Please could we try to keep this thread as on topic as possible.
KAZL2000, other recent returnees and local residents..
Would you mind answering some questions please that may help those still planning on visitng Luxor now or in the near future. These are not just my questions but a grouping together of questions that are appearing publicly on the forums or privately through pm's, emails etc. They are asked also in the hope that they would help remove some of the speculation and rumours that have been circulating over the last week.
- Sites and Monuments etc - There have been conflicting reports of the sites being open/closed, although it would seem pretty clear that the VofK's and area is open to tourisits.
Are you aware of any changes in the sites opening times?
Are you aware of any sites, museums etc that are not open?
Are the Sound and Light shows still functioning?
Are they closing early due to curfew or defying it & staying open?
Are they becoming more menu restricted?
Are prices being affected?
Are there any noticable differences to local shops/supermarkets or tourist shops being open or closed?
Are there any noticable differences to local shops/supermarkets (or tourist shops) stock levels?
Are there any noticable differences to local shops/supermarkets or tourist shops pricing levels.
- Banks/ATM's/Currency - We are aware that the Banks have been closed for some days, although believed opened again yesterday.
Are there any changes to opening times?
Are ATM's still working?
Are there any restrictions on amount of currency exchanged/withdrawn?
Has the exchange rate changed at all or noticably?
- Curfew - we are aware that there is an official curfew but that it has not really been enforced. It does, naturally, appear to have affected Ballooning and StarGazing.
Are there any other 'Tourist' things that it has affected?
Are there any definate 'No Go' areas in Luxor East or West?
- Nile Cruises
Are they still functioning as normal?
What about the Excursions from them - Kom Ombo, Edfu etc?
- Out of Luxor excursions.
Can you still travel by road/train to Aswan?
Can you still travel by road to Hurghada?
What about any safety implications of this?
- Airport - we understand that many flights have been rescheduled and that must put extra pressure on a relatively small airport and staff.
Are there any specific problems/new security measures going into or out of the Airport?
Do you need to allow extra time to travel to the Airport?
Do you need to allow extra time to go through the check in proceedures?
On arrival, are there any problems with connecting up with Reps/Transfers etc?
Are the Food/Drink outlets functioning?
Have the Food/Drink outlet prices gone up (already expensive!)?
- Destruction of Buildings and Property. It has been reported about the destruction of certain buildings - Local Government Offices etc.
Has any of this had any effect on tourists and tourism in the Luxor and surrounding area?
- Policing of Luxor
Who is Policing Luxor, especially the tourist areas?
Has there been an increase of Police in the area?
Are the army taking an active or passive role in Luxor?
What can tourists expect to see in this regard?
What is the general mood, from your perception, of the local people?
What is the general attitude of the local people towards tourists?
If you have other questions, information, suggestions, thoughts that may helpful please add them.