We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson's & cancelled flights - latest

Northumberland, UK
Level Contributor
327 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson's & cancelled flights - latest

Hi All

A new update I thought everybody would like to hear about. I've just been phoned by Thomson's about my holiday - due to fly out for 1 week on the 9th Feb - & she said just to let me know that head office just informed them that I could change my dates (& I think my destination as well) if I now wanted BUT as my flight is still being scheduled to go next week, there wouldn't be any chance of a full refund. She said that tomorrow's flight, the 2nd is cancelled so those passengers can get a refund but not our flight. Well how barking mad is that? Because if I still chose to go next week, I'd be lucky to have any travel insurance that works still as a result of the FCO advice against all but essential travel. As it happens I'd already decided that I would try for a later date - which she's now investigating for me but I did think a refund option ought to be there as well. Any views?

Jan, the balloon pilot

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson's & cancelled flights - latest

Hi Jan

We too are/were due to head out Feb 9th. As I understand it, yes they have cancelled flights for this week (Feb 2nd) so refunds available. They are waiting to see what develops in the next few days. If the FCO advice remains as it is now then they will have no option but to cancel their Feb 9th departures and offer option of a refund. If the FCO advice changes and the advice NOT to go to Luxor is rescinded then the Feb 9th departures will go ahead, with, as you say, the option of changing dates but no full refund.

We are resigned to it being cancelled and being retired can arrange somethig else later.

Hope things get sorted quickly, obviously it is an inconvenience for us holidaymakers but a far more serious matter for the Egyptian people. Let's hope the final outcome is good for them.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson's & cancelled flights - latest

Jan, yes to an extent I can understand your position, BUT Thomson doesn't know what the situation will be in 8 days time. The uprising could end today or Friday and by the end of the weekend the FCO could change the advise given, therefore Thomson would fly again. They are not going to cancel a flight unless they have too.

It doesn't make it any easier for the tourist, but this situation is fast moving, anything can happen.

Northumberland, UK
Level Contributor
327 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson's & cancelled flights - latest

Hi All

Yes, Bob, I agree with what you say - but as at today the FCO advice is very clear & it was Thomson's who rung me to declare that the flight isn't going to be cancelled. So as at today there is no difference between the 2nd & the 9th - & they seem to be making a difference. Anyhow none of it matters as my view all along was that I'd try to re-book for a later date in the hope that life there starts to get back to normal & so I can enjoy Luxor in the way I usually do. So my date is now re-booked for the end of March. Let's hope things a bit better by then.

Jan

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson's & cancelled flights - latest

Latest updated information from Thomsons @ 2pm today

----------

Latest travel news

Egypt Demonstrations - 1400 hours Tuesday 1 February 2011

Following the reported demonstrations in Cairo and other locations, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office is now advising against all but essential travel to Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Suez. The advice states that those not needing to stay in Cairo / Alexandria and Suez should leave, however for all other areas of Egypt they are NOT advising British nationals to leave the country.

Taking this into consideration, ALL excursions to Cairo have been cancelled.

We can confirm that the situation in the tourist resorts of Sharm el Sheikh, Hurghada, Taba, and Marsa Alam is safe and is operating business as usual.

The safety of our customers and staff in the country remains our top priority. We continue to monitor the situation closely and work with the Federations of Tour Operations and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in order to plan appropriate steps should the advice change.

Advice for customers currently in Egypt and those set to depart imminently is as follows:

Luxor – As a precautionary measure and in light of the continuing advice regarding travel to Luxor, Thomson and First Choice has taken the decision to repatriate all its customers tomorrow (02 February 2011). The outbound flights due to operate will fly out empty to collect all customers and an extra flight has been laid on that will be returning.

· TOM 549 Luxor to Birmingham

· TOM 669 Luxor to Manchester

· TOM 243 Luxor to London Gatwick

· TOM 763 Luxor to Bristol

· TOM 757 Luxor to Luton

All customers travelling on a Thomson Airways flight-only booking in the next 7 days who are still in Luxor are advised to contact in the first instance our Resort Office on 0020 693 661 891 or if not our 24-hour holiday line 0044 2476 282228 immediately.

For those customers on a package holiday, whose holiday has been cut short, our After Travel team will contact you within 28 days of your return to the UK.

The following outbound flights to Luxor have been cancelled:

Wednesday 2 February

· TOM 548 Birmingham to Luxor

· TOM 668 Manchester to Luxor

· TOM 242 London Gatwick to Luxor

· TOM 762 Bristol to Luxor

Flights departing to Luxor on 9 February 2011 and beyond are being reviewed and decisions will be taken on their operation in the next couple of days. We would advise customers travelling on or after this date to check this website for more information.

Aswan – While we continue to monitor the situation closely, as a precautionary measure we took the decision to cancel our outbound flight to Aswan on Monday 31 January. Our Inbound flight operated as normal and the majority of customers in Aswan were bought back to the UK on their original flight. There are only a few flight-only customers remaining in resort.

Flights departing to Aswan on 7 February 2011 and beyond, these are being reviewed and decisions will be taken on their operation in the next couple of days. We would advise customers travelling on or after this date to check this website for more information.

Sharm el Sheikh – Thomson and First Choice can confirm that there have been no reports of any related incidents in Sharm el Sheikh or any other popular Red Sea tourist areas, where the majority of our customers are based. No curfews are in place and business is as usual.

Holidaymakers in the main resort, Naama Bay, are continuing to enjoy their break as normal. The resort has not been affected by the demonstrations taking place in other areas of Egypt which are taking place a considerable distance from Sharm el Sheikh - indeed, it is an eight hour drive from Cairo.

Hurghada - The Foreign and Commonwealth Office are advising against all but essential travel to Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Suez, therefore holidaymakers in Hurghada will not be affected and can continue their holiday as planned.

The resort is a considerable distance from Cairo (450km) and Luxor (290 km) and has not been affected by the demonstrations.

Marsa Alam - The Foreign and Commonwealth Office are advising against all but essential travel to Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Suez, therefore holidaymakers in Marsa Alam will not be affected and can continue their holiday as planned.

The resort is a considerable distance from Cairo (730km) and Luxor (350 km) and has not been affected by the demonstrations.

Taba - The Foreign and Commonwealth Office are advising against all but essential travel to Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Suez, therefore holidaymakers in Taba will not be affected and can continue their holiday as planned.

The resort is a considerable distance from Cairo, around an 8 hour drive.

Thomson Celebration - Thomson Cruises will adjust the Red Sea Magic itinerary in accordance with the latest Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice. This week’s itinerary has substituted Port Sokhna, Egypt with an overnight visit to Eilat, Israel.

Sailings past this date remain unchanged but we will review daily in accordance with the latest Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice.

Currently, normal booking conditions apply on the Thomson Celebrations’ Red Sea Magic itinerary.

General Information:

Our experienced resort team are also continue to update all customers with regards to the recent change to Foreign and Commonwealth advice and are on hand to answer any questions customers may have. All excursions in Luxor and to Cairo have been cancelled until further notice.

We would ask all flight-only customers to call 02476 282228 or text 82345 to provide a contact number for them whilst in Egypt so we can keep them updated with the latest information.

Booking conditions to Sharm el Sheikh, Marsa Alam, Taba and Hurgarda remain as normal. For customers due to travel to Aswan or Luxor up to and including Wednesday 9 February 2011, please call our helpline or visit the travel agent you booked with to discuss the options to you.

----------

Thomas Cook remains the same for the moment

Demonstrations in Egypt

Following demonstrations in Cairo and other locations, the FCO have updated their advice - they are now advising against all but essential travel to Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Suez.

Sharm el Sheikh

The Red Sea Resorts including Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada are not affected by the demonstrations, and are a considerable distance from Cairo and are served by their own airports.

Our experienced teams on the ground assure us that no tourist areas at the Red Sea have been affected in any way by the recent demonstrations.

They are fully operational and holiday makers are continuing to enjoy these popular resorts.

Flights to Sharm el Sheikh continue to operate as normal

Luxor

Thomas Cook has cancelled its outbound flights to Luxor due to take place on Wednesday 2nd February from Birmingham, Gatwick and Manchester. Customers due to travel on these flights are being contacted and are able to amend their holiday to another destination or receive a full refund.

The return flights on 2nd February from Luxor to the UK will operate as planned.

We will continue to review the situation for travel to Luxor, the next planned departures are due to take place on Wednesday 9th February.

---------

Ipswich, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson's & cancelled flights - latest

hi, i am due to fly to luxor on the 16th of febuary,i have spoken to thomos cook and they have said they have only cancelled flights this week so far,as you said that you were offered to to change your holiday to alternative dates are they going to make up the difference as i understand that changing your dated will make the holiday price higher.

would be gratfull of any advice thanks

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson's & cancelled flights - latest

MandyCross43,

AFAIK - if your holiday is cancelled you will be given the following choices:-

(a) Full refund.

OR

(b) A choice of changing departure date or a new destination. If the new holiday cost is more expensive you have to pay the difference, if it's cheaper they will refund the difference.

Hope this helps,

Suzie

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson's & cancelled flights - latest

Latest Update from Thomson and Thomas Cook

Latest Updates from Thomson and Thomas Cook

----------

THOMAS COOK

Luxor

Thomas Cook has cancelled its outbound flights to Luxor due to take place on Wednesday 9th February from Birmingham, Gatwick and Manchester. Customers due to travel on these flights are being contacted and are able to amend their holiday to another destination or receive a full refund..

We will continue to review the situation for travel to Luxor, the next planned departures are due to take place on Wednesday 16th February

----------

THOMSON

Latest travel news

Egypt Demonstrations - 1500 hours Wednesday 2 February 2011

Following the reported demonstrations in Cairo and other locations, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office is now advising against all but essential travel to Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Suez. The advice states that those not needing to stay in Cairo / Alexandria and Suez should leave, however for all other areas of Egypt they are NOT advising British nationals to leave the country.

Taking this into consideration, ALL excursions to Cairo have been cancelled.

We can confirm that the situation in the tourist resorts of Sharm el Sheikh, Hurghada, Taba, and Marsa Alam is safe and is operating business as usual.

The safety of our customers and staff in the country remains our top priority. We continue to monitor the situation closely and work with the Federations of Tour Operations and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in order to plan appropriate steps should the advice change.

Advice for customers currently in Egypt and those set to depart imminently is as follows:

Luxor – As a precautionary measure and in light of the continuing advice regarding travel to Luxor, Thomson and First Choice has taken the decision to repatriate all its customers today (2 February 2011). The outbound flights due to operate will fly out empty to collect all customers and an extra flight has been laid on that will be returning.

· TOM 549 Luxor to Birmingham

· TOM 757 Luxor to Luton

All customers travelling on a Thomson Airways flight-only booking in the next 14 days who are still in Luxor are advised to contact in the first instance our Resort Office on 0020 693 661 891 or if not our 24-hour holiday line 0044 2476 282228 immediately.

For those customers on a package holiday, whose holiday has been cut short, our After Travel team will contact you within 28 days of your return to the UK.

The following outbound flights to Luxor have been cancelled:

Wednesday 2 February

Wednesday 9 February

TOM 549 Luxor to Birmingham

Wednesday 16 February

Customers due to travel to Luxor beyond 16 February 2011 are advised to continue to check this website for the latest information. At present no decision has been taken to cancel these flights.

Aswan – As a precautionary measure, we have taken the decision to cancel all outbound flights to Aswan up to and including 24 April. The majority of customers holidaying in Aswan have now been bought back to the UK on their original flight and there are only a few flight-only customers remaining in resort.

----------

*** NOTE: ALL FLIGHTS BETWEEN GATWICK AND ASWAN CANCELLED UP TO AND INCLUDING 24TH APRIL ***

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson's & cancelled flights - latest

Just Phoned Thomson.

The woman advised the Gatwick flight to Aswan was not cancelled due to the current unrest in Egypt - It was a new route and sadly didn't get much interest.

I can remember them doing similar with the Newcastle to Luxor flight back in 2007.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson's & cancelled flights - latest

There are some unclear/mixed messages about what is cancelled and what is not. Make sure you check again with Thomson just before you travel to the airport. If you book through a travel agent they may contact the customer before Thomson does.

(My parents are/were due to fly Bristol-Luxor for a 7 day Nile cruise in 2 weeks and are sadly expecting their holiday to be cancelled)

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
9 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson's & cancelled flights - latest

…thomascook.com/thomascook/…

Thomas Cook is offering a lot of "advice" and pays its employees to paint a more rosy picture of the situation in social media - to avoid financial losses - more important than giving refunds to customers.

I attached a weblink about a consumer forum where people give some example about Thomas Cook's attitude.

On another place in Tripadvisor they give an eye witness report of teargas reaching the Sheraton ( the hotel where I am booked by thomson) . We'll need to follow up closely because I believe today again there were unrests in Luxor