balloons (don't know about the rest of the companies) not because of the curfew but because there are "too many people running around armed with guns to protect themselves & we couldn't be sure to keep the passengers safe in a situation like this". He said everyone is arming themselves because of a general lack of policing otherwise. He also feared what was going to result from today's One Million March wherever you are in Egypt. We agreed that if my flight is cancelled next week, then I will try for a later Spring date & hope things are better by then. That info is from someone who sees the East & West Bank regularly as their offices are in the town but their storage sheds are all on the West bank. So that's his account to put into the mix.

Jan, the balloon pilot

Brighton,UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: Is there trouble in Luxor?

My sister & I were due to fly to Luxor next monday with Easyjet.They have told us we will get a full refund if the flight is cancelled or if we want to cancel which they recommend, a credit note valid for 12 months so that's good news. My father was due to fly out yesterday with Egypt Air.He cancelled & they gave him a full refund, I think partly as a goodwill gesture as he is in his 70's.